AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: high number of deaths in incubator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:56 pm 

Hi, I've just hatched my very first chicks in an incubator.They came out today and I've got the following results. 5 healthy chicks. 4 hatched but died after hatching,3 eggs didn't hatch although 1 did pip.I am disappointed with the result but have no idea what I've done wrong.too hot ,too cold or something else ?? it seems those eggs closest to the heat source failed to hatch (indicating to me that they were perhaps cooked) most disturbing is the 4 that died after birth in the incubator.Does anyone have a clue what may be the issue ?? I should say the incubator is an old kero one modified with a couple of lights and a computer fan to move the air.the temp was kept around 38 to 39 the humidity was between 40 & 60 .they were turned 2wice daily.Any ideas ??

Post subject: Re: high number of deaths in incubator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:45 pm 

I'm running my first batch of eggs in an incubator at the moment, before starting, I did a lot of online reading on the topic, and ideal settings for my type of incubator, I have the jn8-48, I'm at 8 days into the incubation period, so still a couple of weeks before I will see if I've learnt anything from what I've read.

I'm using a 2nd thermometer/hygrometer to make sure temp and humidity is in the right range, and not just trusting the incubators temp/humidity readings.

From others that had successful hatch rates, they had temp at 37.8 degrees, and humidity at 55%.

If you had 39 degrees, that does sound a bit high, especially if the outside temperature has been hot also.

Hopefully other more experienced members will have more to offer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:43 pm 

Not too bad a result considering the time of year but a bit unusual that so many died after hatching, especially if they were unassisted. Temperature was a bit high and lower humidity often gives better results. An accurate digital thermometer would give an idea as to temperature variations over time and in different areas.
There are so many factors to consider that it becomes a something of a guessing game but my main emphasis is on good quality eggs from healthy hens fed a well balanced diet.
Were the eggs closest to the heat source shielded from direct radiant heat? In any event it would be best to change their positions in the incubator as often as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:26 pm 

Like doggo said nutrition is the most important first before blaming anything else especially the B vitamin group. Still air incubation is about 39 fan forced is 37.8 but I like to run it at 37.5 for error margin .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:02 am 

For the Dead In Shell ones, you would look at parent nutrition and the incubator settings.
However for the 4 that hatched successfully then died there could be some detail missing

Did they survive for long or did they die very soon after hatching?
Were they morbid from the start or did they hatch clean and strong then decline?
Your own eggs or bought?
Parents' past health issues?
Incubator when sanitised last?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:57 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

doggo wrote:
Not too bad a result considering the time of year
There are so many factors to consider
Were the eggs closest to the heat source shielded from direct radiant heat? In any event it would be best to change their positions in the incubator as often as possible.

I find that in some incubators the eggs closest to the radiant heat will develop then not hatch = upon opening the eggs I found they had dried too much to allow the hatch

I started moving the eggs around in my small machine to get a good hatch

also I dont recommend hatching anything in Summer - many do without any problems but I personally dont recommend it

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:48 pm 

soozorps wrote:
I find that in some incubators the eggs closest to the radiant heat will develop then not hatch = upon opening the eggs I found they had dried too much to allow the hatch

A little off the topic but I suspect that this effect may explain reports of chickens with bald patches. If the heating element happened to be on for a long spell rather than short bursts in late stage incubation and was not well shielded from the eggs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:02 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

^ Still within the confines of the topic as death in incubator or chicks with bald patches at hatch are both in the same realm and needs to be included so all factors can been assessed to work towards a good and simple solution

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:45 pm 

Redlander wrote:
For the Dead In Shell ones, you would look at parent nutrition and the incubator settings.
However for the 4 that hatched successfully then died there could be some detail missing

Did they survive for long or did they die very soon after hatching?
Were they morbid from the start or did they hatch clean and strong then decline?
Your own eggs or bought?
Parents' past health issues?
Incubator when sanitised last?

They survived less than 1 hour,They hatched clean and strong but were clearly weak.
They were our own eggs from our chooks
I have no idea about the parents history other than we bought them at 3 month chickens & raised them
The incubator is an old still air Kero style unused for over 50 years but no I didn't sanitise it before use.(what should I use)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:55 pm 

If you think about it, chicks making it to `term', hatching clean and strong, then dying soon afetr may be telling you something about conditions / air quality in the incubator. They will have pipped internally and been air-breathing for 2 days before external pipping. Are there any obvious smells/moulds? To sanitise the interior you could try quatenary amonia or a branded wash.

Profile E-mail