AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hot weather procedures
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:15 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Ron&Dianne I am upset for you and your loss, all is well today with the others tho? Touch hot today here no better anywhere else!

Kwinagi we had a good discussion going re the corn etc issue over two different threads and we all decided that each person would feed or not as it is their choice

me = I choose not to feed whole corn to my birds in Summer

However - what reasons would you give for not feeding corn or bran in Summer?
I agree with parvo that bran is more a fibre food than an energy food and the only problem I could see with it is if it were fed warm perhaps

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:36 am 

Thanks for that I hope we do not get days like those again soon could not handle the stress

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:02 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Ron&Dianne wrote:
could not handle the stress

yes you can - we are all strong when we need to be [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:39 pm 

I wish I was but I have Ron and he deals with those things as I am just all tears

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:07 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Dianne – just take a deep breath and accept what you cannot change and pray for the strength as and when needed and of course be grateful that you have Ron for the in-between times

also the hot weather will be gone soon enough then we can all enjoy the Autumn chores with our birds

another hot weather procedure = a neighbour told me a few mins ago = his father used to put bales of hay on the roof of the chook pens = so I walked him around the back and pointed = he goes = "Yeah like that" with a cheezy grin on his face [smilie=a_chuckle.gif]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:46 am 
­
­

soozorps wrote:
another hot weather procedure = a neighbour told me a few mins ago = his father used to put bales of hay on the roof of the chook pens = so I walked him around the back and pointed = he goes = "Yeah like that" with a cheezy grin on his face [smilie=a_chuckle.gif]

Do you wet them down?

Raf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:50 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Raf wrote:
Do you wet them down?
Raf

no = they just sit there, if they get rained on so be it but no I don’t wet them
the theory is that the thickness of the bales insulates
I ought to have quantified tho = these bales are ON TOP of the double roof with the 10cm gap between each roof level = it’s just I thought my neighbours face was so funny I had to share

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:08 pm 

That, of course, is another brilliant idea Soozorps [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:32 am 
­
­

The roof would need to be very strong as wet bails would weigh quite a bit so people should make sure it can hold them wet

Raf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:41 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Raf wrote:
The roof would need to be very strong as wet bails would weigh quite a bit so people should make sure it can hold them wet

Raf

:oops: :oops: I took that as a given :oops: :oops: = not enough caffeine :oops:

what Raf said folks!!

the average zincalume (spelling?) shed has NO roof supports so could not be used for the bales method without first being reinforced = I recommend the support be put over the outside of the roof/shed structure = thus giving the 10cm gap needed for air flow then the bales over the top of this reinforced section/structure/’add over’ (as opposed to ‘add on’)

also to note – multiple bales are heavy – each small square is about 6 to 10kg dry weight (type of grass and machine that made it dependant)
wet they could weigh double this amount

