AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: tricky worming...
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:19 pm 

Ok, i was getting the worm medicine ready for my chooks and on the side of the Avitrol Plus thingy was the insturctions..huh???
did not get one bit of it... are you supposed to just let them drink 25ml a day or is it later to be put into a water source or something like that with a ratio like 12 drops to every 20 mls of water...
I got confused so I asked mum she just said to put 12 drops in 20ml of water... I did, but it also says 'make this the soul source of water for 24 hrs... chooks need more than that!
I'm really confused any help please?

Thanks, Philip

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: tricky worming...
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:29 pm 

Philip,

Here is one post from the forum regarding the Avitrol Plus http://www.australianpoultryforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6941, do a bit of a search and see what else you find. Normally you need to give them a certain amount of drug per 100g of bodyweight, figure out roughly what the girls weigh to calculate how much they need and then make up that quantity of wormer at the recommended dilution.

If you still have trouble, post the full directions here and we'll decipher them for you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:42 pm 

It also states according to http://www.vetnetsupplies.com/content.p ... -98/1068/0

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
Diluted in drinking water.
0.5mL (12 drops) to 20mL of water or 25mL/L. Use this as the sole source of drinking water for 24 hours, and feed only seed, then replace with fresh clean water. Administer two doses 14 days apart. Solution should be freshly made up before dosing. Repeat in 14 days with fresh solution. This provides a dose of 40mg/Kg bodyweight based on an average bodyweight of 30g and consumption of 5mL of liquid per day. In summer the dose should be reduced to account for increased water consumption, which may be double or more.
For Threadworm, Caecal worm, Gape worm and Roundworm a dose of 0.025mg/g (25mg/Kg) bodyweight has been found adequate. For Gizzard worm a dose of 0.05mg/g (50mg/Kg) is necessary.

Taken from:
http://www.vetnetsupplies.com/content.p ... -98/1068/0

So 25ml for 1 litre of water.

I take the chook's water away when they go to sleep, the night before I chemically worm them,(they have no issues with garlic infused water or apple cider vinegar at full moons) so they are thirsty and drink the worming water.

I put a post up on worming tablets but I am not confident about placing a worming tablet down my chooks and massaging it down their crops, what if they choke?

How do you do the Heimlich Procedure on a choking chook?

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19234

All advice appreciated, as I HATE MATHS!!!

Thank you, kindly 52.gif

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:49 pm 

Avitrol Plus is designed for cage birds not poultry. That is why the doses are described that way.

12 drops is equivalent to 0.5mls. Therefore if the instructions say 0.5mls per 20 mls drinking water then this is equivalent to 5mls per 200 mls drinking water or 50 mls per 2 litres drinking water.

Therefore, a bottle of Avitrol plus does not go very far!

Alternatively you can dose each bird individually direct to the beak. The dose in this case is 4mls Avitrol Plus per Kg bodyweight. I would dilute the 4 mls with some sweetened water/cordial to make it more palatable for the birds. Squeeze it down the inside of the mouth or use a feeding tube if you have been shown how.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:52 pm 

OOOH, ok Per 100goh i get it now I will try again tomorrow, as it is locked up in mum's room, I will send the post tomorrow wether I get it or not... but I do not remember it being on the side of the pack... thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:58 pm 

Hi PP,

I guess it's a confidence thing.

If you slide the tablet down the side of the throat the birds won't choke.

Even if it did go down the windpipe the size of the tablets would most likely result in them being expelled out again as the hen coughs.

If you make sure you push the tablets in by inserting your finger all the way down to your hand, you will have gone past the opening to the windpipe and it will be in far enough for the bird to swallow it.

You can always hide it in some soft bread or cheese and just feed it to them! Even though some wormers suggest fasting the birds before medicating, a single piece of cheese/bread/whatever won't make any difference.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:04 pm 

Thank you, kindly 52.gif , parvo,

I like the idea of concealing the tablet in the bread and cheese. Bribery makes all the difference.

Thank you, kindly 52.gif again, your infinite Chook Wisdom is appreciated.

PS
If any one has instructional photos on orally inserting worming tablets, I would really appreciate you posting them, as I am sure many people would like to see eggsactly how it is done.

Thank you, kindly 52.gif

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:56 pm 

wouldnt it be easier to just get a paddle pop stick with something sticky yet nice-like honeygte that in their mouth, they will enjoy it and slip the tablet down???
hope that helped...

Philip

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:17 pm 

doesnt say anything about ratios.... :( want a picture?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:04 pm 

But what if the chook's don't have a sweet beak?

My chook's don't like molasses or honey or anything runny or yummy...They are very straight forward AND conservative in taste!!!

Step by step, pictures on worming using a tablet would be appreciated and would really help...

Thank you, kindly 52.gif

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next