AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: ID duck
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:26 pm 

I've just adopted this duck off someone I know. Apparently it wandered into their yard as a duckling and they've raised it and felt it was lonely by itself so I said I'd take it so it can live with my muscovies. It's about 3-4 months old and I'm not sure on gender, though I'm suspecting female? simply because it doesn't have a curly tail feather, its feet are quite small and its quack is quite loud, though I have no male to compare it to and having muscovies they don't exactly quack.

Any thoughts on type too? I'm guessing it's a mix of various different ones.

Post subject: Re: ID duck
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:53 am 

I had one similar and mine was welsh harlequin x mallard and yes I think a duck for sure

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:16 am 

I was searching around and found an article about campbell ducks and she looks exactly like the duck on the left in this photo from the article, except her beak is a yellowy/green/grey and her legs/feet are a fairly rich orange. And she's got a white patch on her chest/neck. I don't know if there's other types of duck that look like this though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:27 am 

She looks like my mallard x female too, thats what I would lean towards. How loud does it quack? Loud is female, whispy and quiet is male.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:54 am 

Sebducks wrote:
She looks like my mallard x female too, thats what I would lean towards. How loud does it quack? Loud is female, whispy and quiet is male.

at the moment it doesn't quack that often, but it seems to do both, makes quiet little noises, and every so often bursts out in loud quacking, it seems quite loud, but having said that I haven't kept anything besides muscovies, so any quacking is going to seem loud to me. But then when I've bred and raised some muscovies, their voices don't really change until about 3months of age anyway, is it the same with other ducks? Maybe its voice hasn't quite matured yet. Also not sure what age they're supposed to get the curly tail feather if they're a drake? It looks like it might be moulting at the moment too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:32 am 

Sometimes you can see the sheen of the green feathers in the face before the tail curls in just the right sunlight there is the faint hint of it. Sometimes submissive males don't colour fully and don't develop the curl, I don't know why, perhaps to avoid being constantly challenged by the dominant male.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:18 pm 

Hi There
I have a couple of ducks not unlike this one and the chap I bought them off is very honest and he said the one I have that is similar to yours is a Saxony/Mallard cross, and Yes! the ducks are very loud and once you distinguish the difference its glaringly obvious which are the males and which are the females.
My Indian Runners are quite loud (the girls) but we love it....
The boys are very raspy and don't actually quack as such....
She is as cute as a button, just enjoy they are very placid I find... [smilie=a_cookiemonster.gif]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:24 pm 

Just to update: Confirmed this duck is a girl as she's been laying over the last few weeks. Though I haven't actually seen her lay, but the eggs I've been finding are much smaller than the muscovies and the yolks are a different colour so I'm assuming the eggs are from her (her back end is also very distended). I found she has absolutely no nesting instinct what so ever though, I'm finding eggs all over the place, under the fruit trees out in the open, a couple in different spots in their shed, just outside the shed, next to their bath, near the back door, seems she just lays where ever.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:07 pm 

G/day muscovyduck, at least she's laying, I haven't had ducks for that long, but the best way I found to get them to lay in the same place is to leave an egg there when they lay in a decent spot, or use a dummy egg.

Cheers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:26 am 

BareFootDuck wrote:
G/day muscovyduck, at least she's laying, I haven't had ducks for that long, but the best way I found to get them to lay in the same place is to leave an egg there when they lay in a decent spot, or use a dummy egg.

Cheers

I have a bunch of fake eggs for my muscovies to stop them finding new nest spots when I take their eggs, so naturally I assumed this would work for this duck, but definitely not! I've tried 3 times to replace her egg with a fake one and every time she lays somewhere else, I suspect half the time birds are getting the eggs 'cause she lays them out in the open with no attempt to choose somewhere sheltered.

