AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: chicks that are not thriving
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:51 am 

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? I bought 3 chicks of 7 different breeds from a hatchery, and some of the little chicks just are not getting very big, and then they die. They seem to be a lot smaller than the others and it is not just one breed, but about 4 or 5 in the 21. I have had 2 die already, one from just not eating, and the other had some wierd wings where the wing joints didn't seem to form properly, then I went out one morning and it was dead. Today one of my gold laced wyandottes is laying on it's side, refusing to eat and can't stand. I have tried to hand feed it, but it won't take the food and is very thin. 3 days ago, I started making a mash up at night so that any smaller chick that can't eat the chick crumble can still eat some food, and they all seemed to eat well. I don't know what I am doing wrong. These are the first chicks I have ever raised so any advice would be appreciated.

1 skitz cat, speckled, platinum, and silver sussex, indian games, DB and buff plymouth rocks, gold laced wyandottes, a gold pencilled hamburg, 2 dexter steers, and a widowed mother (human, not bovine).

Post subject: Re: chicks that are not thriving
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:02 pm 

Have you spoken to the hatchery yet to see what they suggest? Have you still got the one with odd wing joints? You might want to show that to them and see what they say. I'm assuming you've got them warm and out of a draught? Anything unusual that they can eat, not neccesarily something you are feeding them, but something they can reach that they perhaps shouldn't? What have you got on the floor of your brooder? For that matter, what is your brooder made of? I've no idea mind you, I'm just fishing for clues?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:23 pm 

I am open to any ideas. I have them in a brooder box made of marine ply that is 1m x 1m x 60cm high that is covered with a blanket that I can remove to allow fresh air but not a draft. The bedding I am using is half wood shavings and half chaff to give them something to scratch in. I have tried to get hold of the hatchery, but they are unresponsive at the moment and the little baby that had the dodgy wings died. I wondered whether it is getting to hot for them as the little one that was looking really bad this morning, picked up when it was cooler this morning, but is now looking worse and even though I turned the light off, it is still 37 degrees here in laidley. I have also separated my 3 speckled sussex chicks from the others, as when they arrived they were significantly bigger and the breeder said that they were a couple of weeks older, but should be fine in the same brooder box. Could the older birds have been trampling the little ones? I am feeling very guilty that it is all my fault and I don't know how to help them. SIGH. :(

1 skitz cat, speckled, platinum, and silver sussex, indian games, DB and buff plymouth rocks, gold laced wyandottes, a gold pencilled hamburg, 2 dexter steers, and a widowed mother (human, not bovine).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:15 pm 

You can tell if it's too hot or cold in the brooder by how they react to the lamp or heat source; all cluster under it and it's too cold, get as far away as possible from it and they're too hot. Some observation will tell you how the rest of them are getting along. Are the older sussex hogging all the food and driving the smaller chicks off? If so you might need to set up another feed and water station at the other end so there is more opportunity to feed and less likelihood of fighting. Did you notice the older birds trampling the small ones? Also, I doubt there is a problem with the bedding, but what sort of wood chip and chaff have you got and where did you obtain it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:00 pm 

Thanks for the advice WW. I found out today that they have a respiratory infection so they are all on antibiotics for the next few days. I am also force feeding the sickest birds some mash mixed with antibiotics, because they are not drinking. If they weren't so darn cute, I would wonder whether it was worth it. Then I just go look at their antics for awhile, and realize it so is.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:03 pm 

Glad to hear you have got a diagnosis and are working on the problem, what did the breeder say about replacing the two that died?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:20 pm 

He hasn't replied to my emails and his phone is going to message bank. I will try again next week after new year. So frustrating. One baby is still looking really sick, but the others are doing better all ready. The thing I am most angry about, is that when he delivered them, I asked for all day olds, and the 3 speckled Sussex chicks were 3 weeks old. He said they would be fine in the brooder box with the others, but they were stepping on the little ones, so I had to find another box to put those 3 in. So I can't accurately say how old any of the babies are, or what weight they are meant to be. Considering this is the first lot of chicks I have ever looked after, it has been a steep learning curve.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:49 pm 

Consider though, by the time these chicks are grown you will be an expert.

I gather the breeder is too far away to just go and visit?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:06 am 

kelliecat wrote:
Hi all. I have got 19, 2 week old chicks that I bought and was wondering if there is any foods I should not be giving them. I have a feeder in the box with a constant supply of chick starter, but I have been putting in handfuls of chaff for them to scratch around, as well as bread, tomato, apple, apricot and whatever I am eating as I walk past the box. Is this ok to do, or am I harming them?

Good luck with your remaining chicks. Everything in life is a learning experience. Keep them warm and the brooder box clean. If you are coming up with a heat wave make sure that they do not over heat and have access to extra cool water.

Also best to keep their diet straightforward and simple as in only feeding them the chick crumble for the first six weeks as with babies I don't think that their stomachs are mature enough also to digest other foods no matter how good the intention of giving the treats were. I have been giving my chicks a handful of washed rye grass after a week old.

"There comes a time in your life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all life is too short to be anything but happy."
Karl Marx, Composer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:25 pm 

I am doing that now. The 3 speckled Sussex are now 6 weeks old and they are in their own pen now, and are also experiencing time on the grass in a pen for small periods of time. The little ones are around 3 weeks old and are looking sooooo much better than they did 3 days ago. My littlest one is now eating and I am keeping an eye on the temp and their behavior. I will post some photos tomorrow to show how they are looking if anyone is interested.