AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: POSTING EGGS WITH GOOD HATCHABILITY
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:31 am 

Always request the seller post the eggs on a Monday or Tuesday so the eggs don't sit in a hot truck or PO over the weekend.

I also wrap my eggs individually with bubble wrap and place them in a bubble wrap lined egg carton (each compartment has wrap in it),than a double thickness of wrap over the top of the eggs than tape the carton closed and placed in a suitable sized box (I use paper ream boxes with the lids as they are a perfect size and the box is easily cut down a few inches for just 1 carton. I than pack around the carton/s with sugar cane mulch or shredded paper (use heaps) and the eggs don't budge and are cushioned really well.
Just tape your lid on securely and address. Only cracked eggs I have ever had were a few in the corner compartments that went from Sydney to Perth via road.

This way also the only part of the packaging that can't be recycled/composted is the tape and wrap (about 2% of the entire package).

Rabbit Breeds: Dwarf Lop, Californian, Netherland Dwarf, Polish, Rex, Dutch
http://www.kizma.webs.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:48 am 

I worry about eggs that are wrapped in plastic bubble wrap. Yes it is a great insulator against bumps and knocks but I feel the eggs don't breath and as eggs are living things I prefer a more natural surrounding for eggs in posting. But then I have to admit I have received eggs wrapped in bubble wrap and the hatch rate has been pretty good. I got the best hatch rate though from eggs packed in woodshavings 5 out of 6 hatched.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:29 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

County Lodge wrote:
I got the best hatch rate though from eggs packed in woodshavings 5 out of 6 hatched.

interesting you say this CL
I was sent eggs [Cochin] a few yrs ago encased in wood shavings - at the time I thought OMGOODNESS!!! all the dust will have blocked the pores of the eggs etc etc etc- imagining the worst but hoping the best I set them - of 3 dozen sent ALL but 4 hatched :shock: stunned is the best description

I received 2 dozen eggs from WA wrapped following the instuctions at the beginning of this replacing tissues for the paper towel - of the 2 doz one was cracked and 16 hatched but 2 did not survive the hatch and the remaining 5 developed to day 16ish and just died so really that was a 100% viable rate for such a long trip!!

I now use tissue in place of the paper towels as a result - but it still comes down to luck at the end of the day as the postal workers are not always gentle in their handling of the parcels
but everyone has to rememebr OZ Post can and does randomly open parcels to check for 'contraband' and they DO NOT repack them as they found them

glad you added this abt the wood shavings = every idea helps to get eggs sent as safely as possible
now all we need is OZ Post to actually come up with a container specifically for eggs AND a team of blokes that OWN chooks themselves so they handle the cartons carefully from point A to point B

I know - - - she's living in denial central again!!
but one CAN dream afer all :-D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:39 pm 

Have to also remember that sending shavings or mulch to some states is illegal. WA and Tas being 2 such states.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:11 am 

Thanks b&p I will remember that. I didn't know that wood shavings was banned.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:15 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

b&p wrote:
Have to also remember that sending shavings or mulch to some states is illegal. WA and Tas being 2 such states.

as CL said
thanks for letting us know abt that
will have to check which states you can send to using them

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:17 am 

I haven't had a problem sending shavings or mulch to WA but when I sent live birds to Tas they made them clean all the shavings and mulch out of the crate. WA does have quite strict laws when posting some things in.....I have never checked but have gotten away with it on the few occassions I have sent eggs over.

I don't know if Aust Post would simply return the package of what would happen to it if something was found that wasn't permitted. WA is also very strict on some seeds being sent in and most seed (garden type) from mail order companies simply will not or cannot supply to WA or Tas.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:04 pm 

When ever I post things to WA I have to sign a declaration but I have no idea what it says as I am never wearing my glasses at the time when Aust Post give it to me to sign :-? :-? :-?

Anything posted around Kalgoolie/Boulder is like sending stuff to Fort Knox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:06 pm 

My experience in posting eggs has put me off ever sending them again, simply because they got lost by good old aussie posts and turned up the buyer’s place 8 days after sending them with 3 broken :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:33 pm 

I know what you mean. Aust Post can be a bit rough on them as well. I have had eggs broken before with eggs from sellers and am sure aust post must drop kick them all the way. Although if I didn't persevere I would not have some of the lovely chooks I have today from the most amazing breeders. It is still one of the easiest and cheapest ways of getting breeds transported from far away places, especially rare breeds. I appreciate each and every breeder who is prepared to sell and post eggs as it is not easy with Aust post delivery times, handling, and then hatch rate at the end and dissappointment by the buyer.

Yes I have had bad esperiences with hatch rate, broken eggs etc. Would I buy eggs through the post again :?: Bet you bottom dollar I would :-D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next