AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: How do you make a hen broody?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:12 am 

:-D :-D chicken4.gif chicken4.gif
soozorps wrote:
Spuddy wrote:
I found with an increase in rooster V hens the hens go clucky more often and longer

sidesplit.gif maybe they are faking it to get a break from the rooster laughter.gif

no = seriously = that is a good observation

they probably are. i had one hen go broody about 4 times(she would go broody at the wrong times [smilie=thumbdown2.gif] so couldn't get any babies for/from her) and she hated the rooster with a passion(she would fight him when he tried to fertilise her. eventually she went broody at the right time so its good.
oh soozorps i will (probably)be getting a silkie at this auction im going to(the silkies i have at the moment are too young-they are being raised by a mumma!) so i will have to wait for a while(Mega :cry: its about 2 weeks!how will i survive?!?!?!) but I will write on my progress with each day( a_partyguy.gif chicken4.gif ) and will post some pics when they hatch(if i can figure out how to do it on the computer-i hate technology(usually)!) unfortunatly( :?: ) I will be selling them as I'm breeding frizzles! Yay! I have to get 2 roosters cause we got 5 frizzles then we found out that we couldn't breed them together( [smilie=thumbdown2.gif] [smilie=thumbdown.gif] ) annoying th_Noooo.gif ) but at least i get more chickens! i love raising them up and i can finally put about 13 or 14 eggs underneath a hen(i call it a clutch i have never done one before because i would have too many chickens, well not really, in the area they have, i could put like 50 chickens!But mum says 20 or under [smilie=thumbdown2.gif] )oh, sorry going on and on and on and on and on............... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: oh well, least i got my points covered :-D i'll tell you how it goes and i'll tell you guys(and girls)what chooks i get at the auction! a_partyguy.gif a_partyguy.gif
chooklover101

Soon to become breeder of Lavender Pekins and multi-coloured Silkies.

Last edited by chooklover101 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:40 pm 

I think you right its a part of to get away but also because of the high volume of mating that sends them off

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:53 pm 

Spuddy wrote:
I think you right its a part of to get away but also because of the high volume of mating that sends them off

nah i think it was arrogance on her part :-D :-D but i think you are right he did mate with them too much.one poor hen got fertilised twice a day!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:54 pm 

The girls definitely go broody to get a break from the rooster. Boss Chookie went broody first and the The Pretty One was plum tuckered out from the late Mr. Rooster's amorous attentions, lost so many back feathers :( and went broody only to have 5 out of 7 of her eggs hatch and ALL being male :roll:

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:42 pm 

[smilie=a_cookiemonster.gif] wave.gif
Petite Poulet wrote:
The girls definitely go broody to get a break from the rooster. Boss Chookie went broody first and the The Pretty One was plum tuckered out from the late Mr. Rooster's amorous attentions, lost so many back feathers :( and went broody only to have 5 out of 7 of her eggs hatch and ALL being male :roll:

yeah apparently you can get saddles for chickens(it sound funny) which you put on their backs and stops them from losing feathers on their backs when roosters over-mate. [smilie=a_cookiemonster.gif]gee thats annoying just roosters! [smilie=thumbdown2.gif] [smilie=thumbdown2.gif]

Last edited by chooklover101 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:37 am 

I know the feeling Petite Poulet I had 5 chicks from one hen and they were all roosters drives me mad as I don't want any more roosters

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:19 am 

Spuddy wrote:
I know the feeling Petite Poulet I had 5 chicks from one hen and they were all roosters drives me mad as I don't want any more roosters

hmmmm i'm been lucky. my first hatch had 4 chickens hatched a one guineafowl(i found a nest of guineafowl eggs and my mum said i could take one and put it under the hens :-D ).The guineafowl baby and three chickens lived to adulthood(one of them was killed around the time of her laying eggs :cry: ).No roosters(even the guineafowl baby was female!!). My second hatch had 5 babies hatch(would of been 6 but my brother broke a fertile egg :( :cry: :cry: :cry:. also one of the babies drowned :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: she didn't learn from her mistakes :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: ) and only one rooster who I sent off to a nice home quickly. And with this hatch i have now(5 chickens) I think that there is only 1 or 2(hmm i'm noticing a pattern. the first babies, no roosters. the second, rooster. the third,perhaps 2 roosters.hmmmm).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:38 pm 

I have a pair of jap bantams thats gives me an average of 15 hens to 1 rooster so how good is that. I hope the next generation is the same as heaps of people want some with those odds

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:13 am 

BloomBantams wrote:
I have a pair of jap bantams thats gives me an average of 15 hens to 1 rooster so how good is that. I hope the next generation is the same as heaps of people want some with those odds

Hi BloomBantams
[smilie=welcome.gif] welcome2.gif welcomtogroup.gif Glad you're on board.Do you mean your hens lay as many as 15 hens?Sorry I don't understand what you mean conf665 conf665 .
Cheers
Chooklover101

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:24 am 

Hi all
I told you I would keep you posted about the broody hen.I didn't get my silkie(s) :cry: but I'm looking for some right now :-D but I did get 4 Pekins(and a Campine but they're not broodies).I finally got what I've always wanted for a few years......Lavendar Pekins! a_bravo.gif :-D woohoo4 I LOVE Lavendar chickens they soooooo pretty!I got Lavendar Cuckoo Pekins and two Semi-Rare Columbian Pekin Pullets.And I'm convincing my mum to get 3 roosters(she doesn't really like the idea but I'll convince her :-D ) so I can breed Frizzles, Blue Orpingtons and Lavendar Pekins! a_partyguy.gif a_partyguy.gif a_partyguy.gif [smilie=a_cookiemonster.gif] Hey, at the auction there was a rooster(who actually didn't look very heathly) went for $210 dollars! It looked like a Plymouth Rock(just th colour) as a Polish roo.

So I'm going to start breeding in spring and will hatch out all my little chickies then.Thanks for all of the advice guys. than657 [smilie=a_cookiemonster.gif]
than657 Chooklover101

Profile E-mail