AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:15 am 
IN-ACTIVE
IN-ACTIVE

Hi PA. Is it true that the bronzing is due to stress??? In that photo of the Blues Bros on the perch that won the comp, their tails are really bronze, almost pink, and they were just sitting in the open avairy having a sunbake with all the rest of the peas.... their choice to be there. Scientifically I can't see how the feathers could change colour as there is no circulation through them (?) but I suppose they could change the angle of them so they appeared different??? Deb, you will have such fun with them. Don't stress too much, they will adapt. One we swapped with Tash this weekend hasn't come down from his perch yet that I have seen but I know he will. Not eyeballing them helps... you can usually get up very close if you don't stare straight at them. We think, and PA might not agree, that there are different temperaments too. Yours, Pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:26 am 

Thanks Pam, I enjoy my visits down to the pen, they seem to be settling in great.
The people I got them off told me about this bronzing, I thought ah huh, Zeus as I call my mature peacock was looking very nice and as soon as Wayne got into the pen to catch him he started going bronze, if I hadn't seen that with my own eyes I would have thought he was pulling my leg, the same thing happened with the older ones he has in a pen he had to walk through to get to the juvenilles. I have to admit I was quite amazed.

Zeus has now gone back to normal colour, so I am guessing he is now stress free :-?

Anyway it will be good to hear PA's opinion on this bronzing as I find it quite fasinating.

Take Care
Deb :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:51 pm 

the feathers will also go bronze with the slightest amount of moisture ;)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:04 pm 

So what you're saying is they were so scared they wet themselves. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:41 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:
My goodness was I that bad that the poor wee peas wet themselves :shock:

They seem happy now phew was a bit stressful for a few days here.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:16 am 

they didn't wet themselves :lol: :roll:
what was the weather like?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:43 am 

The day I picked them up last thursday was hot and sunny, I can't even remember it being cloudy that day.

Take Care
Deb :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:54 am 
IN-ACTIVE
IN-ACTIVE

Hi Deb. I reckon it is just because they fluff them up and they catch the light at a different angle. Also the pieds tend to have a different sheen on the blue and their tails too. PA may know differently! Pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:44 pm 
­
­

Hi all, The Bronzing in the Train is quite common in both STD Indian blues & Blue Pieds. It's not due to stress but by reflection from the irradiance and can vary from deep bronze to a pinkish bronze shade. It can also change with each seasonal moult and with the age of the Peacock and its train. Tahir is right in regards to moisture affecting the colour, when a Peacock is wet the train usually turns a bronze colour until it dries.

Thanks
P.A :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Who is on the Forum

