AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: GreenAus' Home-made Incubator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:11 am 

youridreezen wrote:
i get a 1.5-2.5C difference in between heating and cooling, also i found i had to set it at 38C.
That's the setting I used, too. (38).

It would deny power (turn out the light bulbs creating the heat) when the temp reached or exceeded 39 and would provide power again (turn on the light bulbs creating the heat) when the temp dropped to 37 or below.

The temp skipped 39.0-39.2 and would read 39.3 when the lights went out. The temp skipped 37.0 on the way back down, going straight to 36.6 as I recall. (Don't quote me on these figures exactly). A range from 36.6-39.3....a variation of over 1.5 degrees.

I re-read the instructions in 2009 and discovered I could have a 1 degree activate/deactivate range (thus the figures above). I'm pretty sure it was the 2 degree default in 2008.

Hatchings in October-November 2008 (Spring) were better than the hatchings in the Winter and Early-Spring of 2009.

I was going to get rid of the Kevatron, but with some pretty nice chickens approaching maturity, I'm sure I'll be setting some eggs from them in a few months time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:27 pm 

is there a way to make a small one for about a dozen eggs or less as that is the only size incubator i need.

8)owner of i cant remember how many chooks8)

Wish list:
Belgian D'Uccle
Dutch Booted Sabelpoot Bantam and the Antwerp Bearded Bantam,

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:26 am 

Start at the beginning of this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1977

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:13 pm 

Hi Charles. Howzit goin'.

Well we had prob (5-6 degree temp variation) with our thermostat on our home made "cupboard" incubator, and have put off buying a new one until today. Yay. Problem is, the previous one was a plug'n'go job, the new one is a wafer capsule and micro switch - hmmmm - totally lost here. Have a friend who has made their own with the same set up. Any ideas? Or should I just ask them.

We have 2 small holes at one end to push the thermostat sensor through into the incubator space, the other to push the thermometer sensor through, that's on the far side of the incubator. The other side has the light/moisture/fan, which pushes the heated air through the incubator space. Here's the link to piccy's. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5281&start=20

OK questions . . .

1. Does the actual wafer need to go into the incubator space, or outside.
2. What does the micro-switch do?
3. Does the microswitch detect the temp. and switch of/on accordingly?
4. How do we join the wafer capsule and the microswitch together? There are three button thingys on the microswitch.

Eeek, I'm confused. Oh also the guy at Kewpie (where I got the thermostat from) recommended keeping the wafer in the fridge to stop the thermostat wearing out when it wasn't in use, a more steady temperature I'm guessing.

Have been pretty busy with life and haven't had a lot of left over time for chickens - except for collecting eggs of course. th_clap.gif

Cheers for now and hope you are well.

Ann

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:41 pm 

very clever do you make and sell them or just personal use? I love the idea of all things home made so this would be a big project for me but may need help.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:10 pm 

Great aussie thinking greenus well done

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:32 am 

Love the idea of home made but worry if I made one it would break down half way through

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:20 pm 

Any plans for a home made solar powered incubator and brooder by chance please

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:43 pm 

Awesome home made incubator woohoo4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:14 pm 

That bators a blast than657 for showing it

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next