AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Ness and her babes!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:43 pm 

Wow Wee. What an amazing, eventful and down right beautiful journey! I hope I made the right decision in allowing Ness the chance to do what she wanted to do, and I hope Ness enjoys the journey to date and the weeks to come! She may not have to breastfeed, but I sure wasn't woken every 10-20 seconds by a little critter cheeping, popping it's head out, running under the wing from one end to the other or swinging off various fleshy parts of my head nor pecking at my eyes - Plural! :lol:

Congratulations Ness, on your 3 little yellow chicks and 1 beautiful black chick (still awaiting some action on your white egg'ed sibling...?)

Introducing The Acacia Crew:

Attachment:
File comment: Chick 1 "Mumma?"
P6221326.JPG
P6221326.JPG [ 58.82 KiB | Viewed 3461 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: I can see 3 chicks...but where's Mumma?
P6221333.JPG
P6221333.JPG [ 65.08 KiB | Viewed 3451 times ]

Maybe share some more over the weekend (of the hundred or so taken today [smilie=a_sheepishgrin.gif])
Sincere thanks for all the support APFers [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif] Bet we'll be needing more as we move through the weeks!

Not sure about Ness, but I'm knackered [smilie=sleep.gif] Aww, just one more check :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ness and her babes!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:49 pm 

They are beautiful congt334

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:52 pm 

Awwwwww! congt334

Adorable. Looking forward to more pics.

1 Tibetan Mastiff (Odin), 1 Rottweiler (RIP Sam 18-10-99 to 27-5-11), 2 Moggies (Pepper & Max), 24 chooks (Barred Plymouth Rocks x 3,Light Sussex x 1, Barnevelder x 3, Australorps x 3, Araucana x 7, ISA Brown x 6)
Barry the leghorn on permanent loan
Four Swedish Blue ducklings.
....... and always looking for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:00 pm 

Gorgeous congt334

Keep the photos coming!

PS
Don't keep the unhatched eggs for more than a couple of days under mum, but please check the time frame as I am not 100% about late hatches.

"There comes a time in your life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all life is too short to be anything but happy."
Karl Marx, Composer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:06 pm 

Thanks PP and johs.

Beautiful, adorable and soooo funny! Having only raised chicks without a Mumma before, I'm really enjoying the extra dimension that Ness is adding. Just as nature intended...well as much as nature can intend, given Ness has never actually met a rooster! :oops:

Thanks too HH! Such a thrill for me and my wingless ones! Although I've removed 4 eggs from he nest, she is still on 3 eggs, 2 unfertilised and the last of the fertilised, which is the last of the black australorps :( Having kinda mixed feelings about this so far, but it is good to know a time frame for this. I thank you very much for that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:34 pm 

It's good that you don't need a rooster for your girls so to speak to get fertile eggs for a broody, and broodies get the opportunity to sit and become mothers without a rooster present. Some roosters never have enough girls and the poor girls get bald patches on their backs and get just plain old worn out from his amorous intentions.

Boss Chookie sat on her last unhatched egg for a week here is the thread
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14921

With The Pretty One, Wheezy was a late hatch and the runt of the clutch, though looking at him now would would never have known, and the last late hatch made it out and I don't want to spoil your euphoria.

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:03 pm 

Yes. I'm glad to have been able to give Ness the chance to do this. Although, after just having a quick 'good night' look, she looks buggered! Having said that, she is now keeping her eyes closed and appears to sleep through the ups and downs of her beautiful and tired body, as those pesky chicks go running amok! And at this time of night :lol: :lol:

Maybe she IS better off without a rooster [smilie=a_holycrap.gif]

Thank you for sharing that thread and for your experiences with The Pretty One. Euphoria is an wonderous emotion (where is the emoticon for that??) and I'll happily float along for tonight and hope for the best in the morning. The first chick really only hatched about 20-21 hrs ago......hmmm, yes, will wait til sun up and hopefully get some more feedback then.

[smilie=sleep.gif]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:16 pm 

Sweet dreams of baby chicks Cass [smilie=a_dreaming.gif] hope there's another little feather ball chirping in the morning!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:09 am 

woohoo4 woohoo4 woohoo4

Haaaaaaa the crowd goes wild! That is Awsome.

Congrats Cass & Ness on a truly wonderful journey, and including us in on it. Thank you than657

Can't wait to see how they progress.

That first photo (mumma?) is truly beautiful.

Cheers
Chicka-Dee wave.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:10 am 

Thanks Chicka-Dee. Very eggsciting hey?!! Ahhh babies, aren't they the most incredible time wasters??!!!

Well, nothing yet from our final fertilised egg, though when I only just now removed the 2nd last of the unfertile eggs, in a very covert manner, it seemed like she was looking for it. She kept putting her head back under moving the last two eggs around, making that real 'clucky' type noise, then she'd look again and all the chicks came out for a bit and she'd bury her head under herself again and again :( Can chickens count :?: :?:

What thoughts about maybe leave it til later tonight? Is that too early or too late? Could I candle that last egg tonight? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Profile E-mail