AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Not to open the incubator after you set the eggs?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:37 am 

Hi I have recently got a bellsouth incubator and in the instructions is says not to open the incubator after you set the eggs up and they start to incubate but I need to turn them 2 times a day so how do I do that and will opening the incubator damage the eggs? all new to this

Post subject: Re: Not to open the incubator after you set the eggs?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:58 am 

Hi davey,
[smilie=welcome.gif]
In any incubator that you need to manually turn the eggs it is OK to ope it, as you say you have to turn the eggs twice daily.
By opening it you will give it a chance to change the air completely, when set naturally under a hen she leaves the eggs for a short time each day to feed, water and toilet and the eggs cool slightly, this is completely natural and benificial, the other thing is you will lose humidity when you open it.
In times of high heat and low humidity this can be corrected with a fine spray of warm water over the eggs once turned and you are ready to close it again.
I have worked with a manual turn incubator for many many years, get good results by doing as I've suggested.
In fact prefer the manual turn as you are personally monitoring the incubator and eggs twice daily and can head off any potential problems asap once you are aware.
Don't worry about it , open and turn your eggs, at worst you will only have it open for no more than a few minutes.
For the first 24 hrs I would not open it or turn the eggs, nor would I the last 48 hrs after you stop turning the eggs ready for hatching.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:13 am 

That is great I thought it must have been ok because I have to open it to turn them so it made no sense to me do I need to be quick about it like no more than a few minutes? also do you put a x on one side and a + on the other to know which need turning? sorry for all the questions the instruction don't give all that.
Thanks for the help by the way

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:46 pm 

You can do it at a reasonable pace, don't rush, 2 or 3 mimutes is fine, if for some reason they are over heated then a longer period is Ok as well, maybe 10 mins or so.
An X or mark on any side to allow you to know if you have turned them is fine.
In my incubator I have it set up so I only need to roll the eggs to the front of the tray in the morning and to face the back of the tray in the evening.As it is situated east west on the bench they face the rising sun in the morning and setting sun in the evening, that way if I'm unsure I only have to see which direction the eggs are facing to know if I have turned them, the older you get at times the more forgetfull you can be. [smilie=a_rolling.gif] .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:40 am 

Thanks mate I will let you know how it goes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:45 am 

Just to let you know Dave I have a bellsouth 100 and I open it 2 times a day to turn the eggs it takes me about 3 mins to do it and most of my eggs hatch so as the others have written it wont be a problem and if you take 3 or 4 minutes its ok

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:46 am 

That is good to no cheers for that

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:44 pm 

This is good to know as I am getting a Bellsouth 100 for Christmas [smilie=a_cookiemonster.gif] and I have never incubated eggs before!

'All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning' - Albert Camus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:26 am 

Good for me too I will have my first incubator in the new year so reading all I can to get a head start on the best ways to get chicks to hatch

