AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Rice Husks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:37 pm 

Does anyone know where I can buy rice husks for my brooder? I live in springwood Qld I do not mind driving a little to pick them up

Post subject: Re: Rice Husks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:58 pm 

In answer to your question, why rice husks? I use sugar cane mulch and have never had any issues from chickens to pheasant chicks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:11 pm 

Sorry I'm unable to assist where you might get rice hulls in your area.
I have to also ask, Why rice hulls???
My experience has been they are not absorbent, they do drain freely but the moisture settles below the litter, the chicks stand in droppings and then the rice hulls stick to thier feet, they attract mice with the small amount of grains contained.They also have an inhibiting effect on plant growth if used as a compost in the garden when the brooder is cleaned.
I much prefer softwood shavings, are clean, smell fresh and are absorbent, the only drawback is if used as a compost later take some nitrogen in the process of breaking down.
I find straws and some other legume mulches are course for the young chicks to bed on, compact with manure and moisture and if flies have access can become maggot infested.
In all with everything considered I feel shavings are the best option.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:04 am 

I was told to use them so thats why I was asking but it would be easier to use sugar cane or hay as I can get that just down the road. Thanks I am so glad I asked now

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:51 am 

I was told the same thing about the mice and so I use wood shavings instead and its great

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:30 am 

Rice hulls are perfectly fine to use in a brooder as all brooders should be vermin proof anyway so that should not be an issue

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:12 am 

I appreciate your point of view Q-A-T-W but you have obviously not lived through a mouse plague as some areas are experiencing now, where I am for one.
Not just an odd mouse in the feed shed but estimated at 8000: to the hectare.
Any food source encourages them in and they completely devastate everything,crops in the paddock, emerging planted grains, food in the cupboard, clothing, linen, electricals, even the family car is not safe with them building nests on a warm engine and chewing through any and all electrical systems, rendering the vehicle lifeless, they even get into the air vents and build nests o'nite.
Your comment does not address the fact that rice hulls are not absorbent anyway and moisture in and around a brooder is not healthy for the growing chicks.
Vermin proofing a brooder area can only go so far, some vermin are almost impossible to exclude completely, particularly when in plague proportions.
Add to this the danger of baiting, a practice you would not encourage in or around any poultry and the best remedy is to not encourage them in, in the first place.
Rice hulls are not the best option and soft wood shavings by far the superior alternative.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:34 pm 

I went with straw in the end just to be safe from mice. Thank you all so much you have all been so helpful

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:35 am 

Your right no I have not experienced a mouse plague and certainly feel for those that have

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:04 am 

wave.gif
Many of us not "HAVE" experienced a mouse plague although I did further west in the 80's but at present "ARE" experiencing a plague and all reports are it is moving east and not declining, effecting many of the grain growing areas of the central and far west of the state.
If this keeps up we no doubt will all pay higher prices in future for our feed grains, so even if you don't have the mice there will almost surely be a flow on to us all.

