AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: POSTING EGGS WITH GOOD HATCHABILITY
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:35 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Main Ingredients –
12 or 24 eggs [fertile of course] and preferably no more than 4 days old and definitely no more than 7 days old - having been gently turned 4-5 times daily prior to packing

Packing Ingredients –
1 X OZ Post ‘BM’ size carton [if sending chook – next size up for goose eggs] for both Surface Mail and Express Post. Note that the BM size holds 15-18 turkey eggs
1 X 5kg Ex Post satchel – for Express Post of BM size carton – the next size up does not fit easily into a 5kg Ex Post satchel
1 X roll alfoil
4 X still joined paper towel squares [dampened and rung out lightly] – this helps with humidity and has been proven to make a marked difference in viability
1 X plastic shopping bag [contributing to the recycling programme here] this is to keep the Oz Post parcel dry
1 X previously read through News Paper [also contributing to the recycling programme]
1 X roll packing tape
1 X pen for addressing

To be noted –
the ‘BM’ post carton will hold either 1 or 2 egg cartons very well, when holding chook eggs, and is an essential ingredient to both forms of posting
The BM size carton fits well into the 5kg Express Post satchel and 2 doz lrg chook eggs with wrapping comes in at about 2½ to 3kg – the next size up carton will cost a bit more to send Ex Post
for Express Post address the satchel only if the carton used fits comfortably in it – otherwise address the carton as per Surface Mail
for Surface Mail – address the Oz Post carton –
# you need to include the cost of travelling to and from town if you live a fair distance out and have to make a special trip to post eggs – some have stated that the eggs sent cost them more than was paid to purchase and send them as they had not put the cost of petrol into the equation = add $10-15 extra if needed

Preparation of eggs –
Chooks - wrap each egg individually with 2-3 tissues [lrg eggs] or 3-4 tissues [bantam eggs] to ensure they won’t move when placed in the carton receptacles – place them pointy end downwards into the receptacles – this has been found to be more beneficial to the yolk not sticking - fill the empty spaces with shredded tissue if necessary – DON’T over pack with tissue – just enough to hold the eggs firmly
When packed - close the lid carefully but firmly and tape it shut by wrapping 2 lots of tape around the carton partially in from each end.
Geese and Turkeys – wrap as for the chooks – form a square using 2 cartons trimming down the ‘bumps’ in the carton if/as needed and firmly tape in 3 places
Wrap each egg carton with alfoil leaving the ends uncovered – tape lightly in place if necessary

Wrap the dampened still joined paper towel squares around the alfoil – this helps to maintain moisture levels [so essential when being transported] this creates each cartons own micro climate

Wrap all this inside the plastic shopping bag then tape it shut – remembering you are contributing to re-cycling here
This method of wrapping is also good to use when transporting in your own car – that way you can still use your air-conditioning without effecting the eggs

To prepare the Oz Post carton –
Tape the inside back folds of the carton to hold them in place while packing
‘Scrunch’ pages of news print and place enough on the bottom to ensure the egg carton/s is/are cushioned
Place a single egg carton centrally – 2 cartons holding chook eggs will fit side by side in a ‘BM’ size but they do still require paper to keep them still
Position goose and turkey eggs appropriately for their carton
Position more ‘scrunched’ news print around and on top of the carton/s to ensure no movement – adjusting amounts as needed being very careful not to over pack on top of the eggs as you may accidentally break some when closing and taping the carton

Close the OZ Post carton
For Surface Mail or a larger carton that does not fit in the 5kg satchel = address the carton
If using a 5kg satchel = address satchel only
Tape across the central points all the way around the Oz Post carton - like a cross – leaving room for a postage sticker to be attached as required. There is no need to address the carton if Ex Post is in the 5kg Satchel, only address the satchel
Make sure you sign the declaration on the carton or the satchel

# NEVER EVER PUT ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE NAME AND ADDRESS OF THE PERSON THE PARCEL IS GOING TO ON THE FRONT - AND ON THE BACK = YR NAME AND ADDRESS [AND A CONTACT PHONE NUMBER- Oz Post prefer mobile numbers]

NEVER PUT - - -

THIS WAY UP or FRAGILE or HANDLE WITH CARE or FERTILE EGGS – ESPECIALLY NOT THIS ONE

Unless of course you want those OZ Post workers to SHAKE the carton to see if they can HEAR the chicks inside – OR play football with the box [just for fun] – or outright stomp on the box just to be mean – I know someone that DID get a box arrive with “FERTILE EGGS HANDLE WITH CARE” plastered all over it and the carton obviously smashed around with a large foot print on it and every single egg smashed –
So on that note I say clearly – If you are stupid enough to put any of those ‘messages of DOOM’ on the carton you get everything you deserve – which is = purchasers on your back coz you were foolish.

