AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:19 am 

love your incubator :-D looks great, you must be quite the handyman. I would know were to start.

Jeff chicken.gif

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:03 pm 

Jeff Trescott wrote:
love your incubator :-D looks great

When I read this I wondered where you saw the incubator, as my post about how I built it step by step had the pictures removed by admin (as I hadn't read the sticky about NO images allowed. :oops: ) so I deleted the whole post. Without the pictures it was practically useless.

I may have posted the image links elsewhere or you may have found them yourself by viewing the directory they're in.

Others will find pictures of the incubator at http://www.greenaus.com/chooks/incubator_inside.jpg and http://www.greenaus.com/chooks/incubator_outside.jpg

View other chook images at http://www.greenaus.com/chooks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:05 pm 
­
­

Hi Greenaus, This may have been because we have only just allowed a broader spectrum of Photos in Chat Topics. Would it be possible for you to start a new topic with your step by step including Photos? Sure Members would find it very interesting & helpful.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks
P.A :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:19 pm 

That was a week or so ago and I don't actually know who deleted the photos.

At the time, I was spitting chips as I had taken quite some time to provide details of what each bit was. Since the post listed what each bit was, but there were no pictures anymore, I deleted the post.

A calmer person with better self-control would have just edited the post to direct people to the images, but not me. :oops:

Even I'm annoyed at myself, because now I have to re-write it again anyway.

So...

Where is an appropriate place to post pictures and a how-to?

I think I should create a web page with pictures and stuff and direct people there instead. Then, I could direct people from that page back to APF to discuss it.

Genius! Non-APF visitors will then learn about APF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:19 pm 
­
­

greenaus wrote:
So...

Where is an appropriate place to post pictures and a how-to?

I think I should create a web page with pictures and stuff and direct people there instead. Then, I could direct people from that page back to APF to discuss it.

Genius! Non-APF visitors will then learn about APF.

Hi Greenaus, You can start a Topic in this Forum "Incubation & Chick Rearing" and place the Photos within your Post. As you have posted Photos already we assume you have remote Photo hosting (Photobucket or similar?) If you need any help please just ask.

Thanks
P.A :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Update on greenaus' home-made incubator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:58 am 

Here we are at day 20 already.

When I got up this morning, one chickens* had already pipped.

* At what age/stage do they go from embryo -> peep -> chicken ??

Last night I candled the due-to-hatch eggs and this was one of three in which I could see the beak was in the air sac.

Currently messing around trying to get the humidity up. It was around 50% earlier today. I added a couple of small tubs with sponges in them (should have used warm water instead of cold...duh!) and not much happened. Took the ends of a biro and took the ink out and stabbed a couple of holes in the lid above the tubs/sponges. Used the pen (think "drinking straw") to drip water onto sponge and around a little as it splashed.

Humidity got up around 62%.

Aha..I know what will produce humidity. Steam. I'll take the eggs out and put them in the steamer on the stove. :idea:

No! Just kidding. But, almost as silly though.

I boiled some water and put some in a cup and put that in the incubator.
[Edit: To clarify, I sat the cup with boiling water in it in the bottom of the incubator. I didn't empty to cup into the incubator. :) ]

That was 15 minutes ago.

The humidity went up...and up...75%...80%...85%...HH (I think that means High, High and not that the moisture killed the top and bottom LCDs on the 8's)

Well...that seemed alright, but after the thermostat shut the lights off at 39.3 degrees (at or above 39.0), the temperature continued to rise to 40.2 and sat there for several minutes.

That's air temp, not shell temp and the viewing window is beginning to clear. I don't think the brief humidity and temp spikes would have done any harm.

The thermometer sitting amongst the eggs topped out at 38.5, so no worries....right?

Last edited by greenaus on Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: humidity
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:07 pm 

As it was such a short time it should be ok, but be very careful. Use warm water not boiling. Another way of getting humidity up is spraying with warm water. Be careful not to drown any pipping chicks. Don't put it in beaks, but a bit of spray amongst the eggs has never hurt mine.

Post subject: How long does hatching take?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:06 pm 

Once the eggs has pipped, how long is it usually until the chicken STARTS to "break and rotate"?

My chicken is sticking it's beak out of the same hole, without doing any rotating to break around the egg yet. It's been progressively doing this for at least 7 hours. It started as just a little outward dent (sometime before 8am), now it has a 5mm hole (3pm).

By no means an easy view, but see it at...
http://www.greenaus.com/chooks/pipped.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:12 pm 

dont know if it will help, but can take up to 30 hours to break out.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:31 pm 

Thanks. It does help.

Saves me getting impatient. I intend to avoid falling into the trap of "helping". If they die, they die, but not because of me.

BTW: Humidity is now sitting at about 75%. But, I will be turning the Day 5 eggs in an hour and humidity will drop.

I might get a couple more sponges ready.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next