AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Buyers and sellers of posted eggs - question
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:25 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

HealTheWorld wrote:
I have not purchased any as yet but I will be soon

wave.gif Hi HealTheWorld and welcome2.gif = glad you are here = I notice this is your first post

Note that NO ONE should be posting eggs from now until abt next May AT THE EARLIEST = the heat of Summer will at the very least seriously deplete the viability of the eggs and most if not all roosters lose sperm count during the hotter months
However it is each persons individual choice to sell or buy during this time = just be aware of the problems due to the heat
gabby wrote:
I give buying eggs a miss only because you hear of so many complaints and dramas

Hi Gabby = agree many do complain – they need to be realistic and accept that not all eggs will hatch, and be aware that it is a trust thing = hence do the homework and be as sure as you can that you are dealing with a reputable breeder.

HealTheWorld wrote:
I would hope there is some guarantee on the eggs at least being fertile

Even with a rooster in a pen 24/7/365 not all eggs will be fertile as the rooster may not mate the hen one day out of 5, the best assurance is that there is a rooster in the pen
HealTheWorld wrote:
otherwise someone could send me supermarket eggs that are not stamped as many organics are not

Yeah some have done this - others accuse others :shock: :roll: th_Noooo.gif one assumes to damage reputatons?

most are honest tho - I wouldnt want the few 'bad eggs' out there to stop you getting eggs sent

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:10 pm 

I have a good experience with posted eggs and the lady that sent both lots gave a guarantee of 50% to hatch but I got about 65% so very happy. I agree there are more good honest people out there than dishonest so do not be put off by the minority

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 pm 

Having read an article on the Beebe Polands website, under The Science of Polands I'm of the view that posting or receiving eggs by post is not a great move. Of course it's a risk some buyers are prepared to take but no seller could guarantee the state of the delivered eggs.
Express post guarantees speedy delivery, and that's about it. A package passing through the system, even if marked 'fragile' is at the mercy of the handlers. There is no safe 'hand to hand' delivery system I know of, other than collection by the buyer. Sudden changes in temperature or being jolted or dropped can be disastrous. Fertile eggs sent 'as directed' by the purchaser can still result in an unsuccessful hatch.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:25 pm 

The postal system may even take delight in rough handling of "fragile" marked items especially at this time of year santa when they are under duress and your eggs may indeed arrive scrambled [chicken-crow !!!

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:33 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2086&start=0

read this thread ^it states clearly DO NOT put messages of DOOM on the parcel that has eggs in it
it may also help in regards how to send eggs via OZ Post

NOTE - it is illegal to send eggs thru the system as they are classed as a food substance = so you DO NOT MENTION EGGS (or fragile) ANYWHERE WHEN SENDING as to date OZ Post has been turning a blind eye to it. = DO NOT bring it to the forefront of their attention or you WILL be the most hated person in the OZ Poultry world when they start opening parcels and then throwing out all egg ones!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:07 pm 

I had no idea you could not sent eggs in the post wow I learnt something new today, has that always been the case

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:47 pm 

A food substance?

Could you give me a citation for the relevant legislation please? State or Commonwealth?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:07 am 

Do you have a state by state type quarantine in place there?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:06 am 

My experience has been all good so far I have received 3 lots of 2 dozen bantam eggs and apart from 2 eggs broken most hatch hatched and are now lovely full grown bantams. I think if you know the risks and the eggs are a fair price then go for it!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:58 pm 

If they are packaged well and the mail handlers do not know they are eggs or anything fragile they should give a reasonable hatching rate. I have sent eggs which hatched well, but I wrapped the eggs individually in tissues and padded the box with bubble wrap on the inside and was sure not to write fragile on the package.

I think mail handlers play football with anything marked fragile. I once had a box of brass bullet cases and reloading dies posted to me and the sender wrote fragile on the box. When it arrived it had been so bashed around it was nearly round and there were several large holes in the box from impacts with corners of some objects. Luckily the bullet cases and dies were not at all fragile, but if it was eggs they would have been all smashed.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next