AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dead 14 week old Marans chick - WARNING autopsy pix
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:06 pm 

You could try freezing a lemon and grating it into her feed and mixing it in.
I haven't done it for chooks but it is a great tonic for us . scientist are trying to work out what compound is in it to trail for a cancer treatment . It gives a nice flavour to meals I tried when I was suffering from the flu .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:44 pm 

Thanks C.K. I came home to find Runty dead. I'll try and get better internal pics when I deal with her tomorrow, particularly her tumour.

I have the last Marans chick - probably 18 weeks old - in a brand new dog crate on my back deck with the electric hen & polyaid plus in her water. This one (my last marans) is a little skinny, but fully feathered & not showing any symptoms of illness. She can see and hear other chooks, about 5m away who are in show prep cages, on the other side of the deck, but now I'm worried that she might be a carrier of some illness, and I don't know whether to let the grown girls anywhere near her?

This sux!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:01 am 

Have you thought about getting some blood tests done to help diagnose the cause of death if its a disease?

LooLoo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:18 pm 

Does anyone know what this is likely to cost? (Ballpark is fine). I might ring a vet tomorrow - I didn't have the heart to chop her tonight... Advice from anyone in Canberra welcome as to where to consider.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:28 pm 

Blak1 wrote:
Thanks C.K. I came home to find Runty dead. I'll try and get better internal pics when I deal with her tomorrow, particularly her tumour.

This sux!

Oh No :shock:

Blak I'm so sorry to hear about your babies dying. That must be truly devastating. I would just go to pieces if Lolly & Pickle were to just up & die on me.

You're so brave doing an autopsy. I'd have no clue what I was looking at as I never did biology at school and I really don't think i could cut my babies open. I wouldn't be able to see as I'd be bawling my eyes out too much [smilie=a_damnit.gif]

The bird expert in my area is so expensive. It costs $95 for initial consultation then about a further $200 if you want blood analysis done. So can't afford her, but she's the only one around.

Hope you can find someone who can help you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:42 pm 

Sorry :cry: sorry :cry: sorry :cry: to read about your another Marans demise.

Marans seem to be very sensitive birds don't know why though, maybe the Marans breeder can give you your answers thinkerg.gif

I keep Frances warm in the winter and don't let her free range on rainy days so she doesn't catch a chill and sniffles.

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:05 pm 

The best person to try in Canberra is Dr Sandy Hume at Inner South Veterinary Centre on 6295 0770.
I'm not sure what he charges but if you want to find out what is affecting your birds you need to see an avian vet and he will likely advise you to send some tissue samples to a lab for histopathology.
It may cost a bit but if you can identify the problem then hopefully you can avoid future losses.

Any dead bird should be kept in the fridge (not freezer) and taken to the vet as soon as possible (best within 24 hrs- up to 48 hrs).
If you can wet the feathers with soapy water or methylated spirits before wrapping the bird in paper towel and placing in a plastic bag,and placing this in the fridge, then this allows the bird's body to cool down faster and slows down decomposition.

Freezing is not recommended because when the bird thaws out its cells rupture and so affects microscopic examination of tissues by a pathologist.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:37 am 

Thats wonderful information Parvo than657 for sharing that very interesting reading

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:33 pm 

Thank you for the tips on who to see & storage of the deceased bird Parvo, very much appreciated.

I didn't store her right and the gas & fluid when I opened her up just now (7pm) nearly made me hurl... So I didn't (couldn't make myself) get into her organ cavity.

What I did discover though was that she was deformed, and what I thought was a tumour was her hip bone.

Going back to early pics of her, she wasn't a particularly hearty chick (hence her name - Runty), so I think this one may be early cocci damage, failure to thrive and pain... the pain part makes me sad, but I didn't know at the time.

Fresh is easier to dissect! :-?

Now I can see chick raising isn't an easy thing, let alone breeding!

I will post pix on Mon night.

Last edited by Blak1 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:29 pm 

No problem guys,

At the end of the day we all just want answers so that we can enjoy our birds, rather than stress over them because they are sick.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next