AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Peacocks Fighting
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:41 pm 

We just finished building our peafowl enclosure and currently have two peacocks (one white, one Indian blue) and four peahens in it together. They are only new to our property, so (as I have read on here) I need to keep them enclosed for at least six months, preferably twelve, therfore they are stuck in the enclosure for at least another four months minimum before I can let them out to start free-ranging.

The enclosure is 10m x 15m with a 2.5m high roof, well planted and lots of high perches.

My white peacock (Ulysses) has started attacking my Indian blue peacock (Picasso). For the past few days Ulysses has taken to chasing Picasso around and around the pen. Ulysses displays constantly, Picasso very, very rarely. Today I was in the enclosure and Picasso started to make one of his very rare displays and Ulysses really went for him, rushed over and jumped onto him. He has never attacked him like that before, just chased him.

I realise this will be because it is breeding season (they never had a problem with each other before), but do I need to divide off the enclosure (say Picasso on one side with two hens and Ulysses on the other with three hens), or will they sort out their dominance issues? Picasso is my favourite and I hate seeing him bullied.

Post subject: Re: Peacocks Fighting
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:24 pm 
­
­

Private Member: Yes
How long were they together before you put them in the new cage? Is Ulysses older than Picasso? I have had 2 or 3 peacocks together in one cage for 3 or 4 years in harmony then moved them to a new cage and suddenly they no longer get on, what triggers it I am not sure but new surroundings must play a big part ;) You may have to separate them

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:30 pm 

How do 2 peacocks go if they stay together from birth does that make them more compatable and friendly towards each other even if I eventually add 2 females to the coop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:02 pm 

PeacockNSW wrote:
How long were they together before you put them in the new cage? Is Ulysses older than Picasso? I have had 2 or 3 peacocks together in one cage for 3 or 4 years in harmony then moved them to a new cage and suddenly they no longer get on, what triggers it I am not sure but new surroundings must play a big part ;) You may have to separate them

They were together in their temporary cage for a couple of months and there was no sign of agression there, and the temporary cage was a lot smaller. However it wasn't breeding season then, we only moved them to the big pen a few weeks ago and now of course it is breeding season. I don't know their ages, unfortunately, I believe them to be around the same age (a couple of years old), but can't be sure.

We're going to divide the cage tomorrow, at least for the breeding season, then have a go at putting them in together again and see what happens. If they continue to fight, then Picasso and a couple of hens can free-range (they will have been here for over six months by then) and just keep Ulysses (the white) and his white wife and a couple of other hens in the enclosure. I'm not so worried about Picasso breeding (although I love him the best and in my opinion he is more beautiful than the whites), but would love the whites to breed and have also read (I think on this forum) that it is not recommended to let whites free-range.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:52 pm 
­
­

JD Smith wrote:
How do 2 peacocks go if they stay together from birth does that make them more compatable and friendly towards each other even if I eventually add 2 females to the coop

It can make no difference its all about personalities and some get on and some do not its like a lottery ;) so always be cautious at breeding season with more than 1 peacock together ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:59 pm 
­
­

ash1 wrote:
PeacockNSW wrote:

They were together in their temporary cage for a couple of months and there was no sign of agression there, and the temporary cage was a lot smaller. However it wasn't breeding season then, we only moved them to the big pen a few weeks ago and now of course it is breeding season. I don't know their ages, unfortunately, I believe them to be around the same age (a couple of years old), but can't be sure.

We're going to divide the cage tomorrow, at least for the breeding season, then have a go at putting them in together again and see what happens. If they continue to fight, then Picasso and a couple of hens can free-range (they will have been here for over six months by then) and just keep Ulysses (the white) and his white wife and a couple of other hens in the enclosure. I'm not so worried about Picasso breeding (although I love him the best and in my opinion he is more beautiful than the whites), but would love the whites to breed and have also read (I think on this forum) that it is not recommended to let whites free-range.

In small cages they will not settle so thats a big part of it and yes its breeding season so theres that but you can have more than 1 peacock together for breeding it depends on the peacocks personalities I have 1 cage with 3 peacock and 4 peahens and they all get on well and another cage with 2 and 2 and never a fight in years. Whites are perfect to free range I have many here out and about but they do stand out for foxes so don't let the peahen sit outside lock them back in the cage for breeding them let them out after ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:18 pm 

I mix a few together and no dramas but I also have a few peacocks I would never mix as they are just mean to others :shock:

George

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:08 am 

I have 1 peacock that hates all other including peahens and will attack at any chance he gets so I have no choice but to keep him on his own but I have always wonder why he is like this, any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:12 am 
­
­

thebluepeacock wrote:
I have 1 peacock that hates all other including peahens and will attack at any chance he gets so I have no choice but to keep him on his own but I have always wonder why he is like this, any ideas?

Is he pure IB? the hybrids of blue and green are aggressive and thats another reason never to cross them. If he is? he will always be that way and may eventually have a go at you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:11 pm 

Thanks for all the advice everyone. We divided the enclosure into two on the weekend and put Ulysses (white) in with the white hen, one split hen (or is it pied, I get confused?) and one of the Indian blue hens and put Picasso (blue) into the other half with two of the indian blue hens. So Ulysses gets three wives and Picasso two - I'm looking for another wife for Picasso.

Picasso has been displaying quite a bit since we separated the boys, and looks a lot happier. Hopefully we may now get chickies from both sides!