AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Hatching time.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:37 pm 

The French Wheaten Marans eggs we bought have started to hatch. The first one is just about out now and another has pipped. Day 20. Using what I'd say is a cheap Chinese Janoel knock off which I've modified over some test hatchings with some of our normal laying hens. Wanted to get it somewhat right before actually buying eggs . Out of the dozen bought , 1 was infertile the rest seemed to have something when set but the dark shell eggs make candling a bit harder. I'll be happy with a good half dozen :)

Post subject: Re: Hatching time.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:46 pm 

Hi Drekkus

So how many times have you incubated with your incubator before?

I'd say a 50% hatch rate would be awsome if I could get that.

Hope you get a good hatch, fingers crossed fr you [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

This is my first time though so I'm not sure what I'll get, so not really expecting anything.

How did you go with your first hatch?

Cheers
Chicka-Dee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:59 pm 

Chicka-Dee wrote:
Hi Drekkus

So how many times have you incubated with your incubator before?

I'd say a 50% hatch rate would be awsome if I could get that.

Hope you get a good hatch, fingers crossed fr you [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

This is my first time though so I'm not sure what I'll get, so not really expecting anything.

How did you go with your first hatch?

Cheers
Chicka-Dee

This is the fourth time I've used it. First time was a total disaster got nothing and I'm suprised I even got some to DIS stage. Not unexpected when I didn't have any way of monitoring the humidity at that stage and filling the water channels and seeing how much is there is pretty poor on the unmodified incubator. 2nd time got 3 out of 8 and last time it was 5 out of 8. Still have problems with the humidty and checking the water level in the last 3 days but is now much improved. Got some more mods to do :)
These are more my daughter's hobby but the trouble is she has too many different types so I've told her to settle on a couple of chickens and 1 duck breed. I'm sick of building yards to keep them seperated. So for the time being its Silkies, Marans and Khaki Campbells ( to go with the Peafowl and Guineas)

1st one is now out :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:09 pm 

I'm so new to this....what is DIS stage? conf665

So your incubator doesn't have a humidity reading on the front then?

At least it sounds like you are improving your hatch rate so that's a positive [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

Congrats with the first one.

How many you got set?

Also do you candle? If so when?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:28 pm 

Chicka-Dee wrote:
I'm so new to this....what is DIS stage? conf665

So your incubator doesn't have a humidity reading on the front then?

At least it sounds like you are improving your hatch rate so that's a positive [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

Congrats with the first one.

How many you got set?

Also do you candle? If so when?

DIS = Died in shell ( I hope !)

The incubator now has an independent temperature and humidity module mounted on the outside of the case. In hindsight I should have spent the extra money on the JN8-48.
I've also added an extra couple of 30mm holes with adjustable covers to help control the humidity a bit more. Thats after I had to replace the power socket after the first hatch as it simply fell apart . Like I said a cheap Chinese knock off. I also found it was easier to not use the 2 water channels but use the area around it. I haven't got the poor visibility licked yet so filling the water this way was easier but it doesn't get the humidity up quite enough in the last few days. Still working on options for that.

Got 12 set from an original 15, 12 Marans now 11 and 3 whatevers now 1. So 1 hatch out of 12 set so far.
We candle @ 7days, 14 days and on setting. With the dark eggs we couldn't be sure what had viable chicks and what was possibly rotten. 9 out of the 12 definitely looked promising

Edit: another 2 have pipped so thats at makes at least 4 possibles. 1st one is cheeping quite strongly. Now its off to bed so my daughter can watch them for the next couple of hours and we'll see how many there are in the morning.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:50 am 

Oh :shock: , well I think that's the last stage for them then isn't it!!! Poor little buggers.
My broody recently kicked one out at day 11 & when I cracked it open the poor little fella was DIS. Thanks for teaching me some lingo [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

Sounds like you've had to do quite a few moderations to it. Did you get one that had the little clear circle windows on the top?

Will keep my fingers crossed for you that your 4 turns into at least 9.

That would give you a great hatch rate.

Let us all know how you go.

Cheers
Chicka-Dee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:26 am 

3 now hatched , another 4 pipped :)

Yes it was the 4 window one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:10 pm 

Ooo 7, thats great. [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

Still keeping my fingers crossed that more will pip/hatch for you.

Next request will be for photos please :-D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:42 pm 

Chicka-Dee wrote:
Ooo 7, thats great. [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

Still keeping my fingers crossed that more will pip/hatch for you.

Next request will be for photos please :-D

Last I heard it was 5 hatched, 4 pipped and 3 no goes. I'm happy with that :)

I'll have to work out how to post photos

Edit: latest update is 7 out - 6 Marans and one oddbod. My daughter has feather sexed them , and she does have a reasonable strike rate on this, and her opinion is 6 male Marans. Not what I wanted to hear. We'll see just how correct she is for this breed. Won't have to wait long from what I've read. And of course the odd one out is thought to be female. :-?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:27 am 

Some picts would be nice we all love the little fluffies