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Who is on the Forum

Users browsing this forum: 10Geese, 6 Ducks, 70%cocoa, ABC Poultry, Adam Smith, Adeiela, Akeet, Alex Cooper, alexanderpeafowl, AlligatorCrkHeritageBreed, Alpine Poultry, Amature Chookz, andrewschooks, Appleton Australorps, arvoducks, Ash Maree, auctioneer, Avi Rare Breeds, Ayam Cemani, Backyard Chicken Chat, Backyard fowl, BaliDuckz, Bantam Rhode Island Red, Bantamenance, Barnywood, beakybird, bearfred, BeatenEgg, Beaudesert Mandarins, bemba, Ben Newton, benalla park, Bendigo Poultry, Berryjj, BigDucksOz, BigQuackers, birds101, Birds4u, birdsrock, Birdz4u, blackdotte, blackleghorn, BlackSwan, Blackswan1, Blue Australorps, bluefirelady, Bob Brookes, BokBok2, Boolaroo, Booths Bantams, Boxwood, Brad M, brerrabbit, Brian Jack, BriansPeas, broken bird, BROOKES POULTRY, BT Homestead, BUBO, Buff Pekins, Buggsy, BushPig, ButtercupBreedGroup, BYC, byhookorchook, Cackles, caladenia, Caladenia Cottage, Calum H, Cammo Qld, CamsBantams, Carawatha Chickens, Cashmere, castaway chicken, cc's poultry, Charmhaven Chooks, Cheesman Chooks, Chicken Unity, chicken-boy, Chicken07, chickenlittle, Chickens Mad, Chickhorn, Chook Lady, chookasaurus, chookgirl, chookiebum, ChookieG, ChookMamma, ChookMum, Chooks Galore, Chooks R Us, chookslife, chookyinoz, Christine Shaw, Chukar, Cliff Wyandotte Bantams, CluckyDeb, coastalchookies, Colac Sussex, ColacWaterfowl, Collector Peafowl, Connor Peafowl, cookie, Cordelia, Country Bird, CountryChookz, Cowhide, CrackerChook, Crash, Daggy Guineas, Daniel Lawton, Danny, Danny Brown, DARLING DOWNS PIGEONS, darrssy, daviburn, David Simons, DavidGraham, Deb Thomas, debbilee, Denis, Desborough Birds, Dianne Carter, DillDale, Dodds Birds, DragonsDen, Dreaming Guineas, duckyfromoz, Duckz44, Eason Chooks, Eat Chooks, Ecovald, eggnog, EggSellent, eggy, eugenia, Fancychooklady, Farmer Benji, Feathers01, Flash, FlockPheasants, fluff fur & feathers, FluffyBum Silkies, FowlMan, Fraggle, Frances Brahmas, Fraser Island, FrogLeap, Furze Chooks, Gaggle of Geese, Gails Guinea Fowl, Gamebreeder, GavinGoose, geckodan, Georges Birds, Ginny, girlfriday, Glen Fowler, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Golden Pond, Golden West Waterfowl, Goodwin Ducks, Goran, Goulburn Heritage Poultry, grabby, GreenWest, Greg Davies, GUINEA FOWL, guinea fowl galore, Guinea Fowl Troop, Guinea owner, guineafowl, GuineaHomer, Haggis, hairycanary, HAPPYHENS, Hardfeather, Hawkes, heggie, Heidi F, Heijo, Helenchooks, Henny Penny, HillbillyGirlWA, Hyline Brown, Ian B, infoaddict, Isa Brown, Isachooks, Island Fowl, Ivan J, J Hicks, jaffa, Jane Stewart, Janelle Marshall, Jane's Chooks, jap jumbo quails, jarryd, Jeff Duncan, Jen71, Jersey Giant, Jimboomba Poultry, John Cole, John Pike, johnstoneparksussex, JonksGuineas, jose, Josh Welsummers, jr, JRA, Judith King, Judy Appleton, Julie Hart, Kalimna Heritage Poultry, kardella poultry, Karlisa, Katy, KAZZA64, KellyP, KEMPSEY NAKED NECKS, Ken Johnstone, kezabel, Khaki_Ducks, Kin Kin Silkies, Kingscote Chickens, Kingsthorpe Fowl, klw, konopiste, KoopKing, kowie, KT, kyall3, LadyAmherst21, lanceview, Lawnton Poultry, Lesley Thomson, Leslie Cooper, Lilly, Linda P, Linz, Lozzy, LozzyR, LueT, luvmychook, madrex, MamasPyjamas, Mannie, Marek, Marengo Heritage Poultry, Margret Young, MaryJ, MaryJanet, Matt Knight, MattsGuineas, Mcginniss Fowl, meander, Melanie Y, MemoryLane, Milo, MinistryofDucks, Minorca&AndalusianStud, MinorcaCoop, mitchell07, MitchesMarans, Monique, Monto Poultry, MrPeabody, Mrpeewee, Ms Frankie, mummaroo, mycoola, Myflockoblues, mysticviews, NanangoGuineaBoy, nathanael bantams, NellyG, NEP, NepeanBirds, New England Watefowl, NightMare, Noel Cox, NSW King Quails, NZ Pekin Queen, Oaklands, Oldmanrooster, Olivia N, ONE TREE HILL, Ozchook, ozflock, ozguineafowl, ozibirds, O'Connor Sumatras, P_Edwards, Pam, Paul Clark, Peafowland, peamad, pearcey, Peel Waterfowl, PeepGuineafowl, Perth Pigeons, perthchooks, Peter Mead, Pheasant Man, Phil Thomas, PHILL, Pitts_Poultry, pj hatchery, Podgie, PossumCorner, Poulsen, Poultry, Poultry Hoarder, Poultry Matters, Poultry mum, Poultry Rare Breeds, poultrynut, PrestigePeafowl, Pretty boy, Priens Fowl, prorooster, Prouten, QuailFarmer, QuailQueenGC, QuailTales, Quailz, Quamby Chickens, Rainbow Chickens, Rawlinson, realimagery, redeyekeet, redjohanna, Reeves Family, Rhiannan H, Rhode Red, Rick Bobby, Ricky Bobby, Riverchase, RJJ Fowl, Rob Smith, Rod Taylor, Roger Parkin, Rohan, rollyard, Roma Runners, Rose, RossGuineaFowl, Roundyard, ruff, rwood, Sandra Clarke, SantaClaws, Scots Grey Stud, seeing_spots, shairlyn, Sharni N, shayne, Shelly Roberts, silver duckwing game, Smallflock, snowball, South Aust Rouen Ducks, SouthernDucks, SouthSussex, Sparky, splash laced Wyandotte, springcreek, Stark Waterfowls, Stelan, Stephen Richards, Steve Davies, Stewart Grant, Stuart Turner, Sue Clarke, Sue Hall, Sue Sheppard, Sue Wards, sue55, Sumatra Stud AU, sunrise, Sussex19, swiftwood pheasants, SwineoSam, SydneyOEG, T.A.S.S™ [Bot], TANYA, TazBarnies, The Barnyard, The Browns, The Chook Man, The Good Life, The Gotfeather, TheChookBlock, Tolmie Guinea Fowl, Tolmie Peafowl, Tolmie Pheasants, Toolern Vale Fowl, Trany Naked Neck, Tribe of Honk, Tropic Poultry, Trott Park, Trout Runner, Turkey Man, Varley Pheasants, Vella Layer Hens, Vicki Joy, Victorian Waterfowl, Violet Town, W Brown, warmblood, Webbs Orpingtons, WendyT, Wheatley Silkies, white modern game, Whittlesea Poultry, whittls, wildman, Willow Park Poultry, winglet, Wombatbird, Wonderful Silkies, Wongarra Poultry, Wood Duck, WotTheFlock, Yvette, Zanne and 5680057 guests