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Who is on the Forum

Users browsing this forum: 10Geese, 6 Ducks, 70%cocoa, 9 Ducks, ABC Poultry, Adam Smith, Adeiela, Akeet, Alex Cooper, alexanderpeafowl, AlligatorCrkHeritageBreed, Alpine Poultry, Amature Chookz, American Gamefowl, andrewschooks, Ann Meek, Appleton Australorps, arvoducks, Ash Maree, auctioneer, Avi Rare Breeds, Ayam Cemani, Backyard Chicken Chat, Backyard fowl, BaliDuckz, Bantam Rhode Island Red, Bantamenance, Barnywood, Baz Fitzgerald, beakybird, bearfred, BeatenEgg, Beaudesert Mandarins, bemba, Ben Newton, benalla park, Bendigo Poultry, Berryjj, BigDucksOz, BigQuackers, birds101, Birds4u, birdsrock, Birdz4u, Black Lories, blackdotte, blackleghorn, BlackSwan, Blackswan1, Blue Australorps, bluefirelady, Bob Brookes, BokBok2, Bonniedoo, Boolaroo, Booths Bantams, Boxwood, Brad M, brerrabbit, Brian Jack, BriansPeas, broken bird, BROOKES POULTRY, BT Homestead, BUBO, Buff Pekins, Buggsy, BushPig, ButtercupBreedGroup, BYC, byhookorchook, Cackles, caladenia, Caladenia Cottage, Calum H, Cammo Qld, CamsBantams, Carawatha Chickens, Cashmere, castaway chicken, cc's poultry, Cessnock Poultry, Chang Lee, Charmhaven Chooks, Cheesman Chooks, Chicken Unity, chicken-boy, Chicken07, chickenlittle, Chickens Mad, Chickhorn, Chook Lady, chookasaurus, chookgirl, chookiebum, ChookieG, ChookMamma, ChookMum, Chooks Galore, Chooks R Us, Chooks&Guineas, chookslife, chookyinoz, ChookzGallour, Christine Shaw, Chukar, Cliff Wyandotte Bantams, Clucky Henz, CluckyDeb, coastalchookies, Colac Sussex, ColacWaterfowl, Collector Peafowl, Connor Peafowl, cookie, Cordelia, Country Bird, CountryChookz, Cowhide, CrackerChook, Crash, Crescent Head Bantams, Daggy Guineas, Dan41, Daniel Lawton, Danny, Danny Brown, DARLING DOWNS PIGEONS, Darren James, darrssy, daviburn, David Simons, DavidGraham, Deb Thomas, debbilee, Denis, Desborough Birds, Dianne Carter, DillDale, Dodds Birds, DragonsDen, Dreaming Guineas, Ducks & Guineas, duckyfromoz, Duckz44, Eason Chooks, Easter Eggerz, Eat Chooks, Ecovald, eggnog, EggSellent, eggy, eugenia, Ewan Watkins, Exodus, Fancychooklady, Farmer Benji, FattyFarm, Feathers01, Feral Cheryl Silky's, Flash, Flightfeathers, FlockPheasants, fluff fur & feathers, FluffyBum Silkies, FowlMan, Fraggle, Frances Brahmas, Fraser Island, French Wheaten Maran, FrogLeap, Furze Chooks, Gaggle of Geese, Gails Guinea Fowl, Gamebreeder, Garth Lester, GavinGoose, geckodan, Georges Birds, Ginny, girlfriday, Glen Fowler, Gold Hornets, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Golden Macaws, Golden Pond, Golden West Waterfowl, Goodwin Ducks, Goran, Gosford Geese, Got GuineaFowl, Goulburn Heritage Poultry, grabby, gramps, GreenWest, Greg Clarke, Greg Davies, Groth, Grove_Guineas, GUINEA FOWL, guinea fowl galore, Guinea Fowl Troop, Guinea Gang, Guinea Love, Guinea Obsession, Guinea owner, guineafowl, GuineaHomer, Haggis, hairycanary, Hale Family, HAPPYHENS, Hardfeather, Hawkes, Healesville Arucana, heggie, Heidi F, Heijo, Helenchooks, Henny Penny, HillbillyGirlWA, Hyline Brown, Ian B, infoaddict, Isa Brown, Isachooks, Island Fowl, Ivan J, J Hicks, jaffa, James Willis, Jane Stewart, Janelle Marshall, Jane's Chooks, jap jumbo quails, jarryd, Jarryd Holmes, Jeff Duncan, Jen71, Jersey Giant, Jett, Jimboomba Poultry, JLockett, Jocon, John Cole, John Pike, johnstoneparksussex, JonksGuineas, jose, Josh Welsummers, jr, JRA, Judith