AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:41 pm 

Deans' Poultry wrote:
You were blaming the kids for dropping them a couple of weeks ago :-?
The truth ALWAYS comes out in the hatching! :lol: ;)

They were taking them out of the nesting box and breaking them. They didn't even make it to the house, let alone the incubator.

Deans' Poultry wrote:
Nah well done mate. I wouldn't have the confidence or knowhow for that matter to build my own incubator. Although with step by step guidence whilst holding my hand the whole time, i might just give it a go one day :-D

If I can do it, I reckon you can. But, you will need both hands. ;)

Post subject: hatch
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:05 pm 

Yep - pretty good for a first try. I wonder if you could put a small wire or plastic basket in to put the hatching eggs in, so that the others aren't too disturbed. Mind you, a bit of movement wouldn't have hurt them, any problems would probably be caused by bacteria in the incubator.

I know people that separate the eggs with pieces of cardboard, which are cheap and they just throw the dividers away and replace them. Only problem with cardboard is that it might disrupt the air flow. Maybe get some mesh and make something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:29 am 

I put some aviary mesh in half-way through hatching when I realised how mobile they are. This was to stop them from jumping overboard entirely.

I never thought to use any to stop them visiting another part of the "ship".

Post subject: Re: air sac
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:31 am 

Eggsalive wrote:
There's no harm in trying, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high on those remaining eggs. If they haven't pipped, they're not about to hatch. Many things can cause 'dead in shell' chicks.

I should have waited!!!

I just had quite a surprise.

It was day 7 Saturday for the 8 newer eggs, so I candled them and the four remaining due-to-hatch eggs.

I put all four of the due-to-hatch eggs aside as there was no movement.

I put two of the day 7 ones aside as they had no embryos, but each had what appeared to be a bacterial ring. They'll be going out without further exploration.

Anyway, I then took out the sponges and stuff to lower the humidity, reset the eggs, finished my dessert and finally took the eggs out to the kitchen.

I used a knife to break the air sac end of the egg to reveal the membrane and begin a post mortem of the unhatched egg.

The chicken moved. :shock:

Darn. Bugger. Oops. Oh. What the...???

It was fine after all.

Well, to cut a long story short...I've returned all four unhatched eggs to the incubator and set about boosting the humidity again.

I have no idea if the chicken with the broken egg has a chance. The hole is about 1.5cm across, maybe 2cm and provides quite a view. It doesn't have to pip and it may not know what to do about the "rotate and break" thing they do.

And, since its beak isn't even in the air sac yet, I wonder when it had been planning that.

If it hatches, it will be a miracle. Quite appropriate for the Sabbath, hey?

And, I can only hope one or two of the others are alive still, too. Three of the four are large.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:30 am 

Chances of the broken shelled egg hatching are slim if not impossible, but like you said, its the sabbath day and you might get ya Miracle ;)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:25 pm 
­
­

Hi Greenaus, Leave them longer, if one is alive then it's possible they all could be.

Thanks
P.A :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:14 pm 

PEACOCKSAUSTRALIA wrote:
Hi Greenaus, Leave them longer, if one is alive then it's possible they all could be.

Thanks
P.A :lol: :lol:

Day 25 and for the most part, I'm still waiting.

The chick with the shell missing at the air sac end was still alive last night. However, I made a fatal mistake and chick paid for it with its life, dying overnight. :cry:

Yet another lesson learned: Do NOT try to "help" them by peeling away some shell. You might hit a blood vessel. An,d when that happens... :shock:

