AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: broody hen
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:27 pm 

HI,
Henrietta has gone broody...
I'm not concerned at all about the lack of eggs as they are all on antibiotics at present anyway and I can't eat them.... but I'm just concerned about her health?
Is it ok to just wait and see what happens or do you recommend I break it? I've read about a wire bottom cage with lots of air beneath her...???
thanks in advance,

2 australaups (30 weeks and laying), 2 rhode island reds (30 weeks and laying but Lucy died Jan 2013)
2 new Rhode island reds (16 weeks and now doing fine)

Post subject: Re: broody hen
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:49 am 

Going broody is natural for most if not all hens so just let her be I say

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:17 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

If she is on eggs that you are reasonably sure will hatch = let her be
If she is not on eggs break the cycle as she will sit until something hatches – her health could suffer = you mention ‘they are all on antibiotics’ – assuming (probably incorrectly) that they are all unwell atm

Wire bottom cage with the air yes – but cold water with ice in it (to make it even colder) just below her reach as you DON’T want her to drink the water as she may poop in it with it being under her
The idea is to reduce her body temperature to get her back into every day chook mode.
it could take a few days or a week or so before she is no longer broody.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:11 pm 

Would that be wise right now if they are unwell?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:12 pm 

henrietta's not unwell... it's another one and the vet said to have them all on antibiotics because it's easier to medicate...

I've been watching her... last few days she sits and broods 90% of the time but she is getting up at least once per day and doing AMAZING large poos and free ranging a bit... so I've just left her alone for now. Also gives me time to sneak out the egg so I'm just letting her go for now.

2 australaups (30 weeks and laying), 2 rhode island reds (30 weeks and laying but Lucy died Jan 2013)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:05 am 

So I take it its not contagious then? When they go broody they don't poo as often so yes its amazing how big they can be

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:41 am 

HI Coombes,
Thanks for your help...
The vet said it's probably clymaidia (sp??) as she's been sneezing and diarrhoea for months now (ever since I've had her) and none of the others have caught it so it's probably just her weaker immune system. Otherwise though she's really well, laying ok and lovely red comb so I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time (and $$$) with the antibiotics?? I'm pretty sure they're not even drinking it either - it's been raining so they must have other water sources that I haven't been able to stop....??

Re the brooding - I didn't see H get up at all yesterday - not eating nor drinking that I've seen but she must briefly get up cause there's the amazing daily poo.... So I'm back to thinking about breaking it.

I've got an old cat cage top (only about 20cm high, 40cm by 25cm approx) that I've attached over a heavy wire bottom suspended over air (that I can also put cold water underneath). I think it will be pretty awful getting her there as she doesn't like to be touched! So my questions are;

1) Do I move her there through the day only and still keep her in the coop with the others at night (where she'll continue to brood in the nesting box I'm sure),

2) It's a tiny cage so there's not much room for food and no room for water - do I let her out often or not at all??

3) How will I know if she's not broody anymore if she's locked in the cage all the time?

Sorry for the dumb questions - just want to be clear in my head what to do before I start. Also, unfortunately as with everyone, I don't have much time through the day to babysit her - I've got 2 demanding kids to look after so I'm lucky to have any time other than each end of the day to get them all up, fed and watered and tuck into bed at night :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:44 am 

sorry, just re-read my post and can't edit....

... it's another chook that's got clymaidia - not Henrietta that's brooding. Henrietta is A1 health wise and content with her mothering duties...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:12 pm 

I think you should try to break her of it (unless you want to have chicks, of course!) as she can keep it up long enough to really lose condition.

I haven't had to do this (yet, she says with fingers crossed....) but I understand you leave her there all the time and don't put her into the coop at night. You can buy little plastic feeders with two metal prongs on which hook over the wire cage. They are therefore off the ground and don't get spilt and messy and don't take up any footprint. I got mine online within 3-4 days.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FEEDER-or-DR ... 4170755b57

That way you don't need to let her out to feed and drink (and she can find herself a nice warm dark corner somewhere!).

I read it also helps to do it sooner rather than later. Actually I did have one go broody - for an afternoon! I happened to be home and noticed her so I kept turfing her out the box and when she went back the 4th time I opened the whole nesting box and coop up so nowhere felt dark and safe enough for her. I don't know if it was becasue I was quick on it - or if she was half-hearted anyway, but that was the end of it. Good luck with Henrietta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:53 am 

Hi, all (and especially newmum),

Sucre (one of my light sussex) went broody yesterday. At first I thought she was just taking AGES to lay an egg, but I took her off the nest and she puffed up and was very cross and climbed straight back on - with no eggs under her. She did this for hours.

So I ran to this forum which, as usual, has been invaluable.

I put a "lid" on the nesting box over night. She was on again this morning when I took this lid off. I picked her up, made her go outside to eat with the others and when I left her, she was again very cross and puffed up - heading back to the nesting box.

I think I'll have to "break the cycle" as well as I don't have a rooster so there's no hope of babies. I have a secondary hutch I used for quarantine when introducing the girls. Might try during the day that if she doesn't stop.

She's so cute, though! So angry and fluffy :lol:

Mands