It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: A recycled cost efficient effective brooder
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:30 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

You can use an old fridge =
strip it out
remove shelves and freezer compartment if it is inside the main section of the fridge.
Take the unit to a professional for degasing
remove metal grate thingy at the back [cant remember the name] and the motor etc
next =
lay the fridge on its back in a draft free corner somewhere
keep the metal grate thingy - measure it and cut a hole in the door slightly smaller than the grate and bolt the grate over this hole securely enough so it cant be ripped off [thinking of cats dogs and foxes here] it will/should keep out snakes as well by bolting a latch on the door attached to the side of the unit - just put a lock or bolt thru the latch
make hangers for a heating light [with a reflective cover] feed and water containers [that hold enough to last abt a week]
wash the inside area with soap and water then rinse then wash down with Virkon leaving the Virkon to dry by evaporation
spread either finely cut straw or rice hulls NEVER woodchips = they are predominantly from pine and the sap is dangerous to chicks/chooks
fill water [use vitamins of course] and feed containers put chicks in close 'door’ and turn on light

TA DA!!

Instant easy to clean brooder and you are contributing the recycling!!
If the fridge has a separate door for a freezer all the better =
A mouse proof feed holder

#by the way if you dont HAVE an old fridge - next council clean up day = drive around with a ute or trailer and take home any that anyone has left out with the door/s still on it/them - thats how we got most of ours!! also ask family and friends and try freewebs.com.au

so many scratch their heads trying to think of ways to keep chicks warm and safe =
is this one worthy of a sticky??

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: A recycled cost efficient effective brooder
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:15 pm 

soozorps wrote:

#by the way if you dont HAVE an old fridge - next council clean up day = drive around with a ute or trailer and take home any that anyone has left out with the door/s still on it/them - thats how we got most of ours!! also ask family and friends and try freewebs.com.au

Or Freecycle....

soozorps wrote:
so many scratch their heads trying to think of ways to keep chicks warm and safe =
is this one worthy of a sticky??

Definitely, its an ingenious idea.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:37 pm 

I have posted mine here on APF

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=2463&hilit=recycled&start=10

Cost was zero....also have a really cheap heat source in my album

Rabbit Breeds: Dwarf Lop, Californian, Netherland Dwarf, Polish, Rex, Dutch
http://www.kizma.webs.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:03 pm 

This is a subject I will take notes as the kids want to hatch a few eggs of their own

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:22 pm 

I love the whole concept of recycling but to be honest I could never get motivated but I will try your idea soozorps

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:19 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

porkey wrote:
This is a subject I will take notes as the kids want to hatch a few eggs of their own

:-D YAY = junior egg hatchers = GO KIDS :-D :-D :-D :-D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:26 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

BlueSky wrote:
I love the whole concept of recycling but to be honest I could never get motivated but I will try your idea soozorps

go for it :-D you will be suprised at how many more ideas come to mind once you get started with recycling :-D - I also have a cupboard that lays on its back with one door in tact the other converted with mesh for air flow = heat lamp - waterer and feeder later = it holds 100 chicks up to 3 weeks old comfortably they then go into the Dairy [converted of course - so ' recyclked ' sort of ;) ] to grow out to POL with heat lamps strategically placed until they no longer require them

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:28 pm 

Love the idea of "build your own" so much satisfaction on the end result

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:24 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

[smilie=bump.gif] as someone asked me about how to make a secure brooder the other day

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:34 am 

Love this idea I have 2 old fridges over in the hay shed so now I have a use for 1 of them