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Who is on the Forum

Users browsing this forum: 10Geese, 6 Ducks, 70%cocoa, 9 Ducks, ABC Poultry, Adam Smith, Adeiela, Akeet, Alex Cooper, alexanderpeafowl, AlligatorCrkHeritageBreed, Alpine Poultry, Amature Chookz, American Gamefowl, andrewschooks, Ann Meek, Appleton Australorps, arvoducks, Ash Maree, auctioneer, Avi Rare Breeds, Ayam Cemani, Backyard Chicken Chat, Backyard fowl, BaliDuckz, Bantam Rhode Island Red, Bantamenance, Barnywood, Baz Fitzgerald, beakybird, bearfred, BeatenEgg, Beaudesert Mandarins, bemba, Ben Newton, benalla park, Bendigo Poultry, Berryjj, BigDucksOz, BigQuackers, birds101, Birds4u, birdsrock, Birdz4u, Black Lories, blackdotte, blackleghorn, BlackSwan, Blackswan1, Blue Australorps, bluefirelady, Bob Brookes, BokBok2, Bonniedoo, Boolaroo, Booths Bantams, Boxwood, Brad M, brerrabbit, Brian Jack, BriansPeas, broken bird, BROOKES POULTRY, BT Homestead, BUBO, Buff Pekins, Buggsy, BushPig, ButtercupBreedGroup, BYC, byhookorchook, Cackles, caladenia, Caladenia Cottage, Calum H, Cammo Qld, CamsBantams, Carawatha Chickens, Cashmere, castaway chicken, cc's poultry, Cessnock Poultry, Chang Lee, Charmhaven Chooks, Cheesman Chooks, Chicken Unity, chicken-boy, Chicken07, chickenlittle, Chickens Mad, Chickhorn, Chook Lady, chookasaurus, chookgirl, chookiebum, ChookieG, ChookMamma, ChookMum, Chooks Galore, Chooks R Us, Chooks&Guineas, chookslife, chookyinoz, ChookzGallour, Christine Shaw, Chukar, Cliff Wyandotte Bantams, Clucky Henz, CluckyDeb, coastalchookies, Colac Sussex, ColacWaterfowl, Collector Peafowl, Connor Peafowl, cookie, Cordelia, Country Bird, CountryChookz, Cowhide, CrackerChook, Crash, Crescent Head Bantams, Daggy Guineas, Dan41, Daniel Lawton, Danny, Danny Brown, DARLING DOWNS PIGEONS, Darren James, darrssy, daviburn, David Simons, DavidGraham, Deb Thomas, debbilee, Denis, Desborough Birds, Dianne Carter, DillDale, Dodds Birds, DragonsDen, Dreaming Guineas, Ducks & Guineas, duckyfromoz, Duckz44, Eason Chooks, Easter Eggerz, Eat Chooks, Ecovald, eggnog, EggSellent, eggy, eugenia, Ewan Watkins, Exodus, Fancychooklady, Farmer Benji, FattyFarm, Feathers01, Feral Cheryl Silky's, Flash, Flightfeathers, FlockPheasants, fluff fur & feathers, FluffyBum Silkies, FowlMan, Fraggle, Frances Brahmas, Fraser Island, French Wheaten Maran, FrogLeap, Furze Chooks, Gaggle of Geese, Gails Guinea Fowl, Gamebreeder, Garth Lester, GavinGoose, geckodan, Georges Birds, Ginny, girlfriday, Glen Fowler, Gold Hornets, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Golden Macaws, Golden Pond, Golden West Waterfowl, Goodwin Ducks, Goran, Gosford Geese, Got GuineaFowl, Goulburn Heritage Poultry, grabby, gramps, GreenWest, Greg Clarke, Greg Davies, Groth, Grove_Guineas, GUINEA FOWL, guinea fowl galore, Guinea Fowl Troop, Guinea Gang, Guinea Love, Guinea Obsession, Guinea owner, guineafowl, GuineaHomer, Haggis, hairycanary, Hale Family, HAPPYHENS, Hardfeather, Hawkes, Healesville Arucana, heggie, Heidi F, Heijo, Helenchooks, Henny Penny, HillbillyGirlWA, Hyline Brown, Ian B, infoaddict, Isa Brown, Isachooks, Island Fowl, Ivan J, J Hicks, jaffa, James Willis, Jane Stewart, Janelle Marshall, Jane's Chooks, jap jumbo quails, jarryd, Jarryd Holmes, Jeff Duncan, Jen71, Jersey Giant, Jett, Jimboomba Poultry, JLockett, Jocon, John Cole, John Pike, johnstoneparksussex, JonksGuineas, jose, Josh Welsummers, jr, JRA, Judith