AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: what price
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:22 pm 

If I decide this year to sell some fertile buff orpington eggs I was wondering what price I should be asking for them not including the costs to post them

Thank you

Win

Post subject: Re: what price
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:44 pm 

Oooo Buff Orpintons!

I was just googling them last night as they're on my wish list!

Where are you Winny?

I Saw someone on the net was advertising them for $50/doz which included postage so thats roughly $4 each. Why don't you try $3each but also research cost of postage around Australia & decide which way to go from there?

Cheers
Chicka-Dee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:00 pm 

Thanks Chicka Dee I will do more research but yes the $50 a dozen sounds ok but plus postage I think or may not be worth it for me I am a long way out of Brisbane or a major town :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:56 pm 

Considering they sell for $50 plus dollars at point of lay I would ask $10 an egg inc postage I don't think you will have trouble selling them

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:39 pm 

Very few people are going to pay $10 an egg.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:07 pm 

Marans' eggs higher up on their colour scale can cost up to $10 each.

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:21 pm 

wickedwings wrote:
Very few people are going to pay $10 an egg.

NO-ONE is going to pay $10 for an egg. When you pay $50 for a POL all the hard work has been done! But I suppose there is a sucker born every minute! Lol.

Youre not having to spend one fifth of the price of a POL to gamble if the egg hasn't been compromised during postage AND that it will hatch AND that it will turn out to be a Rooster. And, most people will buy several eggs because they know there is a pretty good chance of getting at least 50% boys.

Just look at PP's success rate for bad odds! hide: Sorry to use you as an example PP th_Noooo.gif

LOCKTHEGATE wrote:
Considering they sell for $50 plus dollars at point of lay I would ask $10 an egg inc postage I don't think you will have trouble selling them

You can ask all the $'s in the world but picking a price point is one of the largest marketing dilemmas that companies pay huge $'s in R&D to get right.

Listen to your peers Winny, but obviously the decision will be yours in the end. What you have to ask is...do you want to sell them at a reasonable rate that will guarantee sales everytime you have stock available or do you want to go for a higher price bracket that will reduce the demand.

Remember your product has to be superior for the higher price bracket as quality will sell for more, but if you don't have a quality product then your consumer will not be happy if they are paying a premium price for a standard product.

Marketing, Finance & Economics are what I studied at uni, so I do understand your dilemma. That said...I'm in Brissy so when I'm ready to get some more eggs to put under a broody, I'll know who to go to! :-D , so there's one potential customer, if your prices are right! :lol:

Cheers
Chica-Dee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:01 pm 

Chicka-Dee wrote:
Just look at PP's success rate for bad odds! hide: Sorry to use you as an example PP th_Noooo.gif Cheers
Chica-Dee

I am not very sure what point you are trying to make Chicka-Dee, please clarify exactly what you are saying :( don't forget that 3 out of the 4 eggs that you hatched were cockerels from purchased fertile eggs; 6 out 7 of my fertile eggs that were cockerels, one pullet. Two of Boss Chookies didn't hatch, The Pretty One lost one late hatch and only one didn't hatch at all. All these eggs were not purchased they came the natural way with my rooster servicing his girls and them building a clutch and sitting.

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:21 pm 

My point is PP, is that you can buy a whole chook for $50 that is at POL and know you habe a female, or, you can take a gamble and pay for eggs that old cost you $120 (at $10 each x 1doz) and still only get one hen! Or even none, for that matter!

Which way works out cheaper (excuse the pun) to get a female!

Just because you didn't purchase yours doesn't mean the odds werent stacked in your favour to get a few more girls.

After all isn't that why most people try & hatch their own, so they can try & get more girls for less dollars?

I wasn't having a go at you. If that is what you're implying with the sad face after asking me to clarify. I thought I was making a pretty clear point within the paragraph prior to using you as an example, but you're right. My circumstance was just the same. Next time I will leave you out of it.

That's my point.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:42 pm 

Chicka-Dee wrote:
My point is PP, is that you can buy a whole chook for $50 that is at POL and know you habe a female, or, you can take a gamble and pay for eggs that old cost you $120 (at $10 each x 1doz) and still only get one hen! Or even none, for that matter!

Which way works out cheaper (excuse the pun) to get a female!

Just because you didn't purchase yours doesn't mean the odds werent stacked in your favour to get a few more girls.

After all isn't that why most people try & hatch their own, so they can try & get more girls for less dollars?

I wasn't having a go at you. If that is what you're implying with the sad face after asking me to clarify. I thought I was making a pretty clear point within the paragraph prior to using you as an example, but you're right. My circumstance was just the same. Next time I will leave you out of it.

That's my point.

I'm not have a go at you, but if you really wanted more pullets why didn't you buy more? I think you wanted Clara the opportunity of motherhood. I wanted my girls to do the same experience what came naturally to them.

If I wanted more pullets or hens I could have gone out and bought them, I had a rooster and two hens, the girls went broody, they sat on their clutch and 6 little cockerels hatched from both mums, they've all gone to good homes...That's how things happen naturally...That's how things happen...

They mate, they go broody, they sit, they hatch if you're lucky, you get what you get end of story. No guarantees in life...It's the amazing experience that we humans witness in the cycle of life with hatching your own chicks with either a broody or incubator.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next