AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Sun May 12, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Pale combs
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:20 pm 

Hope someone can advise what the problem is ,three of my bantam leghorns have developed a loss of colour in there combs they are very pale .The birds themselves seem well enough in themselves not off there feed or inactive the others in the pen still have the red comb as normal

Post subject: Re: Pale combs
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:37 am 

Hi Royboy and welcome to the forum.

A pale comb usually indicates poor health but as your birds seem otherwise normal you may have to look further.

Are they of good body condition (feel the amount of muscle on the breast)?

A pale comb may also indicate anaemia. Does their skin appear pale? What about the inside of their mouth? Compare with a bird that has a red comb if you're not sure. If it looks anaemic look for any mites on the birds, particularly at night ( with a torch). Some mites eg red mite hide during the day & come out to feed on the birds at night. Also check the droppings for any sign of blood.

These are a couple of starting points anyway.

Hope they are of some help.
Cheers
Parvo.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:29 am 

Thanks Parvo

Appreciate your help ,checked the birds mouths no sign of paleness there compared to the red combed birds ,there body weight also seems okay ,like I advised before they are sprightly not hunched over and fluffed up feathers usually found in sick birds but I'm concerned as they just don't look right with the pale combs Do you think I should dust them for mites to be on the safe side just a thought could worms cause this problem

Thanks again Royboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:46 pm 

Usually if the infections with either are severe enough to cause pale combs then they would also show other signs of being unwell.
You certainly could still treat for worms & external parasites & see if it helps.
Do you live in an extremely cold area? Sometimes this can also reduce bloodflow to the comb.
Are they the least dominant birds in the flock- being at the bottom of the pecking order may also contribute.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:15 am 

Yes I will give the worming and dusting a go and see what happens We live in the western suburbs of melb and although it is very cold at the moment the other twenty odd birds are unaffected .They are in a pen of five females and one rooster so I don't think bullying is an issue Thanks for your interest and advice I will certainly let you know if there is any change

Cheers Royboy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:16 pm 

When a fowl is molting is it normal for the comb to go a pale pink but the wattles stay red. He seem perfect condition but he is molting heavy so I guessed that is normal but now reading this not to sure

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:37 am 

Yeh they can go a little pale in molt you would be best to add some multi vitamins to the water to help all your chooks through the molt

~Dry your eyes Princess, take a teaspoon of cement & harden up ~

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:00 pm 

Do you feed them lots of green stuff? If not maybe they just need some more greens and vitamins. Also probably good to give them multi vitamins in their water like Bourke said as they could just be lacking a bit.
Hope this helped. :-D

Two Skittish Australorps - Florence and Poppy.
One Pencilled Wyandotte - Rosie.
One unknown - Browser.
OneWhite crested black Polish - Eve.
One Frizzle Buff Pekin - Cinnamon.
One Light Sussex - Lacey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:58 pm 

I've noticed my broody's comb seems paler since she's been on the nest. So I guess she's not eating as well, certainly not free ranging everyday to get to the greens plus less grain so lower protein etc etc. Could be an optical illusion as I'm not seeing her in daylight??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:35 pm 

I used to hand feed my broodies when they were sitting; a handful of grain or a nice silverbeet leaf. I figured if they weren't going to get off the nest all that often then I would reward them a little. If you approach quietly and gently talking to them you might be surprised how close you can get, even to the one who is usually most timid.