These days the use of Express Post between states has improved, and when flown, parcels are in pressurized holds now so Ex Post is a viable and fast alternative to Surface Mail

If Express Posting - there is no need to address the carton if using the 5kg satchel - place the carton in the satchel making certain the carton will be the right way up when sealed - and seal - the tape is exceptionally strong and will hold. Address the carton if no satchel is used for Ex post

Always post on a Monday to ensure the eggs arrive Wednesday through Friday of the same week = depending on where they are going and method used – if sending right across the Country use ONLY EX Post as it can take 10-14 days via Surface Mail

Egg preparation upon arrival at destination –
Carefully un-wrap each egg and stand them pointed end down in the carton they arrived in keeping them in a cool dark place [ a cupboard, NOT the fridge] for 24-36hrs before setting them either under a broody or in an incubator

As a Courtesy –
Advise the breeder the parcel arrived. Then once hatched advise of the number of chicks = many don’t do this, also some don’t answer emails or phone calls asking about the hatch. So as a courtesy let the breed know

** Check List = tick off as completed **
Main Ingredients < > - Packing Ingredients < > – To be noted < > – Preparation of eggs < > – To prepare OZ Post carton < > – Egg preparation upon arrival at destination < > – As a Courtesy < >

So I hope that my bossy advice regards posting eggs might help someone to get a better hatch rate on eggs either sent by or sent to them
Cheers
Sue

Edited as I used to not recommend Express Post as this can involve flying depending on where the parcel is going to. The cargo holds rarely used to be pressurized or temperature controlled and the temps could get down to well below freezing equalling dead eggs. But all cargo holds are now pressurised and temperature controlled [as a result of a number of deaths after people have tried to hide in the holds to illegally gain entry to another country, in one case it was a teenager!]
Also, most Express post trucks drive through the night [obviously] as well as during the day
I have found that by packing as per above instructions to create a micro climate for each carton of eggs that Express Post is a viable alternative. I now recommend it and exclusively use it OZ wide.

Last edited by oozcorpse on Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: posting
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:46 am 

They are great tips - especially the one about the damp towel - hadn't thought of that.

One thing that I've found useful when posting is always post on Monday to avoid having your parcel sitting around somewhere over the weekend while the eggs get older.

Some have posted to me on Wednesday thinking it would get there before the weekend but it never has. I've received after the weekend and had lower hatch rates.

Also, never post eggs around holidays like Christmas and Easter when the post is backed up. It's too risky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:25 am 

thanks for that, im sure it'll come in handy one day :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:30 am 

I'm planning on sending eggs next season so am trying to find all the info i can in reguards to sending eggs. So thanks heapz! :-D

One question though, when you send eggs by normal post(not express), will the eggs always get to their destination before the weekend if sent on a Monday? Only reason i ask is because in the past i have recieved eggs via express from Victoria that were sent on the Monday but haven't arrived until the Friday.

Cheers mate

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: posting
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:39 am 

The answer to that is no they don't always arrive before the weekend, even if you send express. Express Post is supposed to arrive much sooner than that, but it depends on your location. When posting express you can check on the AP website and find out if the departure and arrival postcodes fall within the service. If they don't, they don't guarantee their advertised time frame.

Usually regular post should make it anywhere in Australia within five days, and I've found that it always does, except Christmas and Easter.
I've found that when using AP you need to maximise your chances of a successful outcome, but there's no guarantees.

Post subject: Re: posting
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:45 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Eggsalive wrote:
The answer to that is no they don't always arrive before the weekend, even if you send express. Express Post is supposed to arrive much sooner than that, but it depends on your location. When posting express you can check on the AP website and find out if the departure and arrival postcodes fall within the service. If they don't, they don't guarantee their advertised time frame.

Usually regular post should make it anywhere in Australia within five days, and I've found that it always does, except Christmas and Easter.
I've found that when using AP you need to maximise your chances of a successful outcome, but there's no guarantees.

said so well that all I will add is - thanks for replying on that one eggsalive - I was only thinking of how to pack them - but I have edited adding send at the beggining of the week.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:46 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Hi ooz you gave my secrets away on packing eggs with a cloth and foil. I will forgive you this time Haha. Also forgot to mention. It take about 2 weeks to get things from my end of the country to Perth and those areas. It is not worth the hassle to you or the person buying your eggs as they wont be viable by the time they get there. Also remember they will be inspected when they go through the fruit fly zones so don't use wheat or popcorn for packing as some people do that I have gotten eggs from.They never repack the eggs and they end up scrambled.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:56 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Some one had to post HOW to post eggs :-D - thanks for the forgiveness :-D
Glad I posted this one - coz now all know abt the Fruit Fly Zones - see by pplz adding to this we will all know the best things to do

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: POSTING EGGS WITH GOOD HATCHABILITY
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:12 pm 

Now that is good orsum info, I haven't posted eggs or received them but thanks to you I'm in the loop now.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: POSTING EGGS WITH GOOD HATCHABILITY
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:44 am 

good read there, I have recieved three cartons of posted eggs so far all so differently packaged.

The last lot I recieved were packaged in bubble wrap, in wadding in a plastic container wrapped in tape with wadding around it in a post pack with wadding around it.

I sincerely doubt any were jiggled in the slightest.

Another thing to note is that in certain areas PO's dont open all day, ours only opens 2hrs each day. This can mean that eggs posted can sit in the PO for extra days, or even over the weekend worst case scenario.

I will let you all know the success of the latest lot of eggs though I feel it will be a good result.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next