AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Lethargic, pink, floppy comb, ...Isa Brown 3yo hen
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:05 pm 

Relieved a retired couple of half their flock (3x ?3yo IsaBrown hens) about one month ago. Why? for 'gardening' assistance, and since I am one-mouth to feed, if any eggs came forth from these 3yos, that would be enough. Oh I am a first-time chicken-mother!

About a week ago, I noticed, that definately one of the hens was slower than the other two, who would follow in hopes of new soil turned over, or a leaf or two or snail treasures from lifting a flower pot etc (food source). I thought she was preoccupied with spotting something in the garden where she stood, and waiting to pounce on her catch. Then a day or so later, noticed she was still doing this slow and steady gait stuff, but now standing still a lot longer. Not just pausing to catch a bug type thing.
So I started to tune-in, curious with concern.

Today Friday:
Observations-
clear eyes, clear sinuses, shingy coat/feathers, pink comb/ but dry/not erect and bright red like her sisters.
Clear from skin matters as far as a novice can tell,
no hard areas (eggs) in abdo/vent region.
Wouldn't let me open her mouth - to smell. No obvious odour after cuddling her for ten minutes or so. Managed to open beaks at one point and ???thought I saw small white spots on roof of mouth.
Crop has had food still in the mornings, but not large I dont think. Soft plasticine, no obvious balls of grass or blockages.
But until I relised today that her crop was not enlarged but infact it was her bent neck protruding frontward, I thought I best try and release any odourous gas If there was any. And tipped her upside down, and was able to extend the neck freely which mader me realise, oh it is not a crop thing, that's her 'neck'!!! So, no rigidity in the neck nor other limitations. And no vomitus from mouth, and no resisting from her when I finally found a way to hold her securely. So as not to frighten either of us!
Some dirt around vent. Brown and white droppings, did see some green the other day, but had been foraging among the grass area. Hers are more loose then the other two.
Noticed in previous days after foraging spells, she would drink and drink water.

Today, barely drank it seemed. I am a little dubious about syringe feeding incase I drown her. Or cause respiratory distress before dying from it.
Ate a reasonable meal before bedtime. Prepared garlic with finely chopped red tomatoes (to attract attention), and yoghurt. And then went foraging for more of some layer pellets that had spilt on the grass earlier today, when I was topping up the general supply.
During the afternoon, more active in seeking/foraging, but still stops for periods.
Stops= stands on both leds, head shrugged into shoulders (neck actually looks like a swollen crop it bends to the front so much) and mostly eyes close. And bird is not easily disturbed.
Had a long dust bath this morning side by side her sister (she has been mainly alone) - sunny mildweather. Hadn't notice this norma activity recently, yet have been absent regularly too this week.
Is able to run IF feels threatened, or does not want to be caught!
Can mobilise herself to up and over a partitian of 30cmhieght without overt strain.
Has taken herself to bed first for the past week maybe.
Not laying - one is laying daily. Another is laying white membranes, not yolk, no shell. just white inside the membrae. Unsure which of the ohter two this is. unsure if it is related to my sick one, or just age, and the stress of moving home and changes.
Her voice is a squeek, seems and appropriate responsive sound though. Not constant or an Iam in agongy sound or negative. Only the sound it self is odd. not a chicken sound.
No obvious laboured breathing even after a flee from being caught.
No idea of temperature..
Does not seem to ahve lost weight compared to her two sisters - unsure where to feel or look specifcally anyway since I am a new-mum!.

After her appetite perk at dinner time, and agility she has shown this afternoon, and bathing in morning, I am a little on ths side of maybe she is pulling through whatever it was/is.

But dont' want to get my hopes up;

they share a temporay undercover, hay or straw flor area, including a recycled Dog kennel at night. then are giving roaming space during the day when I am hoe. Or they stay in a yard, otherwise with access to the Kennel space always iwht frech water, and with layer pellets.Which I now have pea straw in for now (removed all other bedding) They sleep on floor, as they did when at their previous home.

What shall I do for my Isa Brown girl?
what am I really dealing with?
Have used Apple sider vingar in water today. A farmer from way back, said to use a tsp of sulphur in ther water (onely one supply with the suplher in it) for two days for all of them. And handed me asuppliy in a plastic bag from his supply! Any tips aobut this?

