AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Candling 9 day old eggs
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:52 pm 

Hello peeps..9 days into Precious sitting on 6 supposedly fertile eggs..just tried candling three but although I did not see veins, I did see dark say, one third of egg in two I picked but other was completely clear......Is the dark third indication that there may be life or should I try in a few days to see if veins are present.

I have had success twice before with hatching but I did not bother candling..this time I cant afford my Precious getting weak sitting for longer than she needs as she is a tiny bantam. I have to force her off twive a day to feed and water.

Advice would be grateful re candling cheers. :-?

Post subject: Re: Candling 9 day old eggs
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:22 pm 

Wow [smilie=a_holycrap.gif] day 9 already!

Man time flies :lol:

Candle again in a few days.

No need to force her off to feed as she will get off when ready. I feed Clara while on the nest & I normally find she jumps off by the next morning so she can go potty.

I always chop up veggies really small as she finds it hard sitting (all slumped down) & swallowing, but she loves eating them. Plus I also boil an egg up & mash it & feed it to her over two days as that keeps up her protein levels as well.

Cheers
Chicka-Dee. xx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:12 am 

Thanks Chicka-Dee...will try again soon.....I would normally leave her be but she has been clucky for months on and off and lost so much weight, refuses food and never leaves on her own accord so forcing her was my last option, if these eggs arent fertile it will be devastating for her......i would then get her a couple of day olds.

Isnt the maternal instinct strong in bantams?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:52 pm 

TP Member: Yes
Have you seen this viewtopic.php?f=39&t=44060

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:11 pm 

Oh wow..amazing Andrew...there is hope for me...i feel like knitting booties..

P.s love your signature....love it xxx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:29 pm 

Day 11 and just noticed one egg has a crack around entire body of shell still held in place with membrane..will candle tonight and see if any life..feeling sad for my Precious....should i take it out of clutch now?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:04 pm 

Doolan wrote:
Day 11 and just noticed one egg has a crack around entire body of shell still held in place with membrane..will candle tonight and see if any life..feeling sad for my Precious....should i take it out of clutch now?
hmmm conf665

Why don't you try that trick of putting sticky tape around it?

I read somewhere that someone did that to their egg when they noticed a crack & it hatched.

When you candled it D, was there any signs of life?

andrewschookz wrote:
Have you seen this viewtopic.php?f=39&t=44060
This is my daily bible when Clara is sitting on eggs :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:13 am 

Yeah Andrew posted it ealier and it has proved very helpful..when I went down to candle them the cracked one stunk very badly so i got rid of it..couple of others looked promising, others were clear but i am just letting her sit and putting food next to her...

I really need her to either have these babies or snap out of the brood soon after as we are going on a cruise and the house sitters will be left with the task of dealing with her.....still two weeks to go till we go away so I will know by then..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:32 pm 

I am a little confused do you candle at 5 - 7 or 9 days for the first time?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:49 pm 

You know everyone says something different.....if you google it, you will get heaps of different answers..I did 9th and about 11th but leaving her be now...might sneak another peak in a day or two...