Profile E-mail  

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Who is on the Forum

Users browsing this forum: 10Geese, 6 Ducks, 70%cocoa, 9 Ducks, ABC Poultry, Adam Smith, Adeiela, Akeet, Alex Cooper, alexanderpeafowl, AlligatorCrkHeritageBreed, Alpine Poultry, Amature Chookz, andrewschooks, Ann Meek, Appleton Australorps, arvoducks, Ash Maree, auctioneer, Avi Rare Breeds, Ayam Cemani, Backyard Chicken Chat, Backyard fowl, BaliDuckz, Bantam Rhode Island Red, Bantamenance, Barnywood, Baz Fitzgerald, beakybird, bearfred, BeatenEgg, Beaudesert Mandarins, bemba, Ben Newton, benalla park, Bendigo Poultry, Berryjj, BigDucksOz, BigQuackers, birds101, Birds4u, birdsrock, Birdz4u, Black Lories, blackdotte, blackleghorn, BlackSwan, Blackswan1, Blue Australorps, bluefirelady, Bob Brookes, BokBok2, Boolaroo, Booths Bantams, Boxwood, Brad M, brerrabbit, Brian Jack, BriansPeas, broken bird, BROOKES POULTRY, BT Homestead, BUBO, Buff Pekins, Buggsy, BushPig, ButtercupBreedGroup, BYC, byhookorchook, Cackles, caladenia, Caladenia Cottage, Calum H, Cammo Qld, CamsBantams, Carawatha Chickens, Cashmere, castaway chicken, cc's poultry, Chang Lee, Charmhaven Chooks, Cheesman Chooks, Chicken Unity, chicken-boy, Chicken07, chickenlittle, Chickens Mad, Chickhorn, Chook Lady, chookasaurus, chookgirl, chookiebum, ChookieG, ChookMamma, ChookMum, Chooks Galore, Chooks R Us, Chooks&Guineas, chookslife, chookyinoz, ChookzGallour, Christine Shaw, Chukar, Cliff Wyandotte Bantams, Clucky Henz, CluckyDeb, coastalchookies, Colac Sussex, ColacWaterfowl, Collector Peafowl, Connor Peafowl, cookie, Cordelia, Country Bird, CountryChookz, Cowhide, CrackerChook, Crash, Crescent Head Bantams, Daggy Guineas, Dan41, Daniel Lawton, Danny, Danny Brown, DARLING DOWNS PIGEONS, Darren James, darrssy, daviburn, David Simons, DavidGraham, Deb Thomas, debbilee, Denis, Desborough Birds, Dianne Carter, DillDale, Dodds Birds, DragonsDen, Dreaming Guineas, Ducks & Guineas, duckyfromoz, Duckz44, Eason Chooks, Easter Eggerz, Eat Chooks, Ecovald, eggnog, EggSellent, eggy, eugenia, Ewan Watkins, Fancychooklady, Farmer Benji, FattyFarm, Feathers01, Feral Cheryl Silky's, Flash, Flightfeathers, FlockPheasants, fluff fur & feathers, FluffyBum Silkies, FowlMan, Fraggle, Frances Brahmas, Fraser Island, FrogLeap, Furze Chooks, Gaggle of Geese, Gails Guinea Fowl, Gamebreeder, Garth Lester, GavinGoose, geckodan, Georges Birds, Ginny, girlfriday, Glen Fowler, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Golden Macaws, Golden Pond, Golden West Waterfowl, Goodwin Ducks, Goran, Gosford Geese, Got GuineaFowl, Goulburn Heritage Poultry, grabby, gramps, GreenWest, Greg Clarke, Greg Davies, Grove_Guineas, GUINEA FOWL, guinea fowl galore, Guinea Fowl Troop, Guinea Gang, Guinea Love, Guinea Obsession, Guinea owner, guineafowl, GuineaHomer, Haggis, hairycanary, Hale Family, HAPPYHENS, Hardfeather, Hawkes, Healesville Arucana, heggie, Heidi F, Heijo, Helenchooks, Henny Penny, HillbillyGirlWA, Hyline Brown, Ian B, infoaddict, Isa Brown, Isachooks, Island Fowl, Ivan J, J Hicks, jaffa, James Willis, Jane Stewart, Janelle Marshall, Jane's Chooks, jap jumbo quails, jarryd, Jarryd Holmes, Jeff Duncan, Jen71, Jersey Giant, Jimboomba Poultry, Jocon, John Cole, John Pike, johnstoneparksussex, JonksGuineas, jose, Josh