Post subject: Re: Lethargic, pink floppy comb, ...Isa Brown 3yo hen
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:03 am 

Additionally:
Saturday morning----
Not coming out of the Kennel /Bedroom. Depressed, still not holding head up, sunken into shoulders still. Responds to sound, by opening eyes, but not speaking, nor any attempts to venture out. It is a cooler morning so if sick who would if they don't have to.

But I really want to get some fluids into her.
I think she must be so low.

What is your take on my Florence, Isa brown?

Post subject: Re: Lethargic, pink, floppy comb, ...Isa Brown 3yo hen
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:26 am 

[smilie=welcome.gif] Le Chicken,

Sorry that your Florence is keeping poorly. Isa Brown's are prone to calcium deficiencies as they are prolific layers. After about 18 months of abundant laying some develop a lot of health problems.

Here is the most rest thread on Isa Browns which links to another thread on hybrid layers and calcium deficiencies:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17242

There are recent topics on sulphur, molasses and apple cider vinegar in Poultry Health & Well Being.

Good luck with Florence. Hope she picks up.

"There comes a time in your life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all life is too short to be anything but happy."
Karl Marx, Composer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:08 am 

Hens and Hobbits wrote:
[smilie=welcome.gif] Le Chicken,

Sorry that your Florence is keeping poorly. Isa Brown's are prone to calcium deficiencies as they are prolific layers. After about 18 months of abundant laying some develop a lot of health problems.

Here is the most rest thread on Isa Browns which links to another thread on hybrid layers and calcium deficiencies:

http://australianpoultryforum.com/viewt ... =6&t=17242

There are recent topics on sulphur, molasses and apple cider vinegar in Poultry Health & Well Being.

Good luck with Florence. Hope she picks up.

Hi there,
hens have grit sprinkled in layer food also separate. And crushed calcium source is from the seaside, which you feed caged birds too. The name escapes me. It is washed up remains, infact the backbone of a sea creature. This is crushed among their layer pellets too. They dont peck at freely like the hens in my avairy. So I crushed it up to encourage.

I will look at the forum entries on sulphur etc.
thanks for your kindness in helping.

Saturday midmorning UPDATE:I returned outside and she had braved the chill breeze and was with the others. A considerable amount of water had been drunk from the ONE ONLY water supply I have out (so I can deliberately monitor). Unsure if she or the others had drunk.
She let me pick her up. I petted her and occassionally dipped her beak in the water. She licked her lips each time! Then began to spontaneously drink and drink and drink. The other birds came over, and she got up from my lap to join them.

I wait to see how she responds to some water intake. I will try some more soon.
Currently alone standing under the low branches of a tree. Really would like some sunlight today to help her too.

thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:37 am 

Cuttlefish is what is most commonly used for aviary birds. I have it blended with chook grade shell grit in a small separate feeder in the coop. It's there for the chooks to peck at when needed.

Sadly hybrid commercial layers just wear themselves out even with access to shell grit, they lay on average 300+ eggs in their first year of laying, it's a lot of eggs for one body to produce.

I have been giving my chooks, recent mother hens who have spent the past 3 months sitting, raising their families and moulting on top of it, a tin of homebrand sardines in oil as a pick me up, it only cost's .69c, much better than a tin of homebrand fish based cat food which is more jelly than fish content.

Also topics on cat food as a protein supplement and pick me up, but as mentioned the sardines are sardines and not mixed with jelly etc. The girls seem to love it.

Hoping that someone else can offer you more advice.

Once again best wishes that Florence recovers.

"There comes a time in your life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all life is too short to be anything but happy."
Karl Marx, Composer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:40 am 

Yes cuttle fish is what I crush up and also have large chunks in their grit bowl incase they want some directly. Iv've never seen any of them beak at it though - hence I crush it into the food.

Saturday midday:Really I suppose. I have hope for her. But I am screaming for reality check.

Is she dying no matter what I do? So just give her a nice space somewhere quiet and warm, semibright, with some pickme up, ACV water, etc. But really speaking be palative??? And as it is mentioned, with thanks, above... use some sardines as a pick me up could be beneficial if she wants to eat, or be energised. I cannot discern if she is fighting or not for health/life.

