AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: 5 month laying holiday?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:26 am 

My hubby is taking great delight in telling me he can't remember when he had a fresh egg and how lazy my flock is, they're duds etc.
Most (except for me ara) stopped laying after the heatwave in Jan and went into various stages of moult. For most of them it was their first moult (ara has been through 2 moults). This may also have something to do with the well-meaning in-laws being responsible for their care and just letting them out to free range all day (I did find eggs in the garden).
Then the ara stopped laying about 3 weeks ago (she went broody) but I kept on piffing her out of the next box (despite her puffing up and SCREAMING at me).
So, I'm wondering what to do now? They're on showbird breeder micro-pellets and still have access to fresh greens in their run thanks to grazing frames... Do I just have to wait until the days start getting longer?

Any magic tips would be most welcome! than657

Post subject: Re: 5 month laying holiday?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:56 pm 

Don't worry, it's cold and after moulting they need all their energy to keep warm. I got my first egg from Lady Frances yesterday, it's been well over 3 months and my dad said they were ready for the stock pot th_Noooo.gif ! I have stopped eating chicken in any form since owning my own chookies.

Also the daylight hours and sunshine are less during winter and chookies need Vitamin D to aid calcium absorption.

Maybe some warm mash for breakkie and supper with some chook spice and extra sprinkle of garlic granules. We are buying eggs to hard boil for the girls. Also a tin of .69c sardines from Coles or a tin of fish based cat food (higher in protein) will help improve their condition.

gluck.gif

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:56 pm 

I've been told to put some apple cider vinegar in their water as this helps re-regulate their hormones and should get them laying again once they've gone fully through their moult. So that s what I'm going to do once my girls have completed their feather shedding/regrowth. :-D

Apparently this works well.

Give that a go [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:04 pm 

Thanks guys.
PP, I've tried the hot water & chook spice over the Showbird breeder pellets... the girls won't touch them! :(
I'll try again with weetbix tomorrow & add some additional calcium... AND give them a dose of apple cider in the water.
Goodness knows they're eating heaps at the moment, and all all fully feathered again.
I've bought some more dummy eggs too, so we'll see if that makes a difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:14 pm 

Hi Blak1

Have you tried adding yoghurt to your girls mash and chook spices. I add yoghurt to either porridge, weetbix or pollard with a little of the spices added. They then scoff the lot.

Good luck, I am sure they will come into lay with your devotion to your girls.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:32 am 

Got two egg in four months, as luck would have it I had just wormed the girls!

All of the above advice, I've been giving mine off cuts of beef steak which they devour. ACV three times a week and plain yoghurt.

Someone told me kidneys are also great boiled up and chopped up but it stinks!

Another person I know, boils up crushed corn in milk.

Cat biscuits.

Some breeds just take a vacation.

"There comes a time in your life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all life is too short to be anything but happy."
Karl Marx, Composer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:01 am 

You're right about the vacation part HH

Clara, my speckled sussex, lyes around like she's on a complete summer & winter holiday. She's even put on a heap of holiday weight :lol:

I just keep giving her cuddles and talking to her softly and telling her to keep beefing on the weight as she'll need it for when she goes clucky again and has to sit for 21 days straight and I get to shove a heap of eggs underneath her for incubating.

That said...How many eggs would be the maximum to put under a sussex? She's not big like a Plymouth but she's not little either.

I can't wait until she goes clucky again. Now that I have clyde I'm so excited to see if I can get some speckled sussex babies.

I have also posted a picture of Clyde. He's so handsome :-D, He's just standing funny. He's not actually bow legged :lol:

Sorry for tread jacking Blak1

Cheers
Chicka-Dee

Attachments:
File comment: Clyde
Clyde.jpg
Clyde.jpg [ 88.92 KiB | Viewed 3906 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:26 pm 

Oh my, that's a big boy!

I got one egg today... First in an awfully long time! Not to get the rest of the lazy buggers back into the cycle!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:44 pm 

Blak1 wrote:
Oh my, that's a big boy!

Yes he is isn't he, and handsome too! :-D

But sadly he doesn't motivate the girls into laying eggs :cry: , so I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:27 pm 

Blak1 wrote:
My hubby is taking great delight in telling me he can't remember when he had a fresh egg and how lazy my flock is, they're duds etc.
Most (except for me ara) stopped laying after the heatwave in Jan and went into various stages of moult. For most of them it was their first moult (ara has been through 2 moults). This may also have something to do with the well-meaning in-laws being responsible for their care and just letting them out to free range all day (I did find eggs in the garden).
Then the ara stopped laying about 3 weeks ago (she went broody) but I kept on piffing her out of the next box (despite her puffing up and SCREAMING at me).
So, I'm wondering what to do now? They're on showbird breeder micro-pellets and still have access to fresh greens in their run thanks to grazing frames... Do I just have to wait until the days start getting longer?

Any magic tips would be most welcome! than657

Hi
Hah same problem as you! I don't say my chickens lay I say they reside here. Lazy lumps!( Maybe its the fact I have mainly Pekins..... But then, I have a couple of layer breeds :roll: Oh well!)
Darn that rooster's pretty!

Soon to become breeder of Lavender Pekins and multi-coloured Silkies.

Profile E-mail