AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: lettuce
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:59 pm 

Different soils produce different levels of nutritional value in all food and lettuce is no difference so if you grow your own you can add many added nutrition and improve the quality

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:02 am 

TP Member: Yes
That is a good point chookcraft than657

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:04 pm 

It is like budgies that too much can give them diarrhea?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:13 am 

I give my girls 2 whole lettues once a week its takes them 2 days to get through it so they have like 1 or 2 days off and I found their egg yokes to be a much darker orange that before I have tried cabage and colliflower but they won't eat those even trying to fool them but mixing it with the lettuce has not worked they just pick out the lettuce and leave the rest. I wonder if fresh lettuce which is what I give them because I grow my own is better than supermarket which has come from cold rooms

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:12 am 

Home grown is always best because it is the freshest you can get.

As Chookcraft has said, you can improve the nutritional quality by adding fertilizers etc but it is still a food with low nutritional content compared to other foods they eat.

Definitely worth feeding, particularly if they don't get access to fresh grass.

The way to look at feeding these things is that the more variety in their supplements, the wider are the range of nutrients that they are likely to ingest.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:03 pm 

Tuscan Cabbage is in season and rather inexpensive, our girls love it and their yolks are lovely rich golden colour.

"There comes a time in your life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all life is too short to be anything but happy."
Karl Marx, Composer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:25 am 

I will see if I can get that tusscan cabbage thanks never heard of it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:12 am 

Rinnes wrote:
I will see if I can get that tusscan cabbage thanks never heard of it

This is what Tuscan Cabbage looks like. It's about $2 at the local fruiterer/Vic Market, and chicory $1 for a large bunch, the chooks love chicory.

You can eat it sauteed in olive oil with onion, garlic, fennel and pine nuts topped and served with shaved Parmesan.

Attachments:
Tuscan Cabbage.jpg
Tuscan Cabbage.jpg [ 40.87 KiB | Viewed 1745 times ]

"There comes a time in your life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all life is too short to be anything but happy."
Karl Marx, Composer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:41 am 

You'll find that it's also sold as Kale, Tuscan Kale or Black Kale. There are a couple of other varieties available sometimes like Siberian, Scottish, Red Russian which are all quite good. I like them thrown in a stir fry.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:03 am 

I have not seen that before so thanks I will look for it now looks similar to silverbeet