Or what makes us KNOW that a hen will recover?
How what timeline does one refer to?

I am 1-2hrly feeding her ACV water today. She still has a full crop from yesterday.
She ate her garlic yoghurt last night.
Barely foraging today. Sun has come out and she is half in half shade.
Standing alone.
She did call like a Chicken before adn her sisters came to her immediately.
But have wandered off with beaks seeking any oral treasure to delight themselves.

I just seem to be spending time but with no real difference to hold on to.
Is it better to put her down, is she so sick or miserable that this is better???

And when I go back to work during the week she will not be having 1-2hr ACV water (just dipping her head in the water, and letting her lick her lips. Better than nothing.)

So any encouragement or reality checks from experience would be helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:50 pm 

Bon Jour, LeChicken,

Here is the thread to my story about Boss Chookie who was very close to death last year and survived. She is sadly no longer with us as she had to be rehomed with Mr. Rooster :( but that's another story, you can read all about them in Chickens.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16422

Don't give up hope! Don't give up on Florence! She needs you to believe in her and her ability to recover from whatever malady she is suffering from. Can you post a photo of her? Someone may be able to diagnose what is ails her.

Try the sardines, even warm water or milk over the pellets, maybe crumble the pellets so she can swallow, top it with Molasses and maybe even sprinkle it with the sulphur? Is it the yellow sulphur powder?

Yoghurt and garlic is good, along with the Apple Cider Vinegar in the water. I know some people do not feed they chooks red meat, but a little bit of cooked beef mince or an off cut of beef steak is high in iron and protein.

Bon Chance!
Petite Poulet 52.gif

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:43 pm 

Yeah Bon Jour,
thanks for your feedback.

Since Florence, had a crop still from last night, I decided to try something I had read among the internet readings of late. To help get rid of the Crop build up... I presented her with clearn maggots. She was meant to eat them whole so they would eat the rubbish left in her crop! however, as one can imagine, I think only one or two went straight down without being beaked and beaked then swollowed. But she jumped to her feet when I held the terracotta pot saucer of maybe 8maggots around 2pm (Sat). So that was a very positive sign. That she has definate interest in things she likes.

Still had to dip her head in the ACV water regularly. But I think she appears to be standing and walking more upright. But is still tired and stops dead and while standing has a nanny-hen nap!

Didn't fancy any dinner tonight. The other hens were allowed to eat it since I could not keep it. Scoffed it totally.

I am trusting with the ACV and the potential one or two live maggots in the system breaking down the old food in her crop for who know how long, she may be a little improved tomorrow.

Will try the sardines laced with sulphur tomorrow. Unless she gives up tonight and finds heaven as her home instead.

Thanks each of you for your help. It is a little daunting as a brand new comer to Chicken Culture.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:05 pm 

Maybe she has sour crop? It's probably like being constipated, but in a hen's crop.

Here is a thread thread on sour crop

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10486&p=94893&hilit=sour+crop#p94893

Apple Cider Vinegar infused with water and the yoghurt aids digestion, even in humans, the oily sardines may help unblock her along with a gentle massage.

I really wish that someone with more experience can help your poor Florence.

A photo of Florence in her current condition may make all the difference.

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:17 pm 

Thanks so much Petite Poulette.

Once I see her tomorrow, I trust I will have a better idea what she is dealing with and know if it is merely the horrid sours. She is soft in the crop. And I did manage to get her to vomit in the afternoon, but nothing substantial came out except some fluids. I wonder if I am expecting to see all the contents come out.

That is why I am hoping the maggots I fed her, that at least one or two were swallowed whole so they could devour the horrid contents and make them small enough to pass through.

I know it is not impacted, her crop is soft. But obviously some blockage if it is not emptying overnight.
I saw a video of opening the crop, when I was researching what could be wrong with her. Drastic but essential measure to take.

Does anyone know... if you use sulphur powder with hens, is it okay with the eggs. Or should I discard the eggs?
(Not that this sick hen is laying, but I have given sulphur in the meal that she did not eat, but her sisters gladly tucked into - which was good not to waste the preparation.)

with thanks. And hope you are all having a better long weekend than my Isa Brown.