AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: roul roul or crested wood partridge..
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:40 pm 

and sadly like goodoo (whom i'm not meaning to attack specifically), people make assumptions like such as that any bird named partridge must therefore have the same requirements to one another.

but chuckars originate in the arid western parts of the himalaya and mountains of the middle east. they can tolerate extreme seasonal temperatures from baking hot summer sun to snowy winters. some may make the mistake of thinking these birds can tolerate extended periods wet conditions, however which is wrong. cold snowy conditions do not equal wet ones. even a snow leopard will die in the cold if its coat gets wet from rain. the diet of chukars is made up of the seeds of many grasses and other flowering plants, as well as some insects.

roul rouls come from lowland tropical rainforest in southeast asia. they are strictly tropical but do not like dry conditions. they do not like sun. they like high humidity and can tolerate wetter conditions so long as they are in a warm climate. their diet is also made up of some seed, but anyone who has been to a true rainforest will know that grass is a rarity there. instead the seeds would be of the type from fruiting plants and trees - very different from what you might feed your domesticated chickens, parrots or chuckars. but an even larger portion of their diet would be made up of insects and fruit foraged on the leaf litter on the forest floor. and when it comes to bugs - not all are created equal. a mealworm is no substitute for a grub fattened up on green plant matter.

and its all these little details that makes ALL the difference.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:43 pm 

I presumed they were similar as I had not seen or heard of them before. I just looked them up and they are an amazing looking and interesting species.

Quote:
This small partridge is a resident breeder in lowland rainforests in south Burma, south Thailand, Malaysia, Sumatra and Borneo. Its nest is a ground scrape lined with leaves, which is concealed under a heap of leaf litter. Five or six white eggs are incubated for 18 days.
Unusually for a galliform species, the young are fed bill-to-bill by both parents instead of pecking from the ground, and although precocial, they roost in the nest while small.
The Crested Wood Partridge is evaluated as Near Threatened on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. It is listed on Appendix III of CITES.

I had not seen a Chuckar before I bought them either. I followed the recmendations of the breeder I got them of and have had no trouble breeding them. I hatched 96 last week.

It is extremely disappointing when we loose any more species from Australia as they are almost imposable to import.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:08 am 

Private Member: Yes
Rollulus rouloul are not difficult to breed like any partridge and the conditions may vary according to the environment they are kept in. They like all Galliformes adapt well so the conditions described by toothlessjaws relate to wild populations and not necessarily captive bred.

One other point of interest the young are bill to bill fed by the parents, unusual for Galliformes and interesting to observe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:16 am 

bluepeafowl wrote:
One other point of interest the young are bill to bill fed by the parents, unusual for Galliformes and interesting to observe

One of the sites I found talked about putting the chicks in a brooder with quail chicks to teach them how to eat, otherwise they just starve to death.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:34 am 

They will starve to death without the parents because they are bill to bill fed by the parents

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:45 am 

They are a delight to watch as they raise their chicks and they are very tentative parents to the young. Raising away from parent is not an option and why would you want to?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:47 pm 

U.S Gamefowl wrote:
They are a delight to watch as they raise their chicks and they are very tentative parents to the young. Raising away from parent is not an option and why would you want to?

I only found one web site which mentioned putting them with quail, it just goes to show there is plenty of misinformation on the internet, which is not surprising.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:40 am 

So true goodoo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:13 pm 

Hi guys,

Been a while since I originally asked about roul roul in Australia. I was wondering if anyone (parvo?) might be able to give me an update on how this species was faring here (if at all)?

I observed this species recently overseas and was delighted by the close attention to their chicks. If anyone has any information they could offer me please do. I would love to hear how they are doing...

- patrick

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:05 pm 

surely, if legit, that should be $6,000?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hawker/l ... 1057968085

if anyone has any information on these birds i would very much like to purchase a pair...

Profile E-mail