King, Judy Appleton, Julie Hart, Kalimna Heritage Poultry, kardella poultry, Karlisa, Katy, KAZZA64, KellyP, KEMPSEY NAKED NECKS, Ken Johnstone, kezabel, Khaki_Ducks, Kin Kin Silkies, Kingscote Chickens, Kingsthorpe Fowl, klw, konopiste, KoopKing, kowie, KT, KTNQ, kyall3, LadyAmherst21, lanceview, Lavender Guinea Fowl, Lawnton Poultry, Lesley Thomson, Leslie Cooper, Lilly, Linda P, Linz, Lozzy, LozzyR, LueT, luvmychook, madrex, MamaPyjamaHens, MamasPyjamas, Mandy More, Mannie, Marek, Marengo Heritage Poultry, Margaret Stuart, Margie Goodwin, Margret Young, Mark Godwill, MaryJ, MaryJanet, Matt Burdon, Matt Hamo, Matt Knight, MattsGuineas, Mcginniss Fowl, meander, Melanie Y, MemoryLane, Michael Holmes, Michael Underwood, Milo, MinistryofDucks, Minorca&AndalusianStud, MinorcaCoop, mitchell07, MitchesMarans, Monique, Monto Poultry, MrPeabody, Mrpeewee, mrsgoose, Ms Frankie, Mulbring, mummaroo, Muzz Pheasants, mycoola, Myflockoblues, mysticviews, NanangoGuineaBoy, Natasha Moore, nathanael bantams, NellyG, Nel’s Pekins, NEP, NepeanBirds, New England Watefowl, NightMare, Noel Cox, Noosaville, NSW King Quails, NZ Guinea Fowl, NZ Pekin Queen, Oaklands, Oldmanrooster, Olivia N, ONE TREE HILL, Ozchook, ozflock, ozguineafowl, ozibirds, O'Connor Sumatras, P_Edwards, Pam, Partridge Brahma, Paul Clark, Peafowland, peamad, pearcey, Peel Waterfowl, PeepGuineafowl, Perth Pigeons, perthchooks, Peter Mead, Pheasant Man, Phil Thomas, PHILL, PingLee, Pitts_Poultry, pj hatchery, Podgie, PossumCorner, Poulsen, Poultry, Poultry Hoarder, Poultry Matters, Poultry mum, Poultry Rare Breeds, poultrynut, PrestigePeafowl, Pretty boy, Priens Fowl, prorooster, Prouten, Pure Poultry Images, QuailFarmer, QuailQueenGC, QuailTales, Quailz, Quamby Chickens, Rainbow Chickens, Rawlinson, realimagery, redeyekeet, redjohanna, Reeves Family, Rhiannan H, Rhode Red, Rick Bobby, Riverchase, RJJ Fowl, Rob Smith, Rocky Bobby, RockyRoos, Rod Taylor, Roger Parkin, Rohan, rollyard, Roma Runners, Rose, RossGuineaFowl, Roundyard, rowan1, ruff, rwood, Sandra Clarke, Sandra O'Neil, SantaClaws, satchell hens, Scots Grey Stud, seeing_spots, shairlyn, Sharni N, shayne, Shaza Rawlinson, Sheffield Pekins, Shelly Roberts, Shoalhaven Fowl, Show Silkie Stud, Silkie Pure breed, silver duckwing game, Smallflock, snowball, South Aust Rouen Ducks, SouthernDucks, SouthSussex, Sparky, splash laced Wyandotte, springcreek, Stark Waterfowls, Stelan, Stephen Richards, Steve Davies, Stewart Grant, Stuart Turner, Sue Clarke, Sue Hall, Sue ONeill, Sue Sheppard, Sue Wards, sue55, Sultans Stud Qld, Sumatra Stud AU, sunrise, Sussex Light, Sussex19, swiftwood pheasants, SwineoSam, SydneyOEG, T.A.S.S™ [Bot], TANYA, TazBarnies, The Barnyard, The Browns, The Chook Man, The Good Life, The Gotfeather, TheChookBlock, Tolmie Guinea Fowl, Tolmie Peafowl, Tolmie Pheasants, Tony & Linda, Toolern Vale Fowl, Tracey Lamb, Tracys Poultry Farm, Trany Naked Neck, Tribe of Honk, Tropic Poultry, Trott Park, Trout Runner, Turkey Man, Varley Pheasants, Vella Layer Hens, Vicki Joy, Victorian Waterfowl, Violet Town, Vivian Stephen, W Brown, WA GUINEA FOWL GUY, warmblood, Webbs Orpingtons, WendyT, Wheatley Silkies, white modern game, Whittlesea Poultry, whittls, wildman, Willow Park Poultry, winglet, wolfgang, Wombatbird, Wonderful Silkies, Wongarra Poultry, Wood Duck, WoodAviaries, WotTheFlock, Yeppoon Guinea Fowl, Yvette, Zanne and 5679657 guests