AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: What medication would you always have in the first aid kit?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:17 pm 

My planning stage turns to what I should start out with in the first aid kit. Maybe I read too many posts about poor sick chooks whilst I still haven't actually got my chickens yet!

I have products for mites, lice and worming. (Revolution, Avitrol Plus, Avian Insect Liquidator and Pestene). As well as layer pellets they will have a daily mash of various things like fruit and veggie scraps, rolled oats, cat food (sometimes). And I have planned a regime of supplements in food or water over time (not all at once!) of apple cider vinegar, garlic, Natrakelp, Soluvet Plus and treats like yoghurt and sunflower seeds (not too many).

So, I am also thinking:
Amprolium - as a preventative eg during wet weather or on a regular basis. I read a post from someone that uses it fortnightly. What frequency do others use?

Then if that didn't prevent signs of coccis, CRD or some kind of sniffles, I wonder if I should have another treatement eg antibiotic to hand just in case.

Coccivet? Sulfa 3? or Triple C?

If I choose Triple C, I should get Probotic to use after the course - or would that be good to use after any of these?

PolyAid Plus - to have to hand in case of stress, illness or injury, so seems a good idea for the kit

Calcivet - should I have this to hand because I'm likely to need it sometime? Or just buy some if I find thin shelled eggs?

Ointment eg Betadine - should I just get some from the chemist if there's an injury?

Livamol and/or Moldori - there seem to be some fans of these as supplements too.

As you can see, I have gathered quite a shopping list and I'm trying to balance the cost against being well prepared for the most common eventualities. I haven't even met these chooks yet, and I love them to bits so I would appreciate the groups views on what's really important to have and what is just going over the top.

Thanks
Bobkat

Post subject: Re: What medication would you always have in the first aid kit?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:00 pm 

POLY AID PLUS! When our little Silkie Penny was sick she was cold and not moving or anything, we gave her poly aid plus and she was back to moving, chirping and everything within minutes so I say from experience it's pretty amazing stuff. I would get some of that for your little first aid kit. :-D

Also maybe an antibiotic of some sort like Oxymav? I don't know if we have it, we haven't had to use it but I have read about sick chooks who have been given this and it has helped a lot so it might be a good thing to have should it be needed.

Worming stuff and things for mites - good that you already have these as they should be used regularly, plus powdered vitamins to put in their water is good. We give ours vitamins everynow and then. Keeps them helathy, makes sure they are getting what they need etc.

We also have Triple C and a few other things in our kit that I don't know.
I don't know much about anything else but I hope this has been somewhat helpful. :razz:

Two Skittish Australorps - Florence and Poppy.
One Pencilled Wyandotte - Rosie.
One unknown - Browser.
OneWhite crested black Polish - Eve.
One Frizzle Buff Pekin - Cinnamon.
One Light Sussex - Lacey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:15 pm 

Thanks ILC. I am sure it was your original post about the wonders of Poly Aid Plus for Penny that inspired me to put it top of the list.

I read thaqt Triple C has more of the active ingredient that Oxymav, so on that basis was going to get the Triple C instead.

Do you ever give Calcivet unless you see thin-shelled eggs? I will have shell grit out all the time (and have bought one of those Peck-A-Blocks for hard grit) so I guess I should assume that's sufficient unless I see something to the contrary?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:29 pm 

Oh I see. Yes it was amazing how well it worked. I would have been so upset if my little Penny had died. th_Noooo.gif

I'm not sure about the Triple C vs Oxymav but we have Triple C. Haven't really had to use it though but I guess because it is a broad spectrum it is probably better. (Forgot Triple C was an antibiotic [smilie=a_doh.gif] )

No we have never given our girls any Calcivet, never had any problems, don't even think we have it. They always seem healthy, the shells of their eggs are so strong sometimes it takes more than one good bash to crack them open to use in baking! We get a layer mash that has shell grit in it and it seems to be sufficient. Calcivet may not be so important when they have shell grit and food etc. I would safely say you probably won't really need it unless a chookie seems to need it and it is most likely going to be something that isn't sudden. But don't take my word for it completely! I'm just a novice chookie keeper who still goes to school! :roll:

Two Skittish Australorps - Florence and Poppy.
One Pencilled Wyandotte - Rosie.
One unknown - Browser.
OneWhite crested black Polish - Eve.
One Frizzle Buff Pekin - Cinnamon.
One Light Sussex - Lacey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:15 pm 

Though I have never purchased any thing on line before Little Valley Poultry sell a number of medicinal packages some of the products are really hard to purchase over the counter at the vet and or stockfeed.

http://www.littlevalleypoultry.com/apps/webstore/

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:09 pm 

We bought one of the wellness packs and the poly aid was in it. For myself and ILMC it was a good choice as we are new to chookies and didn't know much about medication and keeping the chookies healthy. We also bought it from Little Valley Poultry.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:34 pm 

Noticed there's good prices on Oxymav B and calcivet on oo.com.au at the moment - FYI.
http://www.oo.com.au/Oxymav-B-100gm_P96738.cfm
http://www.oo.com.au/Vetafarm-Calcivet-250ml_P93197.cfm

Only thing to keep an eye on is delivery costs - they charge per item, not per shipment.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:37 am 

I always have sulfa 3 triple sulphonamide water medication in the shed its good for respiratory disease one-eyed cold and coccidiosis cost around $25 for 250ml

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:38 pm 

Aristopet scaly face and leg treatment because I seem to have it re-occurring every few months not sure why I guess the wild birds must have it and reinfect my girls

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:25 pm 

I keep Triple C on hand its a great broad-spectrum antibiotic and fixes a lot of minor sickness without going to a vet