Users browsing this forum: 10Geese, 6 Ducks, 70%cocoa, ABC Poultry, Adam Smith, Adeiela, Akeet, Alex Cooper, alexanderpeafowl, AlligatorCrkHeritageBreed, Alpine Poultry, Amature Chookz, andrewschooks, Appleton Australorps, arvoducks, Ash Maree, auctioneer, Avi Rare Breeds, Ayam Cemani, Backyard Chicken Chat, Backyard fowl, BaliDuckz, Bantam Rhode Island Red, Bantamenance, Barnywood, beakybird, bearfred, BeatenEgg, Beaudesert Mandarins, bemba, Ben Newton, benalla park, Bendigo Poultry, Berryjj, BigDucksOz, BigQuackers, birds101, Birds4u, birdsrock, Birdz4u, blackdotte, blackleghorn, BlackSwan, Blackswan1, Blue Australorps, bluefirelady, Bob Brookes, BokBok2, Boolaroo, Booths Bantams, Boxwood, Brad M, brerrabbit, Brian Jack, BriansPeas, broken bird, BROOKES POULTRY, BT Homestead, BUBO, Buff Pekins, Buggsy, BushPig, ButtercupBreedGroup, BYC, byhookorchook, Cackles, caladenia, Caladenia Cottage, Calum H, Cammo Qld, CamsBantams, Carawatha Chickens, Cashmere, castaway chicken, cc's poultry, Charmhaven Chooks, Cheesman Chooks, Chicken Unity, chicken-boy, Chicken07, chickenlittle, Chickens Mad, Chickhorn, Chook Lady, chookasaurus, chookgirl, chookiebum, ChookieG, ChookMamma, ChookMum, Chooks Galore, Chooks R Us, chookslife, chookyinoz, Christine Shaw, Chukar, Cliff Wyandotte Bantams, CluckyDeb, coastalchookies, Colac Sussex, ColacWaterfowl, Collector Peafowl, Connor Peafowl, cookie, Cordelia, Country Bird, CountryChookz, Cowhide, CrackerChook, Crash, Daggy Guineas, Daniel Lawton, Danny, Danny Brown, DARLING DOWNS PIGEONS, darrssy, daviburn, David Simons, DavidGraham, Deb Thomas, debbilee, Denis, Desborough Birds, Dianne Carter, DillDale, Dodds Birds, DragonsDen, Dreaming Guineas, duckyfromoz, Duckz44, Eason Chooks, Eat Chooks, Ecovald, eggnog, EggSellent, eggy, eugenia, Fancychooklady, Farmer Benji, Feathers01, Flash, FlockPheasants, fluff fur & feathers, FluffyBum Silkies, FowlMan, Fraggle, Frances Brahmas, Fraser Island, FrogLeap, Furze Chooks, Gaggle of Geese, Gails Guinea Fowl, Gamebreeder, GavinGoose, geckodan, Georges Birds, Ginny, girlfriday, Glen Fowler, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Golden Pond, Golden West Waterfowl, Goodwin Ducks, Goran, Goulburn Heritage Poultry, grabby, GreenWest, Greg Davies, GUINEA FOWL, guinea fowl galore, Guinea Fowl Troop, Guinea owner, guineafowl, GuineaHomer, Haggis, hairycanary, HAPPYHENS, Hardfeather, Hawkes, heggie, Heidi F, Heijo, Helenchooks, Henny Penny, HillbillyGirlWA, Hyline Brown, Ian B, infoaddict, Isa Brown, Isachooks, Island Fowl, Ivan J, J Hicks, jaffa, Jane Stewart, Janelle Marshall, Jane's Chooks, jap jumbo quails, jarryd, Jeff Duncan, Jen71, Jersey Giant, Jimboomba Poultry, John Cole, John Pike, johnstoneparksussex, JonksGuineas, jose, Josh Welsummers, jr, JRA, Judith King, Judy Appleton, Julie Hart, Kalimna Heritage Poultry, kardella poultry, Karlisa, Katy, KAZZA64, KellyP, KEMPSEY NAKED NECKS, Ken Johnstone, kezabel, Khaki_Ducks, Kin Kin Silkies, Kingscote Chickens, Kingsthorpe Fowl, klw, konopiste, KoopKing, kowie, KT, kyall3, LadyAmherst21, lanceview, Lawnton Poultry, Lesley Thomson, Leslie Cooper, Lilly, Linda P, Linz, Lozzy, LozzyR, LueT, luvmychook, madrex, MamasPyjamas, Mannie, Marek, Marengo Heritage Poultry, Margret Young, MaryJ, MaryJanet, Matt Knight, MattsGuineas, Mcginniss Fowl, meander, Melanie Y, MemoryLane, Milo, MinistryofDucks, Minorca&AndalusianStud, MinorcaCoop, mitchell07, MitchesMarans, Monique, Monto Poultry, MrPeabody, Mrpeewee, Ms Frankie, mummaroo, mycoola, Myflockoblues, mysticviews, NanangoGuineaBoy, nathanael bantams, NellyG, NEP, NepeanBirds, New England Watefowl, NightMare, Noel Cox, NSW King Quails, NZ Pekin Queen, Oaklands, Oldmanrooster, Olivia N, ONE TREE HILL, Ozchook, ozflock, ozguineafowl, ozibirds, O'Connor Sumatras, P_Edwards, Pam, Paul Clark, Peafowland, peamad, pearcey, Peel Waterfowl, PeepGuineafowl, Perth Pigeons, perthchooks, Peter Mead, Pheasant Man, Phil Thomas, PHILL, Pitts_Poultry, pj hatchery, Podgie, PossumCorner, Poulsen, Poultry, Poultry Hoarder, Poultry Matters, Poultry mum, Poultry Rare Breeds, poultrynut, PrestigePeafowl, Pretty boy, Priens Fowl, prorooster, Prouten, QuailFarmer, QuailQueenGC, QuailTales, Quailz, Quamby Chickens, Rainbow Chickens, Rawlinson, realimagery, redeyekeet, redjohanna, Reeves Family, Rhiannan H, Rhode Red, Rick Bobby, Ricky Bobby, Riverchase, RJJ Fowl, Rob Smith, Rod Taylor, Roger Parkin, Rohan, rollyard, Roma Runners, Rose, RossGuineaFowl, Roundyard, ruff, rwood, Sandra Clarke, SantaClaws, Scots Grey Stud, seeing_spots, shairlyn, Sharni N, shayne, Shelly Roberts, silver duckwing game, Smallflock, snowball, South Aust Rouen Ducks, SouthernDucks, SouthSussex, Sparky, splash laced Wyandotte, springcreek, Stark Waterfowls, Stelan, Stephen Richards, Steve Davies, Stewart Grant, Stuart Turner, Sue Clarke, Sue Hall, Sue Sheppard, Sue Wards, sue55, Sumatra Stud AU, sunrise, Sussex19, swiftwood pheasants, SwineoSam, SydneyOEG, T.A.S.S™ [Bot], TANYA, TazBarnies, The Barnyard, The Browns, The Chook Man, The Good Life, The Gotfeather, TheChookBlock, Tolmie Guinea Fowl, Tolmie Peafowl, Tolmie Pheasants, Toolern Vale Fowl, Trany Naked Neck, Tribe of Honk, Tropic Poultry, Trott Park, Trout Runner, Turkey Man, Varley Pheasants, Vella Layer Hens, Vicki Joy, Victorian Waterfowl, Violet Town, W Brown, warmblood, Webbs Orpingtons, WendyT, Wheatley Silkies, white modern game, Whittlesea Poultry, whittls, wildman, Willow Park Poultry, winglet, Wombatbird, Wonderful Silkies, Wongarra Poultry, Wood Duck, WotTheFlock, Yvette, Zanne and 5679984 guests