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Who is on the Forum

Users browsing this forum: 10Geese, 70%cocoa, ABC Poultry, Adam Smith, Adeiela, Akeet, Alex Cooper, alexanderpeafowl, AlligatorCrkHeritageBreed, Alpine Poultry, Amature Chookz, andrewschooks, Appleton Australorps, arvoducks, Ash Maree, auctioneer, Avi Rare Breeds, Ayam Cemani, Backyard Chicken Chat, Backyard fowl, BaliDuckz, Bantam Rhode Island Red, Bantamenance, Barnywood, beakybird, bearfred, BeatenEgg, Beaudesert Mandarins, bemba, Ben Newton, benalla park, Bendigo Poultry, BigDucksOz, BigQuackers, birds101, Birds4u, birdsrock, Birdz4u, blackdotte, blackleghorn, BlackSwan, Blackswan1, Blue Australorps, bluefirelady, Bob Brookes, BokBok2, Boolaroo, Booths Bantams, Boxwood, Brad M, brerrabbit, Brian Jack, BriansPeas, broken bird, BROOKES POULTRY, BT Homestead, Buff Pekins, Buggsy, BushPig, ButtercupBreedGroup, BYC, byhookorchook, Cackles, caladenia, Caladenia Cottage, Calum H, Cammo Qld, CamsBantams, Carawatha Chickens, Cashmere, castaway chicken, cc's poultry, Charmhaven Chooks, Cheesman Chooks, Chicken Unity, chicken-boy, Chicken07, chickenlittle, Chickens Mad, Chickhorn, Chook Lady, chookasaurus, chookgirl, chookiebum, ChookieG, ChookMamma, ChookMum, Chooks Galore, Chooks R Us, chookslife, chookyinoz, Christine Shaw, Chukar, Cliff Wyandotte Bantams, CluckyDeb, coastalchookies, Colac Sussex, ColacWaterfowl, Collector Peafowl, Connor Peafowl, cookie, Cordelia, Country Bird, CountryChookz, Cowhide, CrackerChook, Crash, Daggy Guineas, Daniel Lawton, Danny, Danny Brown, darrssy, daviburn, Deb Thomas, debbilee, Denis, Desborough Birds, Dianne Carter, DillDale, Dodds Birds, DragonsDen, Dreaming Guineas, duckyfromoz, Duckz44, Eason Chooks, Eat Chooks, Ecovald, eggnog, EggSellent, eggy, eugenia, Fancychooklady, Farmer Benji, Feathers01, Flash, FlockPheasants, fluff fur & feathers, FluffyBum Silkies, FowlMan, Fraggle, Frances Brahmas, Fraser Island, FrogLeap, Furze Chooks, Gaggle of Geese, Gamebreeder, GavinGoose, geckodan, Ginny, girlfriday, Glen Fowler, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Golden Pond, Goodwin Ducks, Goran, Goulburn Heritage Poultry, grabby, GreenWest, Greg Davies, GUINEA FOWL, guinea fowl galore, Guinea owner, guineafowl, GuineaHomer, Haggis, hairycanary, HAPPYHENS, Hardfeather, Hawkes, heggie, Heidi F, Heijo, Helenchooks, Henny Penny, HillbillyGirlWA, Ian B, infoaddict, Isa Brown, Isachooks, Island Fowl, Ivan J, J Hicks, jaffa, Jane Stewart, Janelle Marshall, Jane's Chooks, jap jumbo quails, jarryd, Jeff Duncan, Jen71, Jersey Giant, Jimboomba Poultry, John Cole, John Pike, johnstoneparksussex, JonksGuineas, jose, Josh Welsummers, jr, JRA, Judith King, Judy Appleton, Julie Hart, Kalimna Heritage Poultry, kardella poultry, Karlisa, Katy, KAZZA64, KellyP, KEMPSEY NAKED NECKS, Ken Johnstone, kezabel, Khaki_Ducks, Kin Kin Silkies, Kingscote Chickens, klw, konopiste, KoopKing, kowie, KT, kyall3, LadyAmherst21, lanceview, Lawnton Poultry, Lesley Thomson, Leslie Cooper, Lilly, Linda P, Linz, Lozzy, LozzyR, LueT, luvmychook, madrex, MamasPyjamas, Mannie, Marek, Marengo Heritage Poultry, Margret Young, MaryJ, MaryJanet, Matt Knight, MattsGuineas, Mcginniss Fowl, meander, Melanie Y, MemoryLane, Milo, MinistryofDucks, Minorca&AndalusianStud, MinorcaCoop, mitchell07, MitchesMarans, Monique, Monto Poultry, MrPeabody, Mrpeewee, Ms Frankie, mummaroo, mycoola, Myflockoblues, mysticviews, NanangoGuineaBoy, NellyG, NEP, NepeanBirds, New England Watefowl, NightMare, Noel Cox, NSW King Quails, NZ Pekin Queen, Oaklands, Oldmanrooster, Olivia N, ONE TREE HILL, Ozchook, ozflock, ozguineafowl, ozibirds, O'Connor Sumatras, P_Edwards, Pam, Paul Clark, Peafowland, peamad, pearcey, PeepGuineafowl, Perth Pigeons, perthchooks, Peter Mead, Pheasant Man, Phil Thomas, PHILL, Pitts_Poultry, pj hatchery, Podgie, PossumCorner, Poulsen, Poultry, Poultry Hoarder, Poultry Matters, Poultry mum, Poultry Rare Breeds, poultrynut, PrestigePeafowl, Pretty boy, Priens Fowl, prorooster, Prouten, QuailFarmer, QuailQueenGC, QuailTales, Quailz, Quamby Chickens, Rainbow Chickens, Rawlinson, realimagery, redeyekeet, redjohanna, Reeves Family, Rhiannan H, Rhode Red, Rick Bobby, Ricky Bobby, RJJ Fowl, Rob Smith, Rod Taylor, Roger Parkin, rollyard, Roma Runners, Rose, Roundyard, ruff, rwood, Sandra Clarke, SantaClaws, Scots Grey Stud, seeing_spots, shairlyn, Sharni N, shayne, Shelly Roberts, silver duckwing game, Smallflock, snowball, South Aust Rouen Ducks, SouthernDucks, SouthSussex, Sparky, splash laced Wyandotte, springcreek, Stark Waterfowls, Stelan, Stephen Richards, Steve Davies, Stuart Turner, Sue Clarke, Sue Hall, Sue Sheppard, Sue Wards, sue55, Sumatra Stud AU, sunrise, Sussex19, swiftwood pheasants, SwineoSam, SydneyOEG, T.A.S.S™ [Bot], TANYA, TazBarnies, The Barnyard, The Browns, The Chook Man, The Good Life, The Gotfeather, TheChookBlock, Toolern Vale Fowl, Trany Naked Neck, Tribe of Honk, Tropic Poultry, Trott Park, Trout Runner, Turkey Man, Vella Layer Hens, Vicki Joy, Victorian Waterfowl, Violet Town, W Brown, warmblood, Webbs Orpingtons, WendyT, white modern game, Whittlesea Poultry, whittls, wildman, winglet, Wombatbird, Wonderful Silkies, Wongarra Poultry, Wood Duck, WotTheFlock, Yvette, Zanne and 5679980 guests