King, Judy Appleton, Julie Hart, Kalimna Heritage Poultry, kardella poultry, Karlisa, Katy, KAZZA64, KellyP, KEMPSEY NAKED NECKS, Ken Johnstone, kezabel, Khaki_Ducks, Kin Kin Silkies, Kingscote Chickens, Kingsthorpe Fowl, klw, konopiste, KoopKing, kowie, KT, KTNQ, kyall3, LadyAmherst21, lanceview, Lavender Guinea Fowl, Lawnton Poultry, Lesley Thomson, Leslie Cooper, Lilly, Linda P, Linz, Lozzy, LozzyR, LueT, luvmychook, madrex, MamaPyjamaHens, MamasPyjamas, Mandy More, Mannie, Marek, Marengo Heritage Poultry, Margaret Stuart, Margie Goodwin, Margret Young, Mark Godwill, MaryJ, MaryJanet, Matt Burdon, Matt Hamo, Matt Knight, MattsGuineas, Mcginniss Fowl, meander, Melanie Y, MemoryLane, Michael Holmes, Michael Underwood, Milo, MinistryofDucks, Minorca&AndalusianStud, MinorcaCoop, mitchell07, MitchesMarans, Monique, Monto Poultry, MrPeabody, Mrpeewee, mrsgoose, Ms Frankie, Mulbring, mummaroo, Muzz Pheasants, mycoola, Myflockoblues, mysticviews, NanangoGuineaBoy, Natasha Moore, nathanael bantams, NellyG, Nel’s Pekins, NEP, NepeanBirds, New England Watefowl, NightMare, Noel Cox, Noosaville, NSW King Quails, NZ Guinea Fowl, NZ Pekin Queen, Oaklands, Oldmanrooster, Olivia N, ONE TREE HILL, Ozchook, ozflock, ozguineafowl, ozibirds, O'Connor Sumatras, P_Edwards, Pam, Partridge Brahma, Paul Clark, Peafowland, peamad, pearcey, Peel Waterfowl, PeepGuineafowl, Perth Pigeons, perthchooks, Peter Mead, Pheasant Man, Phil Thomas, PHILL, PingLee, Pitts_Poultry, pj hatchery, Podgie, PossumCorner, Poulsen, Poultry, Poultry Hoarder, Poultry Matters, Poultry mum, Poultry Rare Breeds, poultrynut, PrestigePeafowl, Pretty boy, Priens Fowl, prorooster, Prouten, Pure Poultry Images, QuailFarmer, QuailQueenGC, QuailTales, Quailz, Quamby Chickens, Rainbow Chickens, Rawlinson, realimagery, redeyekeet, redjohanna, Reeves Family, Rhiannan H, Rhode Red, Rick Bobby, Riverchase, RJJ Fowl, Rob Smith, Rocky Bobby, RockyRoos, Rod Taylor, Roger Parkin, Rohan, rollyard, Roma Runners, Rose, RossGuineaFowl, Roundyard, rowan1, ruff, rwood, Sandra Clarke, Sandra O'Neil, SantaClaws, satchell hens, Scots Grey Stud, seeing_spots, shairlyn, Sharni N, shayne, Shaza Rawlinson, Sheffield Pekins, Shelly Roberts, Shoalhaven Fowl, Show Silkie Stud, Silkie Pure breed, silver duckwing game, Smallflock, snowball, South Aust Rouen Ducks, SouthernDucks, SouthSussex, Sparky, splash laced Wyandotte, springcreek, Stark Waterfowls, Stelan, Stephen Richards, Steve Davies, Stewart Grant, Stuart Turner, Sue Clarke, Sue Hall, Sue ONeill, Sue Sheppard, Sue Wards, sue55, Sultans Stud Qld, Sumatra Stud AU, sunrise, Sussex Light, Sussex19, swiftwood pheasants, SwineoSam, SydneyOEG, T.A.S.S™ [Bot], TANYA, TazBarnies, The Barnyard, The Browns, The Chook Man, The Good Life, The Gotfeather, TheChookBlock, Tolmie Guinea Fowl, Tolmie Peafowl, Tolmie Pheasants, Tony & Linda, Toolern Vale Fowl, Tracey Lamb, Tracys Poultry Farm, Trany Naked Neck, Tribe of Honk, Tropic Poultry, Trott Park, Trout Runner, Turkey Man, Varley Pheasants, Vella Layer Hens, Vicki Joy, Victorian Waterfowl, Violet Town, Vivian Stephen, W Brown, WA GUINEA FOWL GUY, warmblood, Webbs Orpingtons, WendyT, Wheatley Silkies, white modern game, Whittlesea Poultry, whittls, wildman, Willow Park Poultry, winglet, wolfgang, Wombatbird, Wonderful Silkies, Wongarra Poultry, Wood Duck, WoodAviaries, WotTheFlock, Yeppoon Guinea Fowl, Yvette, Zanne and 5679613 guests