AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: A bit of advice needed (new member)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:24 pm 

I had a good look at the forums and was not able to find the answers (as my situation is a bit different).

I live in suburbia, on a small block of land, when we boguht the house there was a male peacock living in the garden, free roaming (as I understand he was living here for about 8 years). A beauty it is.
Spent all the day exploring neigbouthood but every night come back and slept on our verandah.

All was great for about a yer but about a month ago he disappeared.
We thought something happend to him and went into mourning (got very attached in meantime).

A few weeks ago we have found that he moved about a km away and settled in a garden of people living there, talked to them and they were feeeding him very nice food, asked them to stop feeding him, next day he moved on to another house a few hundred meters away.

Talked to new "owners" and they would love to see him go.

So back to the questions.

I have built a large (fitting to the car) wire cage. Thought about trapping him in it but have since read that wire cages are not a good idea to move them (all of 4 minutes).
Shall I use the cage?

I am thinking about catching him in the current place and bringing him home as I think he got lost.
Sounds like a goood idea?

How do I catch him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:46 am 

Welcome szopen, I don't know about peacocks but I did a similar thing with 2 guinea fowl that when awall and I caught them brought them home and kept them caged for almost 12 months now they stick around the house :-D

I hope you get him back, good luck :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:55 pm 

Went to the people in whose yard the peacock resides now. Their neighbours are getting a bit upset about the noise.

Thought about using a net to catch him.

Not so easy.

Any ideas on what is the best way to catch him safely without hurting him?

His wings are not clipped so he cane easily fly away.

Wondering if he forgot his way home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:13 pm 

make him drunk, then try catching him.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:40 pm 
­
­

Hi Szopen, we wrote an article on this but just need to find it, will post the link as soon as we do.

Thanks
P.A :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:07 am 

PEACOCKSAUSTRALIA wrote:
Hi Szopen, we wrote an article on this but just need to find it, will post the link as soon as we do.

Thanks

Thanks.
I will be waiting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:58 pm 
­
­

Hi szopen hope this helps: http://www.australianpoultryforum.com/v ... php?t=2385 it has worked well with quite a few people around Aust. Good luck.

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:38 am 

Big thanks for advice.

However I am very pleased that in the end it was not used.

He came back on his own.

Over last 2-3 days I heard him closer and closer so I knew that he might be on his way home. Previous night I dreamt about him being back (with some other peacock friends too).

Yesterday in the afternoon he could be heard from the neighbour yard and in the evening came back to our garden.

Like if nothing has happened went to his bowl and ate than sat in the shade for a while. When night arrived he went to the same spot on the veranda in front of my daughters window and went to sleep.

Fair bit of calling in the night made our sleep difficult.

But we are very happy to have him back in our garden.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:12 pm 

So glad that he returned by himself szopen...

That's the best news!

What do you feed him?

5 years ago two peacocks showed up at our place and grazed on the wild bird seed and sunflower seed that we put out for the wallabies and wild birds... one disappeared 3 years ago but Pretty Boy remained and is there every day... tends to go missing after shedding his tail feathers for a while but then returns and sits on our verandah railing until sunset then off he goes... he prances around the place as if he owns it, he honks to warn of encroaching vehicles or neighbours and gladly follows us around when we have food...

Just beautiful! He loves sultanas too! That was the beginning of our love for peacocks...

Cheers,
Mandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:46 am 

Ours wonders around during the day checking out all the neighbours gardens and comes back to sleep on our verandah. On hot days just stays in the shade in the garden.

His tail is in a beautiful state at the moment and the whole weekend he was tanding in front of our door honking so somebody would come out and look. As soon as the door opens he starts presenting (and it was a bit windy...) gets quiet for 30 minutes and starts again.

From reading around on this forum I realized that we are in a rather unusual situation as we live on maybe 800sqm and have a free roaming peacock, but as he has been living here for a long time people are used to him.

As far as his food is concerned we give him wild bird grain mix, chicken pellets, corn, cut greens. Must admit that his latest travel around seem to have spoiled him a bit as far as food is concerned. People in whose garden he was living for a while fed him strawberries, kiwi fruit, boiled and chopped carrots and lots of other treats so now he turns his nose on bok-choi.

I have seen the sultana thing here as well so we have tried it and he loves them.