AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Sick Pekin
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:35 pm 

Hello all.
Miss Moneypenny (my blue Pekin) seems to be under the weather. :(
Yesterday she was making a kind of gargling, purring noise.....sort of a clicky sound in the back of her throat.
Interestingly, when I stuck my head in the coop as it was getting dark, the other chooks were making the same sound. It seemed almost like a contented clucking but very quiet.
They all seem healthy otherwise but tonight I noticed Miss M has got one eye closed. It doesn't seem to be weeping, more like our own eyes stick a little in the morning when we have sleep in them. :?:
I did gently pry it open and there is no noticeable damage (from a peck).
It certainly doesn't seem to be anything worth panicking about (yet) but I would like to hear any opinions/diagnosis of possible disease or illness.
In the meantime I will seperate her although I am worried that might stress her as she's a very companiable chook. :(
Any help at all would be appreciated....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:56 pm 
­
­

Schnapper, Sounds like C.R.D It usually starts with a Rattle noise in a purring style. Secondary symtom is "bubbly eye" (including discharge) and head flicking.Other sytoms are Coughing; Sneezing; Runny nose; Breathing difficulties. Birds tend to stand around with their eyes closed.
for more info & recommended treatment: http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... cksaustral

Thanks
Peacocks Australia :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:45 pm 

Thank you very much.
It certainly sounds like C.R.D. :(
If I understand the instructions at the above link then a course of anti-biotics will control the symptoms somewhat and the patient will recover in time???
The first symptom (rattle in throat) was noticed yesterday. Can I assume that the other 8 chooks in the coop are already infected? Or is it still worth seperating her and any other obviously sick birds (at least 2 were sounding a little off last night)?
Thanks again for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:00 am 
­
­

Schnapper, most poultry will recover from C.R.D if treated in time. You must assume that all the chooks will now have the disease and they all need to be treated. We would however recommend you remove the birds that show advanced symptoms, as this may limit the spread of the disease. In mild or early stages of this disease you can use a product called "Oxy-B" (Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride) this can be purchased through Pet shops & Produce stores for approx 25g $8 , 125g $22 , 500g $59 this Product works well in Mild (early) cases and as a Prevention. If you have trouble finding it, you can purchase it off "EBay" or contact "Inca" they are the Manufacture Ph: 02.98331728. In advanced stages you will need to use a stronger Antibiotic such as "Baytril" this can only be acquired from you Vet with a consultation. We have to say Baytril would be one of the pet Wonder drugs of this century, as the course is only 3 days (once a day-orally) and the results can be incredible. We would recommend that if you have to use Baytril, also use Oxy-B at the same time in the bird’s water and go the full treatment course 5 days.

We also recommend the use of Oxy-B as a Preventative used twice a year, before the breeding season and after the breeding season. Also you must Quarantine ALL new birds, assume they are carrying the disease and treat them for 5 days with Oxy-B.

The good news is CRD can be Treated & Prevented.

Thanks
Peacocks Australia :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:34 am 

I hope all goes well schnapper not nice when you have a sick member of the family :( we use oxyb as recommended by John & it works well.

Jeff chicken.gif

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:59 pm 

Hi schnapper
Sorry to hear about your sick chooky. :cry:
I've also had to deal with this horrible illness on a few occasions, so I know how you are feeling.
I hope your little chooky gets better....... please let us know how she is going, as well as all your other chooks too.
Good luck.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:49 pm 

At this stage Miss M is isolated (in a large cage in our bathroom) and seems to be coping. She certainly doesn't seem to be getting worse anyway.
I have tried to find Oxy-B locally but being a weekend and living in the country most places aren't even open.
Have found it on Ebay so if I can't get some tomorrow will get it online.
Thanks heaps for the advice and concern everyone. It has certainly helped a lot.