AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Setting Up Your Incubator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:50 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Hi Chicken Chatters , I recently got into a conversation about where you set your incubator up , and thought it would be a good topic for our Chicken Chat , at the moment I am using two bellsouths , (foam bators) .
I have them in my shed which has two whirly gigs on the roof ,and is insulated on the wall that cops the sun, I have them set up on an old table . To give them extra insulation I have cut large pieces of fridge foam for them to sit on , and cover them with a thick insulation blanket , which helps keep the temperature from fluctuating to much , I also put extra mesh in my bators ,as I still used hand turned bators , and it stops the eggs rolling around during turning , So , if you have any good tips on "setting up your incubator" or would like to share " your method " with us let us know , Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:58 am 

Hi Ian,

I have been laughed at before for this, but I will share again - my little 12 egg incubator is currently sitting in our living room (right behind where we sit at the computer) with a large fire guard around it to keep prying little fingers away! :oops:

I thought it would be best to have it inside where the temperature was relatively stable, and because it is so small it is a full-time job keeping the water bowl filled up to keep the humidity right.

It is also nice and handy for the kids to keep an eye on things at hatching time! :-D

I admit, I don't think even I would be allowed to have an enormous Bellsouth in here though! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:03 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Good Idea deb , I have been known to bring mine insid for special eggs , and always had good hatches in the house , The hardest part is keping the kids away, when they're hatching, Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:08 am 

Yes - hence the fire guard and accompanying death glare if they try to open the gate!! :lol: :lol: ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:11 am 

Seeing as all our hens are laying we have decided to start old faithful up again.

She is a 700 egg,manual turn, Smart Incubator :-D Was using a lil 60 egg hoverbator but it just filled up too quick lol :lol:

She is in the brooder room of our big shed about 100 metres away from the house

Cheers

Darren

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:45 am 

we got a little 40 egg one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:27 am 

WOW :!:

This is all confusing. I don't have an incubator as yet and have never used one, :cry:

I would like to get one but only a small one no more than 20 eggs to begin with. I figured that was enough eggs to totally destroy at any one time during my learning process.

Where should I start :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:41 am 

County Lodge wrote:
WOW :!:

This is all confusing. I don't have an incubator as yet and have never used one, :cry:

I would like to get one but only a small one no more than 20 eggs to begin with. I figured that was enough eggs to totally destroy at any one time during my learning process.

Where should I start :?: :?:

small incubators tend to be less reliable, and if you are planning on breeding many ,20 eggs is nothing----most people I know use the small one a year and are then buying bigger better ones(and setting more eggs)so would not waste my money----the small(not too small) foam type bators (42 to 60 eggs) seem to work quite well once you get the hang of them, are not overly expensive----like everything they have their limitations----would go fan forced and lazy me , auto turn for me is a must
they are best in the house as the ambient temperature then does not fluctuate too much, cheers p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:10 pm 

hi countylodge

bellsouth have small incubator the r-com heres a link to it
http://www.bellsouth.com.au/webframe.html

thats ideal for some one wanting a bit of fun it only hold 3 eggs but is auto turn,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:57 pm 

I use a Multiquip E2 auto, electronic (No.1 incubator) with mercury thermometer (just to be sure) and a min-max thermometer inside (I'm not really paranoid). I love it! I spent $2,000 on it a few years ago (expensive hobby), and always have the best success with it. I keep it in a garage or shed whichever is the better option depending on where we are (have moved a lot in last few years). At the moment I have it down stars in a room (cement area) where we store our excess "stuff", and so the temperature is quite stable. the only problem with it is the fact that I cannot see all that is going on inside at hatch time. Sooooo, (as some of you may be aware) My husband made an incubator (No. 2 incubator) a couple of years ago and we take it to nursing homes and schools for people to watch the "babies" hatching. Weeeellll at hatch time I put my eggs in it so that I can watch my eggs hatch because of too much curiosity. if I don't I inevidably open the incubator too much and is the detriment to chickies that are hatching at the time. this No. 2 inc. that hubby made is so good that the temperature remains even more stable than the stable multiquip. (Sorry shall shut up now but very obsessed with my hobby).