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Who is on the Forum

Users browsing this forum: 10Geese, 70%cocoa, ABC Poultry, Adam Smith, Adeiela, Akeet, Alex Cooper, alexanderpeafowl, AlligatorCrkHeritageBreed, Alpine Poultry, Amature Chookz, andrewschooks, Appleton Australorps, arvoducks, Ash Maree, auctioneer, Avi Rare Breeds, Ayam Cemani, Backyard Chicken Chat, Backyard fowl, BaliDuckz, Bantam Rhode Island Red, Bantamenance, Barnywood, beakybird, bearfred, BeatenEgg, Beaudesert Mandarins, bemba, Ben Newton, benalla park, Bendigo Poultry, BigDucksOz, BigQuackers, birds101, Birds4u, birdsrock, Birdz4u, blackdotte, blackleghorn, BlackSwan, Blackswan1, Blue Australorps, bluefirelady, Bob Brookes, BokBok2, Boolaroo, Booths Bantams, Boxwood, Brad M, brerrabbit, Brian Jack, BriansPeas, broken bird, BROOKES POULTRY, BT Homestead, Buff Pekins, Buggsy, BushPig, ButtercupBreedGroup, BYC, byhookorchook, Cackles, caladenia, Caladenia Cottage, Calum H, Cammo Qld, CamsBantams, Carawatha Chickens, Cashmere, castaway chicken, cc's poultry, Charmhaven Chooks, Cheesman Chooks, Chicken Unity, chicken-boy, Chicken07, chickenlittle, Chickens Mad, Chickhorn, Chook Lady, chookasaurus, chookgirl, chookiebum, ChookieG, ChookMamma, ChookMum, Chooks Galore, Chooks R Us, chookslife, chookyinoz, Christine Shaw, Chukar, Cliff Wyandotte Bantams, CluckyDeb, coastalchookies, Colac Sussex, ColacWaterfowl, Collector Peafowl, Connor Peafowl, cookie, Cordelia, Country Bird, CountryChookz, Cowhide, CrackerChook, Crash, Daggy Guineas, Daniel Lawton, Danny, Danny Brown, darrssy, daviburn, Deb Thomas, debbilee, Denis, Desborough Birds, Dianne Carter, DillDale, Dodds Birds, DragonsDen, Dreaming Guineas, duckyfromoz, Duckz44, Eason Chooks, Eat Chooks, Ecovald, eggnog, EggSellent, eggy, eugenia, Fancychooklady, Farmer Benji, Feathers01, Flash, FlockPheasants, fluff fur & feathers, FluffyBum Silkies, FowlMan, Fraggle, Frances Brahmas, Fraser Island, FrogLeap, Furze Chooks, Gaggle of Geese, Gamebreeder, GavinGoose, geckodan, Ginny, girlfriday, Glen Fowler, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Golden Pond, Goodwin Ducks, Goran, Goulburn Heritage Poultry, grabby, GreenWest, Greg Davies, GUINEA FOWL, guinea fowl galore, Guinea owner, guineafowl, GuineaHomer, Haggis, hairycanary, HAPPYHENS, Hardfeather, Hawkes, heggie, Heidi F, Heijo, Helenchooks, Henny Penny, HillbillyGirlWA, Ian B, infoaddict, Isa Brown, Isachooks, Island Fowl, Ivan J, J Hicks, jaffa, Jane Stewart, Janelle Marshall, Jane's Chooks, jap jumbo quails, jarryd, Jeff Duncan, Jen71, Jersey Giant, Jimboomba Poultry, John Cole, John Pike, johnstoneparksussex, JonksGuineas, jose, Josh Welsummers, jr, JRA, Judith King, Judy Appleton, Julie Hart, Kalimna Heritage Poultry, kardella poultry, Karlisa, Katy, KAZZA64, KellyP, KEMPSEY NAKED NECKS, Ken Johnstone, kezabel, Khaki_Ducks, Kin Kin Silkies, Kingscote Chickens, klw, konopiste, KoopKing, kowie, KT, kyall3, LadyAmherst21, lanceview, Lawnton Poultry, Lesley Thomson, Leslie Cooper, Lilly, Linda P, Linz, Lozzy, LozzyR, LueT, luvmychook, madrex, MamasPyjamas, Mannie, Marek, Marengo Heritage Poultry, Margret Young, MaryJ, MaryJanet, Matt Knight, MattsGuineas, Mcginniss Fowl, meander, Melanie Y, MemoryLane, Milo, MinistryofDucks, Minorca&AndalusianStud, MinorcaCoop, mitchell07, MitchesMarans, Monique, Monto Poultry, MrPeabody, Mrpeewee, Ms Frankie, mummaroo, mycoola, Myflockoblues, mysticviews, NanangoGuineaBoy, NellyG, NEP, NepeanBirds, New England Watefowl, NightMare, Noel Cox, NSW King Quails, NZ Pekin Queen, Oaklands, Oldmanrooster, Olivia N, ONE TREE HILL, Ozchook, ozflock, ozguineafowl, ozibirds, O'Connor Sumatras, P_Edwards, Pam, Paul Clark, Peafowland, peamad, pearcey, PeepGuineafowl, Perth Pigeons, perthchooks, Peter Mead, Pheasant Man, Phil Thomas, PHILL, Pitts_Poultry, pj hatchery, Podgie, PossumCorner, Poulsen, Poultry, Poultry Hoarder, Poultry Matters, Poultry mum, Poultry Rare Breeds, poultrynut, PrestigePeafowl, Pretty boy, Priens Fowl, prorooster, Prouten, QuailFarmer, QuailQueenGC, QuailTales, Quailz, Quamby Chickens, Rainbow Chickens, Rawlinson, realimagery, redeyekeet, redjohanna, Reeves Family, Rhiannan H, Rhode Red, Rick Bobby, Ricky Bobby, RJJ Fowl, Rob Smith, Rod Taylor, Roger Parkin, rollyard, Roma Runners, Rose, Roundyard, ruff, rwood, Sandra Clarke, SantaClaws, Scots Grey Stud, seeing_spots, shairlyn, Sharni N, shayne, Shelly Roberts, silver duckwing game, Smallflock, snowball, South Aust Rouen Ducks, SouthernDucks, SouthSussex, Sparky, splash laced Wyandotte, springcreek, Stark Waterfowls, Stelan, Stephen Richards, Steve Davies, Stuart Turner, Sue Clarke, Sue Hall, Sue Sheppard, Sue Wards, sue55, Sumatra Stud AU, sunrise, Sussex19, swiftwood pheasants, SwineoSam, SydneyOEG, T.A.S.S™ [Bot], TANYA, TazBarnies, The Barnyard, The Browns, The Chook Man, The Good Life, The Gotfeather, TheChookBlock, Toolern Vale Fowl, Trany Naked Neck, Tribe of Honk, Tropic Poultry, Trott Park, Trout Runner, Turkey Man, Vella Layer Hens, Vicki Joy, Victorian Waterfowl, Violet Town, W Brown, warmblood, Webbs Orpingtons, WendyT, white modern game, Whittlesea Poultry, whittls, wildman, winglet, Wombatbird, Wonderful Silkies, Wongarra Poultry, Wood Duck, WotTheFlock, Yvette, Zanne and 5680730 guests