AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:56 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: incubator
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:23 am 

It all sounds interesting as usual. Mmm ... that low temp egg is a bit of a worry. I think you're on the right track to think about air flow. Insulation is less of a factor when the heat and the fan is working well. Some incubators are fairly poorly insulated and still work very well.

Congrats on that 100% hatch - awesome result.

PS Never offended - just tossing in a few ideas - writing as I think really. I find it useful to solve problems that way, hopefully others do to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:05 am 

I took all the eggs out to candle early this morning, but before putting them back in I made three changes.

1. Lined the sides with folded newspaper.

2. Turned the upturned old rack (that the wire rack is sitting on) so that air flow is less restricted underneath.

3. Cut the power to one fan. Only one fan running now.

Result after being left alone for 8 hours: 37.7 (I'm not lying), but 86% humidity. :shock:

I took the third water tub out yesterday, so with only two tubs in there I'm a little surprised, but not concerned. Humidity is easy to manage.

10/04 update: Last night I grabbed one of the eggs out that I had marked the night before as not developing and jammed a thermometer into it. It was 37.4 degrees. Humidity is hovering around 62%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:42 pm 

Two chicks due to hatch on Sunday, did.

Candled all remaining eggs early Wednesday. Threw away 16.

23 good ones returned to incubator. Very pleased.

1 due Friday, 1 due Saturday, 21 due Monday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:04 am 

greenaus wrote:
First...
greenaus wrote:
Eight eggs under broody bantam #2 are now 5 eggs.
Reminder: They'd come from the incubator. She hatched these in the mower catcher down in an outbuilding.

All five of those eggs hatched last Tuesday. 100%

They are now two weeks old.

Take note of the colouring of the little OEG**. Quite brown. The OEG that hatched in the incubator last Sunday came from the same little OEG, but is quite white.

I asked in another thread if perhaps since one had dad's colouring and one had mum's, I had one of each sex.

** I refer to them as OEG, but the exact breed and any Xs is unconfirmed. The mother looks a lot like an OEG, but with perhaps a couple of differences due to a X or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:47 pm 

=== Reasonable success with incubator renovations ===

Despite some early concerns with the temperature while incubating the eggs from Nanango, around half are now hatched or pipped.

Other than one of mine which has pipped at the wrong end and not hatched yet, four of my own five set during the period hatched fine.

I haven't helped any chicks out yet, nor do I expect to. But, I will head off to bed soon just to be sure.

A little less than half the eggs from Nanango were tossed a few days ago, mostly as they hadn't developed, but 3 or 4 were yuk. This may have been due to the temp concerns or maybe due to travelling or some other issue. The same eggs hatching at Nanango seem to be hatching at 100% success.

Post subject: great
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:30 am 

Sounds like you're doing great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:36 pm 

15 of the 21 hatched out of the 23 mentioned on Wednesday, 16 April.
http://www.greenaus.com/chooks/goodhatch.jpg

Threw one away this morning as it hadn't pipped so I opened it. DIS.

Only one left to hatch. Could be the runt of the litter. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:55 pm 

Nicely done.
I prefer a water source with more surface area, but hey, whatever works for you.
You may also wish to employ the water weasel technique to monitor temp.
This link will explain it as well as I can:

http://shilala.homestead.com/weasel.html

If the water squeezy toy isnt available there in Oz, you can make one from a plastic bag partly filled with water. Hold it together with a few rubber bands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:16 am 

Thanks. I had read about the weasel and considered what I could use instead.

I figured even an actual egg (non-fertile) would work well. Subject to good hygiene and changing eggs mid-way if necessary, I reckon it would work well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:38 pm 

I took the incubator to chadandloris on Saturday and there were two due to hatch today, two on Sunday, eight next Sunday and then a dozen eggs which they probably put in Sunday morning (due the Sunday after the two Sundays above).

I got a message from them this afternoon that one of the ones due today had hatched already.

It makes me feel good to know that my effort has paid off and the chick survived the journey. I can see no reason why the others won't be just as healthy.

I wish Chad and Lori well with the upcoming hatches.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next