AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Mareks or Rickets
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:17 pm 

Hi everyone

One of my wyandotte chick legs seem to be paralysed, shes just sitting on them and they seem not to be able to move, her eyes look a little strange and shes breathing faster and harder than normal, i know she more than likely has mareks or rickets, but how do i tell the difference between them? I know if its mareks she will not live, but can rickets be treated? I have read that it can.

I have her seperated from the rest of the chicks in a box on soft bedding.

I'm starting to think my wyandottes aren't destined to live. :cry:

I would really appreciate any suggestions

Kylie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:26 pm 

From your description it could be either still,
when she walks does she sometimes fall into a "splits" position or does she just walk a bit then "squat" for a while.

How old is the chick?
Is there any history of mareks in your flock or area?

sorry couldn't be of more service to you

P.s I found this for you, and have you read the mareks and ricketts stikys at the top of this section?

Symptoms:

The first indication of infection is a variation in the growth rate and degree of feathering.

In chicks over 3 weeks old:
Most commonly 12 to 30 weeks old
Growing thin while eating well (most common form)
Deaths starting at 8 to 10 weeks and persisting until 20 to 25 weeks

In mature birds (6 to 9 months old):
Enlarged reddish feather folicles or white bumps (tumors) on skin that scab over with a brown crust (skin form)
Stilted gait or lack of coordination
Swelling of the peripheral nerves, particularly of the nerves of the leg and wing, is often noticeable
Pale skin
Wing or leg paralysis (involves nerves)
When both legs are paralyzed, one points forward and the other points back under the body
Sometimes rapid weight loss
Gaping or gasping
Transient paralysis lasting 1 to 2 days (pseudo-botulism form)
Dehydmaciation
Coma
Death, due to inability to get to food and water or trampling by other chickens
The visceral organs may contain tumors ranging from microscopic size to fairly large.
Such tumor lesions may be confused with those of lymphoid leukosis without a qualified laboratory diagnosis.

Marek�s symptoms feet first
� Limping
� Toe�s may be swollen or bent
� Unable to weight bear on the foot or leg
� No loss of appetite
� No visible pain
� Just loss of mobility
� Usually affects one leg, then a wing
� Then it affects both legs, one leg will be stretched out front and the other out the back of the bird (classic position)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:54 pm 

Hi Peter

She is about 8 wks old, when you pick her up she just squats back down and can't seem to really move.

No history in my area, i bought 5 of them together, they are the ones with the ratty feathers, i had to put one to sleep a couple of weeks ago, and found this one like she is just before i put up this post.

Yes have read the sticky's, there are a lot of similarities in both desease to a beginer.

she is actually the smallest of all 5 but the fastest feather growth..

I think by what i am reading that its more likely mareks as one leg seems to be worse and she has one wing starting to drop very rapidly.. and breathing is very fast and hard.

My husband thinks it best we put her to sleep also.. :(

I'm just glad they are still in a brooder box and not with the rest of my flock..

My question now is will the rest have it also?

Thanx for your reply Peter.

Kylie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:19 pm 

Well don't do anything too drastic 'till PA comes along, as i am still fairly new to this and dont want to give you any wrong advice.
as it still could be ricketts

start feeding her this it should help either way First thing in the morning.. also have their ordinary feed and fresh clean water available at all times: if it has not been fully eaten with in 12 hours throw it out... make another one the next morning.. don't add to it.. clean out the dish it was in also before adding the new mixture

Each serving consists of

1 x boiled egg yolk… crumbled into mixture….. give the whites to the other hens mixed into their seed or pellets (depends a lot on the size of the egg yolk)

1 small teaspoon honey…. .given for energy, only a small teaspoon

2 x tablespoons yoghurt…. Given for calcium and also to make the intestine go back into normal production – the one with no sugar or fruit in it .. it must be if possible the one with the active ingredient in it

2 to 4 tablespoons rolled oats or Rice Baby Cereal (easily digestable)…. To give substance to the feed, and they are easily digested by the bird also putting less stress on its system, when your birds become sick they find it difficult to digest grains

1 dessertspoon of beef tin cat food…… Not dog food …… the bird needs extra protein not carbs

A few grains of multi vitamin powder (only if you are not already giving it to them in their drinking water, don’t overdose) it is very strong.. so only a few grains into the mixture is needed – do not put a large pinch or a teaspoon you will overdose the bird and make it sick

2 tablespoons of grated apple and grated carrot…. .. do not just cut it up .. it must be grated for easy digestion…. Grated Apple is really good for any ailing bird

You can also add a small amount of chick/pullet crumble

Mix to make a crumble mixture not runny, if you have to roll into pellets and force feed, then gently massage the neck in a downward motion to get it down into the crop, then do it, the bird may be too weak to eat or have lost the desire to eat….

P.s it is ok if the other chicks in the brooder have access to this feed

would you be able to get a shot of her sitting down?
Peter,

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:54 pm 

Hi Peter..

Thank you for all your advice, i just went to check on her and found her dead. :cry: its a little sad as i had big hopes for my wyandottes.. My only hope is that the last little pullet survives.

I am wondering if i should feed the remaining ones the diet that you have suggested just in case?

I know one thing, from now on i am making sure i know who i buy my chickens of. Its a hard leason to lean thats for sure.

Any way, once again thank you, i really appreciate the advice. :)

Kylie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:57 pm 

Im really sorry to hear she passed away, its always sad to lose a chook, especially if its just a small backyard flock,
If the others show any symptoms of this (squatting for long periods of time etc)
then you could give them the diet, but for now i would say no,

sorry again
Peter

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:28 pm 

I'll be keeping a close eye on them..

:)

Thanx again

Kylie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:45 pm 

sorry to hear about your chook,i hope your othrs are ok

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:41 pm 

thanx Styart.

My 13 yr old son gave her a little funeral. Was very toughing.

I supose its something that happens in the chicken business, not easy never the less.

Kylie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:20 am 

Hi Kylie, very sorry to read about your loss mate :(

I know the feeling only too well when you buy some chooks or chicks off so called 'breeders' and they turn out to be diseased or not what you've paid for :evil:

I've bought 'pure' australorp eggs(4 cartons) and they all turned out to be crossbred :evil:
I've also bought unhealthy stock that are supposed to be good quality but die from disease. I always quarrentine birds now for a couple of weeks before i'll let them anywhere near my other flock. I'm so glad i do this, as last time i bought birds off this woman they turned out to have chronic respiratory disease(i think that's what it's called) and died. Had i not quarrentined the birds they could have easily wiped out my whole flock :evil: :evil:
My motto these days-if you find a good breeder, stick with them :-D

Last edited by Deans' Poultry on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail