AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Help With Incubating
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:49 pm 

Hi All,
We have our very first batch of duck eggs in the incubator, this coming Sunday (30/9) is 28 days, when I went to turn them this morning I noticed that 2 of them have started pipping already, my question is do I stop turning all of them now or keep turning the ones that haven't pipped until tomorrow which is 25 days???
Advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Help With Incubating
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:28 pm 

Hi

Did you set all the eggs on the same day?
Were any incubated by ducks before you put them in the bator?
Are they all the same breed of duck?
Is your bator manual turn?

Make sure you give the egg that is pipping a light spray with warm water to help the duckling out, otherwise the memebrane dries out and they get stuck.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:59 pm 

Hi thanks for the reply
They were all set on the same day
None had been incubated by the ducks before hand
Their is 3 different breeds in there, Aylesbury, Saxon and Pekin x Saxon.
Yes it's manual turn
How often should I spray the pipping egg.?
Thank you again

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:44 pm 

Hi

Generally ducks take 28 days to hatch, you don't turn after day 25. Now the problem might be when you counted from. Did you count the day you put the eggs into the incubator as day one? The day after you put the eggs into the incubator should be day 1 as the eggs re up to temperature and beginning to grow.

Have you filled all your water trays as instructed in your incubators manual? If you haven't now then you should. Spray lightly twice every day. Ducks can take a day to hatch from pipping, sometimes longer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:17 pm 

Hi again,
I put them in the incubator on Sunday 2/9 and counted 28 days which got me to 30/9.?? but I guess they wouldn't be starting if they weren't ready (I hope).
Also the instructions that came with the incubator weren't very good, I have had water in from day one, I hope this is okay, the humidity is sitting on about 73%.
Dose that sound okay??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:25 pm 

yes thats ok, you will need to fill the rest of the water trays for the remainer of the hatch. Have you candled the eggs to see if any more are growing?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:40 pm 

Yes, we candled at 10 days and then about 4 days ago of the 21 we put down 19 look good. 6 of them have pipped now so I guess their ready to go, hopefully their are a couple of fluffy ducklings in the morning.
Thank you again for your help. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:52 pm 

Egg hatching is never an exact science, glad to hear more are pipping for you, give them all a spray with the warm water twice a day don't drench them just mist them it helps with the humidity in the bator. You MUST post pics when you have babies waddling about.

Are you ready with the brooder?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:34 pm 

Yes I have had to drag myself away from just sitting there peering in at all different angles too watch them. I got the brooder ready today, just have to buy a spare heat light tomorrow (I have a habit of breaking them). We got week old Cayuga's 6 weeks ago which I'm glad of because now I know how messy they are.
I will definitely put pics up.!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:59 am 

There's a fair amount of cheeping coming from the incubator this morning but no ducklings yet.

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Who is on the Forum

Users browsing this forum: 10Geese, 70%cocoa, ABC Poultry, Adam Smith, Adeiela, Akeet, Alex Cooper, alexanderpeafowl, AlligatorCrkHeritageBreed, Alpine Poultry, Amature Chookz, andrewschooks, Appleton Australorps, arvoducks, Ash Maree, auctioneer, Avi Rare Breeds, Ayam Cemani, Backyard Chicken Chat, Backyard fowl, BaliDuckz, Bantam Rhode Island Red, Bantamenance, Barnywood, beakybird, bearfred, BeatenEgg, Beaudesert Mandarins, bemba, Ben Newton, benalla park, Bendigo Poultry, BigDucksOz, BigQuackers, birds101, Birds4u, birdsrock, Birdz4u, blackdotte, blackleghorn, BlackSwan, Blackswan1, Blue Australorps, bluefirelady, Bob Brookes, BokBok2, Boolaroo, Booths Bantams, Boxwood, Brad M, brerrabbit, Brian Jack, BriansPeas, broken bird, BROOKES POULTRY, BT Homestead, Buff Pekins, Buggsy, BushPig, ButtercupBreedGroup, BYC, byhookorchook, Cackles, caladenia, Caladenia Cottage, Calum H, Cammo Qld, CamsBantams, Carawatha Chickens, Cashmere, castaway chicken, cc's poultry, Charmhaven Chooks, Cheesman Chooks, Chicken Unity, chicken-boy, Chicken07, chickenlittle, Chickens Mad, Chickhorn, Chook Lady, chookasaurus, chookgirl, chookiebum, ChookieG, ChookMamma, ChookMum, Chooks Galore, Chooks R Us, chookslife, chookyinoz, Christine Shaw, Chukar, Cliff Wyandotte Bantams, CluckyDeb, coastalchookies, Colac Sussex, ColacWaterfowl, Collector Peafowl, Connor Peafowl, cookie, Cordelia, Country Bird, CountryChookz, Cowhide, CrackerChook, Crash, Daggy Guineas, Daniel Lawton, Danny, Danny Brown, darrssy, daviburn, Deb Thomas, debbilee, Denis, Desborough Birds, Dianne Carter, DillDale, Dodds Birds, DragonsDen, Dreaming Guineas, duckyfromoz, Duckz44, Eason Chooks, Eat Chooks, Ecovald, eggnog, EggSellent, eggy, eugenia, Fancychooklady, Farmer Benji, Feathers01, Flash, FlockPheasants, fluff fur & feathers, FluffyBum Silkies, FowlMan, Fraggle, Frances Brahmas, Fraser Island, FrogLeap, Furze Chooks, Gaggle of Geese, Gamebreeder, GavinGoose, geckodan, Ginny, girlfriday, Glen Fowler, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Golden Pond, Goodwin Ducks, Goran, Goulburn Heritage Poultry, grabby, GreenWest, Greg Davies, GUINEA FOWL, guinea fowl galore, Guinea owner, guineafowl, GuineaHomer, Haggis, hairycanary, HAPPYHENS, Hardfeather, Hawkes, heggie, Heidi F, Heijo, Helenchooks, Henny Penny, HillbillyGirlWA, Ian B, infoaddict, Isa Brown, Isachooks, Island Fowl, Ivan J, J Hicks, jaffa, Jane Stewart, Janelle Marshall, Jane's Chooks, jap jumbo quails, jarryd, Jeff Duncan, Jen71, Jersey Giant, Jimboomba Poultry, John Cole, John Pike, johnstoneparksussex, JonksGuineas, jose, Josh Welsummers, jr, JRA, Judith King, Judy Appleton, Julie Hart, Kalimna Heritage Poultry, kardella poultry, Karlisa, Katy, KAZZA64, KellyP, KEMPSEY NAKED NECKS, Ken Johnstone, kezabel, Khaki_Ducks, Kin Kin Silkies, Kingscote Chickens, klw, konopiste, KoopKing, kowie, KT, kyall3, LadyAmherst21, lanceview, Lawnton Poultry, Lesley Thomson, Leslie Cooper, Lilly, Linda P, Linz, Lozzy, LozzyR, LueT, luvmychook, madrex, MamasPyjamas, Mannie, Marek, Marengo Heritage Poultry, Margret Young, MaryJ, MaryJanet, Matt Knight, MattsGuineas, Mcginniss Fowl, meander, Melanie Y, MemoryLane, Milo, MinistryofDucks, Minorca&AndalusianStud, MinorcaCoop, mitchell07, MitchesMarans, Monique, Monto Poultry, MrPeabody, Mrpeewee, Ms Frankie, mummaroo, mycoola, Myflockoblues, mysticviews, NanangoGuineaBoy, NellyG, NEP, NepeanBirds, New England Watefowl, NightMare, Noel Cox, NSW King Quails, NZ Pekin Queen, Oaklands, Oldmanrooster, Olivia N, ONE TREE HILL, Ozchook, ozflock, ozguineafowl, ozibirds, O'Connor Sumatras, P_Edwards, Pam, Paul Clark, Peafowland, peamad, pearcey, PeepGuineafowl, Perth Pigeons, perthchooks, Peter Mead, Pheasant Man, Phil Thomas, PHILL, Pitts_Poultry, pj hatchery, Podgie, PossumCorner, Poulsen, Poultry, Poultry Hoarder, Poultry Matters, Poultry mum, Poultry Rare Breeds, poultrynut, PrestigePeafowl, Pretty boy, Priens Fowl, prorooster, Prouten, QuailFarmer, QuailQueenGC, QuailTales, Quailz, Quamby Chickens, Rainbow Chickens, Rawlinson, realimagery, redeyekeet, redjohanna, Reeves Family, Rhiannan H, Rhode Red, Rick Bobby, Ricky Bobby, RJJ Fowl, Rob Smith, Rod Taylor, Roger Parkin, rollyard, Roma Runners, Rose, Roundyard, ruff, rwood, Sandra Clarke, SantaClaws, Scots Grey Stud, seeing_spots, shairlyn, Sharni N, shayne, Shelly Roberts, silver duckwing game, Smallflock, snowball, South Aust Rouen Ducks, SouthernDucks, SouthSussex, Sparky, splash laced Wyandotte, springcreek, Stark Waterfowls, Stelan, Stephen Richards, Steve Davies, Stuart Turner, Sue Clarke, Sue Hall, Sue Sheppard, Sue Wards, sue55, Sumatra Stud AU, sunrise, Sussex19, swiftwood pheasants, SwineoSam, SydneyOEG, T.A.S.S™ [Bot], TANYA, TazBarnies, The Barnyard, The Browns, The Chook Man, The Good Life, The Gotfeather, TheChookBlock, Toolern Vale Fowl, Trany Naked Neck, Tribe of Honk, Tropic Poultry, Trott Park, Trout Runner, Turkey Man, Vella Layer Hens, Vicki Joy, Victorian Waterfowl, Violet Town, W Brown, warmblood, Webbs Orpingtons, WendyT, white modern game, Whittlesea Poultry, whittls, wildman, winglet, Wombatbird, Wonderful Silkies, Wongarra Poultry, Wood Duck, WotTheFlock, Yvette, Zanne and 5680270 guests