Welsummers, jr, JRA, Judith King, Judy Appleton, Julie Hart, Kalimna Heritage Poultry, kardella poultry, Karlisa, Katy, KAZZA64, KellyP, KEMPSEY NAKED NECKS, Ken Johnstone, kezabel, Khaki_Ducks, Kin Kin Silkies, Kingscote Chickens, Kingsthorpe Fowl, klw, konopiste, KoopKing, kowie, KT, kyall3, LadyAmherst21, lanceview, Lavender Guinea Fowl, Lawnton Poultry, Lesley Thomson, Leslie Cooper, Lilly, Linda P, Linz, Lozzy, LozzyR, LueT, luvmychook, madrex, MamaPyjamaHens, MamasPyjamas, Mandy More, Mannie, Marek, Marengo Heritage Poultry, Margaret Stuart, Margie Goodwin, Margret Young, Mark Godwill, MaryJ, MaryJanet, Matt Burdon, Matt Knight, MattsGuineas, Mcginniss Fowl, meander, Melanie Y, MemoryLane, Michael Holmes, Michael Underwood, Milo, MinistryofDucks, Minorca&AndalusianStud, MinorcaCoop, mitchell07, MitchesMarans, Monique, Monto Poultry, MrPeabody, Mrpeewee, Ms Frankie, mummaroo, mycoola, Myflockoblues, mysticviews, NanangoGuineaBoy, Natasha Moore, nathanael bantams, NellyG, NEP, NepeanBirds, New England Watefowl, NightMare, Noel Cox, Noosaville, NSW King Quails, NZ Guinea Fowl, NZ Pekin Queen, Oaklands, Oldmanrooster, Olivia N, ONE TREE HILL, Ozchook, ozflock, ozguineafowl, ozibirds, O'Connor Sumatras, P_Edwards, Pam, Paul Clark, Peafowland, peamad, pearcey, Peel Waterfowl, PeepGuineafowl, Perth Pigeons, perthchooks, Peter Mead, Pheasant Man, Phil Thomas, PHILL, PingLee, Pitts_Poultry, pj hatchery, Podgie, PossumCorner, Poulsen, Poultry, Poultry Hoarder, Poultry Matters, Poultry mum, Poultry Rare Breeds, poultrynut, PrestigePeafowl, Pretty boy, Priens Fowl, prorooster, Prouten, Pure Poultry Images, QuailFarmer, QuailQueenGC, QuailTales, Quailz, Quamby Chickens, Rainbow Chickens, Rawlinson, realimagery, redeyekeet, redjohanna, Reeves Family, Rhiannan H, Rhode Red, Rick Bobby, Riverchase, RJJ Fowl, Rob Smith, Rocky Bobby, RockyRoos, Rod Taylor, Roger Parkin, Rohan, rollyard, Roma Runners, Rose, RossGuineaFowl, Roundyard, rowan1, ruff, rwood, Sandra Clarke, Sandra O'Neil, SantaClaws, satchell hens, Scots Grey Stud, seeing_spots, shairlyn, Sharni N, shayne, Sheffield Pekins, Shelly Roberts, Shoalhaven Fowl, Show Silkie Stud, silver duckwing game, Smallflock, snowball, South Aust Rouen Ducks, SouthernDucks, SouthSussex, Sparky, splash laced Wyandotte, springcreek, Stark Waterfowls, Stelan, Stephen Richards, Steve Davies, Stewart Grant, Stuart Turner, Sue Clarke, Sue Hall, Sue Sheppard, Sue Wards, sue55, Sultans Stud Qld, Sumatra Stud AU, sunrise, Sussex Light, Sussex19, swiftwood pheasants, SwineoSam, SydneyOEG, T.A.S.S™ [Bot], TANYA, TazBarnies, The Barnyard, The Browns, The Chook Man, The Good Life, The Gotfeather, TheChookBlock, Tolmie Guinea Fowl, Tolmie Peafowl, Tolmie Pheasants, Tony & Linda, Toolern Vale Fowl, Tracey Lamb, Trany Naked Neck, Tribe of Honk, Tropic Poultry, Trott Park, Trout Runner, Turkey Man, Varley Pheasants, Vella Layer Hens, Vicki Joy, Victorian Waterfowl, Violet Town, Vivian Stephen, W Brown, WA GUINEA FOWL GUY, warmblood, Webbs Orpingtons, WendyT, Wheatley Silkies, white modern game, Whittlesea Poultry, whittls, wildman, Willow Park Poultry, winglet, Wombatbird, Wonderful Silkies, Wongarra Poultry, Wood Duck, WoodAviaries, WotTheFlock, Yeppoon Guinea Fowl, Yvette, Zanne and 5679616 guests