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Who is on the Forum

Users browsing this forum: 10Geese, 6 Ducks, 70%cocoa, ABC Poultry, Adam Smith, Adeiela, Akeet, Alex Cooper, alexanderpeafowl, AlligatorCrkHeritageBreed, Alpine Poultry, Amature Chookz, andrewschooks, Appleton Australorps, arvoducks, Ash Maree, auctioneer, Avi Rare Breeds, Ayam Cemani, Backyard Chicken Chat, Backyard fowl, BaliDuckz, Bantam Rhode Island Red, Bantamenance, Barnywood, beakybird, bearfred, BeatenEgg, Beaudesert Mandarins, bemba, Ben Newton, benalla park, Bendigo Poultry, Berryjj, BigDucksOz, BigQuackers, birds101, Birds4u, birdsrock, Birdz4u, blackdotte, blackleghorn, BlackSwan, Blackswan1, Blue Australorps, bluefirelady, Bob Brookes, BokBok2, Boolaroo, Booths Bantams, Boxwood, Brad M, brerrabbit, Brian Jack, BriansPeas, broken bird, BROOKES POULTRY, BT Homestead, BUBO, Buff Pekins, Buggsy, BushPig, ButtercupBreedGroup, BYC, byhookorchook, Cackles, caladenia, Caladenia Cottage, Calum H, Cammo Qld, CamsBantams, Carawatha Chickens, Cashmere, castaway chicken, cc's poultry, Charmhaven Chooks, Cheesman Chooks, Chicken Unity, chicken-boy, Chicken07, chickenlittle, Chickens Mad, Chickhorn, Chook Lady, chookasaurus, chookgirl, chookiebum, ChookieG, ChookMamma, ChookMum, Chooks Galore, Chooks R Us, chookslife, chookyinoz, Christine Shaw, Chukar, Cliff Wyandotte Bantams, CluckyDeb, coastalchookies, Colac Sussex, ColacWaterfowl, Collector Peafowl, Connor Peafowl, cookie, Cordelia, Country Bird, CountryChookz, Cowhide, CrackerChook, Crash, Daggy Guineas, Daniel Lawton, Danny, Danny Brown, DARLING DOWNS PIGEONS, darrssy, daviburn, David Simons, DavidGraham, Deb Thomas, debbilee, Denis, Desborough Birds, Dianne Carter, DillDale, Dodds Birds, DragonsDen, Dreaming Guineas, duckyfromoz, Duckz44, Eason Chooks, Eat Chooks, Ecovald, eggnog, EggSellent, eggy, eugenia, Fancychooklady, Farmer Benji, Feathers01, Flash, FlockPheasants, fluff fur & feathers, FluffyBum Silkies, FowlMan, Fraggle, Frances Brahmas, Fraser Island, FrogLeap, Furze Chooks, Gaggle of Geese, Gails Guinea Fowl, Gamebreeder, GavinGoose, geckodan, Georges Birds, Ginny, girlfriday, Glen Fowler, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Golden Pond, Golden West Waterfowl, Goodwin Ducks, Goran, Goulburn Heritage Poultry, grabby, GreenWest, Greg Davies, GUINEA FOWL, guinea fowl galore, Guinea Fowl Troop, Guinea owner, guineafowl, GuineaHomer, Haggis, hairycanary, HAPPYHENS, Hardfeather, Hawkes, heggie, Heidi F, Heijo, Helenchooks, Henny Penny, HillbillyGirlWA, Hyline Brown, Ian B, infoaddict, Isa Brown, Isachooks, Island Fowl, Ivan J, J Hicks, jaffa, Jane Stewart, Janelle Marshall, Jane's Chooks, jap jumbo quails, jarryd, Jeff Duncan, Jen71, Jersey Giant, Jimboomba Poultry, John Cole, John Pike, johnstoneparksussex, JonksGuineas, jose, Josh Welsummers, jr, JRA, Judith King, Judy Appleton, Julie Hart, Kalimna Heritage Poultry, kardella poultry, Karlisa, Katy, KAZZA64, KellyP, KEMPSEY NAKED NECKS, Ken Johnstone, kezabel, Khaki_Ducks, Kin Kin Silkies, Kingscote Chickens, Kingsthorpe Fowl, klw, konopiste, KoopKing, kowie, KT, kyall3, LadyAmherst21, lanceview, Lawnton Poultry, Lesley Thomson, Leslie Cooper, Lilly, Linda P, Linz, Lozzy, LozzyR, LueT, luvmychook, madrex, MamasPyjamas, Mannie, Marek, Marengo Heritage Poultry, Margret Young, MaryJ, MaryJanet, Matt Knight, MattsGuineas, Mcginniss Fowl, meander, Melanie Y, MemoryLane, Milo, MinistryofDucks, Minorca&AndalusianStud, MinorcaCoop, mitchell07, MitchesMarans, Monique, Monto Poultry, MrPeabody, Mrpeewee, Ms Frankie, mummaroo, mycoola, Myflockoblues, mysticviews, NanangoGuineaBoy, nathanael bantams, NellyG, NEP, NepeanBirds, New England Watefowl, NightMare, Noel Cox, NSW King Quails, NZ Pekin Queen, Oaklands, Oldmanrooster, Olivia N, ONE TREE HILL, Ozchook, ozflock, ozguineafowl, ozibirds, O'Connor Sumatras, P_Edwards, Pam, Paul Clark, Peafowland, peamad, pearcey, Peel Waterfowl, PeepGuineafowl, Perth Pigeons, perthchooks, Peter Mead, Pheasant Man, Phil Thomas, PHILL, Pitts_Poultry, pj hatchery, Podgie, PossumCorner, Poulsen, Poultry, Poultry Hoarder, Poultry Matters, Poultry mum, Poultry Rare Breeds, poultrynut, PrestigePeafowl, Pretty boy, Priens Fowl, prorooster, Prouten, QuailFarmer, QuailQueenGC, QuailTales, Quailz, Quamby Chickens, Rainbow Chickens, Rawlinson, realimagery, redeyekeet, redjohanna, Reeves Family, Rhiannan H, Rhode Red, Rick Bobby, Ricky Bobby, Riverchase, RJJ Fowl, Rob Smith, Rod Taylor, Roger Parkin, Rohan, rollyard, Roma Runners, Rose, RossGuineaFowl, Roundyard, ruff, rwood, Sandra Clarke, SantaClaws, Scots Grey Stud, seeing_spots, shairlyn, Sharni N, shayne, Shelly Roberts, silver duckwing game, Smallflock, snowball, South Aust Rouen Ducks, SouthernDucks, SouthSussex, Sparky, splash laced Wyandotte, springcreek, Stark Waterfowls, Stelan, Stephen Richards, Steve Davies, Stewart Grant, Stuart Turner, Sue Clarke, Sue Hall, Sue Sheppard, Sue Wards, sue55, Sumatra Stud AU, sunrise, Sussex19, swiftwood pheasants, SwineoSam, SydneyOEG, T.A.S.S™ [Bot], TANYA, TazBarnies, The Barnyard, The Browns, The Chook Man, The Good Life, The Gotfeather, TheChookBlock, Tolmie Guinea Fowl, Tolmie Peafowl, Tolmie Pheasants, Toolern Vale Fowl, Trany Naked Neck, Tribe of Honk, Tropic Poultry, Trott Park, Trout Runner, Turkey Man, Varley Pheasants, Vella Layer Hens, Vicki Joy, Victorian Waterfowl, Violet Town, W Brown, warmblood, Webbs Orpingtons, WendyT, Wheatley Silkies, white modern game, Whittlesea Poultry, whittls, wildman, Willow Park Poultry, winglet, Wombatbird, Wonderful Silkies, Wongarra Poultry, Wood Duck, WotTheFlock, Yvette, Zanne and 5679992 guests