AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Hatching turkeys in an incubator
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:01 am 

Hi all
I'm attempting my first incubator hatching of 4 turkey eggs. They're in a manual-turn fan-forced hexagonal type incubator. I've candled them 3 times, and now they're in their last week (hopefully) of growth. I've read that I need to stop turning them about 3 days before the hatch date.
I'd appeciate advice on the hatching process. How long do I leave them in the incubator after hatching? Any other advice gratefully received.
Also, I'd like to upgrade to an automatic incubator that holds around 50 turkey eggs. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Hatching turkeys in an incubator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:08 am 

Stop turning on day 26 and they should hatch on day 28. Do not open the incubator during this time as you will lose humidity and the poults will struggle to get out.

If nothing has happened by day 28, leave another couple of days before giving up hope.

Assuming they do hatch, then leave till they are well fluffed up (about a day) before taking them out.

When looking at incubators, have a really good look around as price is very variable.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:10 pm 

Thanks very much for the advice. Will do.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:45 pm 

I followed the advice you gave, and all 4 poults hatched over a two-day period. Of the 4 that hatched, one died within a day, and one has crooked toes. The ones I left under the hen hatched a day earlier. They are all healthy. I think it's probably a reflection of my inexperience with a manual-turn incubator. Nevertheless, I'm delighted that 2 are OK.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:57 am 

That is a pretty good effort with a cheap incubator!

If they are hatching a little earlier under the hen, then this suggests that your incubator should be a smidge warmer. Try turning it up by about 0.2 degrees for the next batch?

Also move them about in the incubator each time you turn them as the small incubators can be a bit variable for temperature.

In Darwin, when the weather warms up you'll need to find somewhere airconditioned to keep the incubator as they can tend to overheat once daytime temps get much over about 30oC.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:11 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

andrewschooks wrote:
That is a pretty good effort with a cheap incubator!

In Darwin, when the weather warms up you'll need to find somewhere airconditioned to keep the incubator as they can tend to overheat once daytime temps get much over about 30oC.

Missed this post – been a ‘touch’ busy

Yep good hatch
But can I suggest soon as the temp goes over 28 instead of 30 – going on reports from where it snows each Winter/Spring and summer temps are 22-25 max compared to here where the heat is annihilating to say the least each Summer

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:41 pm 

Thanks for your suggestions, both about temp and moving the eggs around the incubator (which I deliberately didn't do). I will try again sometime soon in this incubator, mainly because I'd like to get it right. I hate to thnk that my mistakes have caused problems to the embryoes!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:36 am 

This is great as this will be my first year with the hoverbator and I will be trying some turkey eggs so it will hopefully stop me from making too many mistakes I just have to make sure none of the kids drop the eggs which they do regularly now as with 5 kids they fight over who is going to carry them

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:04 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

RushHour wrote:
I just have to make sure none of the kids drop the eggs which they do regularly now as with 5 kids they fight over who is going to carry them

I mandate that no child from your household be allowed to carry or even handle any turkey eggs this coming season

I have spoken therefore it shall be :lol: :oops: :oops: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:42 am 

I think I shall heed your mandate or I may have no eggs to hatch