AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Taking pictures of birds for appraisal
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:20 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Now I am not being bossy or condescending here
I just thought a few tips might not go astray

When taking pictures one needs to have a neutral background [pale blue preferred] but can be extremely pale grey

Make a pen that is open to the front but enclosed on 3 sides and has a top – it must be large enough to comfortably hold your largest bird with space enough for it to take a few steps freely within the confines
Also allowing enough space for long tailed birds [Yokohamas etc]
Phoenix have to have a tall pen [abt 2mts high] with a stand [cockatoo stands work well] so that the tail drapes but can still be in the shot – often you will have to train these birds to stay calmly on the perch
Peacocks have to have a wide pen [YES they can be trained to stand and display in a picture pen]

Tack a tape measure onto the leading edge of one wall this will show the size of the bird – it MUST be a large print tape measure to show clearly enough in the pictures or simply place a coke can in the picture pen [off to one side] with the bird.
The accurate weight and where possible the age of the bird should also be included with pictures for accurate appraisal

Ensure the bird is allowed a bit of grain to help it to settle and become accustomed to the pen and is calm and well at ease BEFORE you attempt to take pictures
This is an essential component for success
If possible have the pen placed so that natural bright light can enter
otherwise use the flash facility

Watch the bird for a few minutes so you can ‘read’ it before starting to take pictures
Allow the bird to move freely within the picture pen – DO NOT attempt to position the bird

BEFORE taking the first picture =
Enforce the PATIENCE policy upon yourself as this is an essential part of the exercise
take a deep breath and expect to sit patiently and quietly for some minutes in order to get the best pictures

Take a number of pictures =
Full side shot of BOTH sides showing the entire bird including comb AND legs and feet preferably when the bird is fully sideways to the camera
Full front shot to show depth of chest also including comb legs and feet
A shot at a slight angle to show the character [head slightly tilted / jaunty stance etc] of the bird [angle at your discretion]
Then have another person handle the bird and carefully spread each wing separately and take pictures of both
Shot of the back showing the entire length of the bird from beak to tip of tail
A shot like this with both wings out-spread is advantageous as well

Close-up of feet and legs – in 5 toed/feathered etc legs/feet ensure all toes/feathers are in the shot
A close-up profile [head] shot from both sides showing comb and wattles clearly - ensure NO blurriness
A close-up of head from the front showing the comb and wattles clearly
[you may need to test photograph for these close-up shots]

After a few times you will be able to quickly and easily take shots of your birds

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Taking pictures of birds for appraisal
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:49 pm 

very good to know how to do it the right way. I painted the back of the chooks shed light blue 12 months ago and it really makes a differance when you stand back and look at the chickens on their roosting rail, they really stand out. Now all I need is a good man to build me a box :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:31 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

not necessarily the 'right way' but it is 'one way' to take good pics of yr birds

:-D I have noticed that pale blue behind perches helps when examining the birds :-D good suggestion mousey

why not just buy a few simple tools [hammer - a few screwdrivers - a saw etc] then buy some wood and either nails or screws to put the wood together then cut the wood to size and make it yrself = perhaps it would be faster at the end of the day
[you obviously already have the paint and brushes]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:33 am 

i've noticed pale blue is the colour of the show boxes too, is there a particular reason it's pale blue and not say, pale green?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:51 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

makes the birds stand out more - I've seen some that stood out so sharply it was as if they were digitally placed there

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:40 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

bumping this back up as show season is in full swing
as is photographic show season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:13 pm 

I did a very similar step by step on Backyard Poultry ("Blacklisted Website") But with photos!

Enjoy

Poultry Photography

There is an art in taking the perfect photo of a fowl. There are many things which I (and many other people) have seen wrong with photos. This is a step by step guide (using photos) to hopefully improve your skills. If you don’t already know, I am a Wyandotte breeder and all of this is relating to how I achieve my photos.

Have a look at a professionally taken photo of your breed and take notice of what they have done and how they set the photo up.

What looks BAD

1. Blurry photos
Many blurry photos are because of either the bird is moving or it is too dark (both of which are in this photo).
Do Not Use Mobile Phones

Photos through mesh
It is never a good idea to take photos through mesh. Half the time the mesh is in focus and the other half of the time you cant see all the plumage.

Only showing part of the body
A lot of people only take photos of the head or the body and always forget the legs and feet. It is the same when a bird is sitting down. To be a good photo you need to see the whole body!

Shadows
This photo was taken at that time of day were there are many shadows. It is also has a very complicated background.

5. Photos from above and below
Photos always look better if you are on the same level as them. I always crouch down or take photos in show pens.

What Looks GOOD
Birds always look better when they are not in a dark smelly shed with the rest of the flock. Take your time and arrange the scene.

It doesn’t need to be a flash setup, all you need is a simple backdrop.

If taking picture in a box
Stand the bird square
Work out if you want to highlight a front or back end
As much as you might not realize this photo is emphasizing this birds front end as her tail is very underdeveloped.
Natural lighting is best as florescent lights make black birds with a green sheen in them look purple.
If you have quieter birds you now have the opportunity to adjust toes, feathers, wings, heads and anything else that may make a bird look better. This includes fluffing up a tail.
Before Adjusting
After Adjusting

If taking picture in a outside
Taking photos outside is very dangerous and many things can go wrong, but if done well, can make it look like they are real chooks.
Try to take photos in a smaller pen with only 1 bird in it. You are then not running around the yard after a bird which can look crazy.
Good
Bad
Don’t take photos in sheds. It makes birds look sick and pale in colour.
Take twice as many shots as it is harder to get a good one but it has been done
Green Grass Always helps

Remember: A Good Photo Always Helps
Just Think, does this make my bird look good!
Now I expect to see a lot of better photos on APF!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:32 pm 

Nice one spotted egg, we all thank you.
Cheers Drew Smith

Check out our web {not finished yet} http://www.wix.com/smithpekins/Super-Pekin-Stud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:11 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

^^^ Like Drew said
in picture form with such detail has added a GOOD dimension to this post

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:09 am 
­
­

:shock: how good is all that info :shock: amazing what you find when you look around the forum [smilie=a_doh.gif] thanks soozorps & spotted egg that is excellent th_clap.gif a_bravo.gif th_clap.gif

Raf

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next