AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Organic Worming Mash
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:35 am 

Hi All :-D

Below is organic worming mash I found in the ABC Organic Gardening Mag.
I tend to believe that what we eat and drink today, walks and talks tomorrow. So keep your chemical inputs to a bare minimum and eat more healthely.

Monthly Worming Mash Recipes extracted from the Sep/Oct 2010 ABC Organic Gardener. written by Paul Healy, Tasmania.
*For 20 Pullets, heat 2lt whole milk to which has been added 2 whole cloves of deep purple garlic, crushed (add the garlic to the milk as soon as it is crushed). To this add 6 hot sweet chillies, finely chopped and 1 tbsp each of fresly ground paprika and tumeric.

*Warm the mix to a serving heat for porridge then let stand overnight. Warm again at dawn, then mix with 2kg laying mash or 2kg of your own meal.

*If your birds are infested with worms: grate two whole carrots into each kilo of mash, adding it raw, then stir well into the pre-warmed mix. end of artical.

There is also an interesting article on growing greens for your chooks in the same mag.

Regards

Ian Clayton turkey.gif

1 Wife, 1 Daughter, 1 Dog, 1 Cat, 1 Dexter Bull, 2 Dexter Steers, 7 Dexter Cows, 2 Dexter Heifers, 6 Dexter Calves, 19 Wiltshire Horned Sheep, 1 Wiltshire Horned Ram, 1 Barnevelder Rooster, 7 Mixed Breed Old Chooks, 4 Barnevelder Hens and 17 Barnevelder Chicks. See them all @ www.ethicaldexterbeef.com.au

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Organic Worming Mash
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:23 am 

Hi All :-D
Another natural product is Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE).

It is important that you only use Food Grade DE, DO NOT USE SWIMMING POOL FILTER DE.

DE can be used as a wormer for all your birds, animals and humans. I have been using it in my Dexter Cattle for the last three years and I do not have a worm problem.

Natural DE is the remains of mocroscopic one-celled plants called diatoms that lived in oceans and lakes all over the world including Australia. These deposits are mined in Australia from ancient dried lake beds (in North Qld at Mt Garnett).

There is plenty of info on the net on Food Grade DE or you can send me a private email and I can email you a 5 page attachment on DE.

DE should be availble from your stockfeed outlet, we sell it in our store.

Regards

Ian Clayton turkey.gif

1 Wife, 1 Daughter, 1 Dog, 1 Cat, 1 Dexter Bull, 2 Dexter Steers, 7 Dexter Cows, 2 Dexter Heifers, 6 Dexter Calves, 19 Wiltshire Horned Sheep, 1 Wiltshire Horned Ram, 1 Barnevelder Rooster, 7 Mixed Breed Old Chooks, 4 Barnevelder Hens and 17 Barnevelder Chicks. See them all @ www.ethicaldexterbeef.com.au

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:43 am 

Hi Ian,

Interesting comments regarding organic wormers.

I agree that we should try to minimise the amounts of chemicals our birds are exposed to.

However, I have yet to see anything but anecdotal evidence that these work.

Do you know of any proven studies that have been published? The problem with lots of neutraceuticals is just that- lots of heresay but no real evidence that they work.

Don't get me wrong- I'd rather use products like DE, carrot, garlic etc- I just want to make sure that they work!

Cheers

Parvo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:17 pm 

Hi Parvo :-D
I can only speak from my customers and my own experience. With young cattle worms are a major problem at weaning. I feed my young Dexter calfs DE from an early age and have had no problems with worms, these are stud cattle and worth quite a bit so I can't afford to loose them.

I sell DE to a wide range of people who use it on a variaty of birds and animals and all come back happy.

To worm:
Chooks feed at 5% mixed into feed.
Cats half a teaspoon.
Small dogs 1 teaspoon.
Large dog 1 tablespoon.
Humans 1 tablespoon daily. also helps as a detox.
Cattle 1 desertspoon daily.

You can under dose but not overdose with DE.

DE can also be used as an insecticide it kills cockroaches, fleas, lice and most others incects. So how?
The insecticidal quality of DE is due to the razor sharp edges of the diatom remains. When DE comes in contact with the the insects the sharp edges lacerate the bugs waxy exoskeleton and then the powdery DE absorbs the body fluids causing death from dehydration.

DE is perfect for putting into an area where your chooks dust bath to control fleas and lice.

DE contains 15 trace minerals - great for animals, humans, plants and soil.

Regards

Ian Clayton turkey.gif

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:32 pm 

I love the idea of an organic alternative in all things as we practice all organic farming. I will try the mash and post my findings. Thank you for sharing an alternative to chemicals.

Ozzieroo
Camden Organic Farm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:35 am 

It is interesting that there is a natural treatment for those who don't like using chemicals or what not

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:49 pm 

It would be interesting to try this and then have a vet test the birds for worms. If there was scientific proof the non chemical way worked I'd feel much safer using it. (Which seems like a backward statement, but the damage done to a chook with a worm burden is pretty bad.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:16 am 

I agree with you Roova :)

Silver and gold laced wyandotte, Buff Orp, Black Austalorpe, 4 recently rescued "raggies" (battery hens) one rescued battery hen who survived the fox attack that took away my whole last flock and now TOTALLY rules the roost. Oh and two Alpacas, and 3 dogs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:35 pm 

There are many natural remedies that work better than chemicals so I really hope this one works as good or better

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:19 am 

I re-read the ingredients several times. What do you add to make it a mash? There is only milk garlic and chilli stated. Do they drink it? I thought milk products were more or less a no no for poultry. I am looking for a recipe but want to add pumpkin seeds to mine as well as carrot. conf665