AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dead 14 week old Marans chick - WARNING autopsy pix
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:15 pm 

Ah, OK; you had me confused! My breeder warned me they sometimes just drop dead. At this rate I'll be lucky to grow one to POL. Not breeding anything yet, but the Marans temperament is just lovely!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:11 am 

Marans are the gentlest of chooks.

C.K. wrote:
It makes me start to wonder if there is truth in the rumour that the marans were imported illegally a few years ago as they just suddenly emerged from nowhere ,
They seam to have all the symptoms of the salmonella Polluom virus that the imports were culled for . conf665

Very interesting.

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:13 pm 

C.K. wrote:
They seam to have all the symptoms of the salmonella Polluom virus that the imports were culled for . conf665

Oh I don't think you can say that CK really unless you have some proof? thats such a leap and it won't help the imports they are all died, sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:44 pm 

Do you breed marans then , low fertility high mortality , just no one has bothered testing them remember that it doesn't effect them all the same and some survive to be carriers or the disease would die out by itself . Maybe we should be testing more of our own backyard chooks to see then.
And don't forget all the post I made " it makes me suspicious that ..."
I never said they definitely have.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:07 pm 

No, and I think to jump to the conclusion that it is Salmonella pullorum (which is a bacterial infection by the way, not a virus) is really drawing a long bow.

It could be any one of many diseases and without a proper post mortem the rest is just guesswork.

Whether they were smuggled in at any stage does not make this any more or likely. Salmonella pullorum already exists in backyard poultry flocks in Australian, irrespective of whether they are Marans are not. There are obviously other issues with this breed, one of which may be inbreeding.

The authorities have enough incentive to stop us trying to import new blood because of political point-scoring.
Let's not give them any more ammunition by speculating.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:32 pm 

It makes the argument for legal imports more tangible as it would lower the chances of the illegal one's coming in not make it worse .
I have heard several rumours off not just eggs but live birds coming in.
Yes it doesn't help that the marans come from just one source so inbreeding was inevitable .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:38 am 

parvo wrote:
The authorities have enough incentive to stop us trying to import new blood because of political point-scoring.
Let's not give them any more ammunition by speculating.

I totally agree with you we all need to agree its not a infection in australia for the best interest of all

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:16 pm 

I'm convinced there's something wrong with Runty now... She looks physically twisted? She's not got a runny nose and ran up to me for a cuddle before going off to bed, but I'll try and get photos tomorrow. Grrr. So frustrating! The info Nostress posted gave me some ideas though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:26 pm 

Sorry to here that you are having more problems is the oxymav for the cold and flu ?
I have had some benefit with sulfa3 but I am in a warmer climate ,
the tumour could be an expression of marecks but not always as there is a virus that causes it as well
I have found using the higher protein feed with high mineral supplement helps with the marans.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:00 pm 

Thanks C.K. I will keep my fingers crossed - Runty has scoffed two batches of garlic yoghurt, so if hopefully she is getting enough nutrients. Is it usual to only get one obvious tumour? I'm not sure if it's a tumour, but I think so - would explain the twisting deformity...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next