AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:00 pm 
IN-ACTIVE
IN-ACTIVE

Thanks Snowball, Brett and Matt for your wishes re Andrew. We did weigh him and he weighs about 3 kilo. He can't even hold his head up now, but still struggles on. Yesterday he did some enormous poos, big black ones and I thought maybe this is an up, but no sign of them today. He has a few more days of Emtryl yet. Matt, he has had three courses of antibiotics, I am not sure which now, but I think another would be too much. The vet says he is so weak that it will take months to get him better again, but it would be nice to see a few little positive signs. Oh well, we will keep trying. He is so tough!! Cheers, Pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:36 pm 
­
­

He's a fighter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what ever you do Pam, don't crossover Antibiotics this will cause more problems than good. Have you or can you seek a second opinion from a Vet? regarding diagnosis and treatment? Emtryl is a good anitbiotic but is a more broad spectrum antibiotic & slow to work.

Good Luck

Peacocks Australia :lol: :lol:
(Brett)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:11 pm 
IN-ACTIVE
IN-ACTIVE

We have a few vets here and all say they don't know much so basically we covered all bases over the four weeks or so. We laid him out in the sun today. He seems really almost totally paralysed by now and doesn't eat or drink by himself but is this because we are feeding/watering him. We haven't crossed over antibiotics but given him breaks and try another. A Sydney vet kindly offered help amd asked for X rays and poo samples but we think $300 spent is enough. We are giving him two more weeks to start eating by himself and then we are going to put him down. We reckon that that is long enough... unless someone else has other ideas. That will be six weeks of trying. Thanks everyone for your help and support, much appreciated. Pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:46 pm 

Hi Pam,
I would have thought that with the amount of time that has elapsed, the Antibiotic's and vitamins and the tender loving care you have given Andrew you should have seen some sign of improvement or rapid decline, which makes me wonder if this is not some sort of neurological disorder possible through close inbreeding. :!: :!:

Anyhow all the best with him. Good luck,regards,
Snowball :( :( :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:27 pm 
IN-ACTIVE
IN-ACTIVE

Yep. We think that too, but maybe that Leucosis which causes tumours on the spine. We had him in the sun today and all the others visited. We figure with all the antibiotics he can't have anything infectious. He actually had a go at eating himself today but it exhausts him so we still have to shovel it in. Anyway, we feel OK about our decision, so everyone keep their fingers crossed for the next two weeks and I'll let you know. Cheers, Pam

Post subject: sick boy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:06 pm 
IN-ACTIVE
IN-ACTIVE

Well everybody, last week we pulled the pin on Andrew. He had got no better and worse really. It was sad. Since then we have had more disters. The other one we got a few months ago got a respiratory infection. We gave antibiotics for the 5 days and he still was "snoring" so we decided to catch him. He twisted in Al's hand and broke his leg. SO another one down. The vet said to isolate the others and we decided as they had been in a few months we would let them out as we reckon the pen is unhealthy. Jake and Elwood, our originals took Napoleon for a long walk and we searched ages until we found him, lying exhausted in the grass... mainly due to being unfit we think and the guinea fowl had been harassing him We sheperded him home and eventually he managed to fly up into the trees. Elwood sauntered home from heaven knows where on dark and no sign of Jake. He turned up this morning, thank goodness. Napoleon has been recuperating today and managed to fly up high tonight. The worst thing is the two girls have gone. I am advertising in the paper as there is no sign. Nap is calling tonight, so hopefully if the girls are around they will come back. All the originals let themselves into their old pen this afternoon so I locked them up, much to the Blues Brothers' disgust.

Anyway, Brett, Matt, Snowball etc ., how do you guys go about catching them without damage, both to the bird and the broken-hearted catcher???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:35 pm 

Hi Pam,
Sorry to hear about all your drama --- as you might have read I lost a white hen -- just found her dead one morning ---- vet report which was waiting when I recently returned from a fishing trip --- was bird had a major internal haemorrhage which could be rat poison or snake bite. Myself I would have to go for the snake bite as I'm very careful with rat poison and use it in containers that only small rodents can access.

However to answer your question if I have to catch a peacock I use a large handled fishing net --- I have small black covers that I then put over the birds head and when I carry them I hold them firmly to my side(holding one wing down) and my arm over them holding the other wing to their body --- their legs are hanging down so they can't get any traction.

Hope this helps,good luck,regards,

Snowball (Sid) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:13 am 
IN-ACTIVE
IN-ACTIVE

Thanks Sid. How sad about your hen. Someone was telling me they saw a doco on peafowl and that they kill snakes... footage of them doing it. This is perhaps how she got bitten. The neighbours, 1 km away spotted one of our hens in their garden this am, but by the time I got there she had gone. Napoleon is up in a Robinia and won't come down. The guineas have traumatised him I think. I had the others all locked up and noticed that Jake's band had slipped down and lamed him. Other half is in Melb today so I caught him by myself by throwing a blanket over him... I am so proud of myself... and pulled the band off. It had parted, perhaps on their long walk and was sticking into his leg. I have left them all in so I can worm them. We use a net but it was in transferring him to a box that the disaster happened. Where did you get the hoods?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:30 pm 
­
­

Hi Pam, Let me start by offering our condolences, it is ALWAYS hard when you loose a bird (any bird) particularly when you have to put it down. We would recommend you completely sterilize your Pen or Pens as I think you on the right track when you say your Pens are unhealthy? the vet is right you must isolate your birds and keep a close eye on all of them. When we have to remove a Peafowl, we move the bird or birds into our Soft Nylon mesh removal pen. once there we use a "Bag Net" this is similar to a large Parrot/Cockatoo net but with a hessian bag and not the usual neting* and they are moved in the "Bag net". We are currently writting a couple of artilces, one on Mallard ducks and another article on Peafowl which covers the Capture and Moving of Peafowl which should be out soon (when we get time to finsh it?) we have received a few emails on this subject so we thought we would publish an Article.

Hope all goes well Pam?

Thanks
Peacocks Australia :lol: :lol:

* We do not recommend the use of soft Material type nets ie.. Parrot hand net ect... full details will be in our forthcoming article.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:47 pm 

Hi Pam,
You really do seem to be having fun and games -- someone once told me that keeping pets,birds etc was to much trouble ---- however the satisfaction far outweights the trouble. The head hoods --- I have a very clever sister in law as far as sewing is concerned ---- she made them from my design. Years ago if I lived in Uganda and was in the animal trade and we used hoods to move Ostrich from pen to pen and as that worked I thought I would try it with peafowl,because they can't see they don't seem to panic. I like PA's idea of useing a net made of hessian,once again whilst in there I would assume they tend to keep steady. Your blanket idea is the same --- go to the top of the class and you can hand the pencils out ---- gee might have given my age away then :!: :!:

All for now,best regards,good luck,
Snowball :D :D :D