AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: 3 broody muscovys on same nest
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:58 am 

i dont know if this is comon but i put 3 ducks & 1 drake in the same pen togeather with a choice of 4 nests but they all decided to lay all in the same nest,i tryed puttin some of the eggs in the other nests but they continued to lay in that same nest, they layed40 or 50 eggs (havent counted) & have all gone broody at the same time & are all sittin on the same nest togeather, there not fighting ,they all seem quiet happy, is this comon or will this cause problems in regards to hatching??? will they mother them togeather once they hatch or will they fight over them??? ill atach a pic

Attachments:
kittens 009 (540x406).jpg
kittens 009 (540x406).jpg [ 249.19 KiB | Viewed 2844 times ]

Post subject: Re: 3 broody muscovys on same nest
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:37 am 

Two of my girls always seem to choose the same nest site and both go clucky on the same nest. I have issues every time this happens. The first time they had about 25 eggs between the two of them, and they constantly tried to steal eggs out from under the other. They were too preoccupied with taking eggs from the other that the eggs weren't being incubated correctly and it resulted in a lot of rotten eggs. Only 6 hatched out of 25 eggs, and the ones that did hatch I had to take off them because one died since the mothers were still preoccupied stealing the eggs that were left that they weren't caring for the ducklings.

The second time these two went clucky on the same nest, they broke eggs trying to cram into the same nest. The most effective way I've come up with to stop this, is to wait until one goes clucky and then make a pen around her and the nest so the other duck cannot access it, then if this duck lays a few more eggs, I add them under the clucky one. Or if they both go clucky at the same time, I'll remove one duck and make a pen so she can't get back in.

I don't know if this would be the case for all ducks, but with mine I certainly won't be allowing them to share a nest again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:26 pm 

happy to say they hatched 30 out of 40 eggs, but we lost 4 due to being squished by the mothers feet so we moved most of them 2 the brooder box,all doing well & growing fast......yay.... we where also lucky enough to have 11 runner ducks hatch at the same time, so we have now been envaded by ducks ,we wernt expecting such a good sucsess rate so a new ducky house has been built just for them 8)

if they share a nest again i wont let them have so many eggs as i found there was to manny for them to handle & when the mums move in the nest the squish them

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:05 am 

TP Member: Yes
They should share the duties as that is common with muscovy ducks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:44 pm 

Hey great picture I have only had 2 share and they sat facing away from each other

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:41 pm 

Wow, lots of ducks. When I was a teenager I was given 2 ducks and a drake called daffy. The 2 ducks shared a nest and hatched out 58 of the 61 eggs. We lived on a 1/4 acre block. I still love ducks, but I remember having to clean their pen on a daily basis. The memory of that smell still haunts me.n sidesplit.gif good luck with the babies. gluck.gif

1 skitz cat, speckled, platinum, and silver sussex, indian games, DB and buff plymouth rocks, gold laced wyandottes, a gold pencilled hamburg, 2 dexter steers, and a widowed mother (human, not bovine).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:45 am 

Oh yes the smell can be full on I have use top soil regularly to help with the build up of poops

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Who is on the Forum

Users browsing this forum: 10Geese, 6 Ducks, 70%cocoa, ABC Poultry, Adam Smith, Adeiela, Akeet, Alex Cooper, alexanderpeafowl, AlligatorCrkHeritageBreed, Alpine Poultry, Amature Chookz, andrewschooks, Appleton Australorps, arvoducks, Ash Maree, auctioneer, Avi Rare Breeds, Ayam Cemani, Backyard Chicken Chat, Backyard fowl, BaliDuckz, Bantam Rhode Island Red, Bantamenance, Barnywood, beakybird, bearfred, BeatenEgg, Beaudesert Mandarins, bemba, Ben Newton, benalla park, Bendigo Poultry, Berryjj, BigDucksOz, BigQuackers, birds101, Birds4u, birdsrock, Birdz4u, blackdotte, blackleghorn, BlackSwan, Blackswan1, Blue Australorps, bluefirelady, Bob Brookes, BokBok2, Boolaroo, Booths Bantams, Boxwood, Brad M, brerrabbit, Brian Jack, BriansPeas, broken bird, BROOKES POULTRY, BT Homestead, BUBO, Buff Pekins, Buggsy, BushPig, ButtercupBreedGroup, BYC, byhookorchook, Cackles, caladenia, Caladenia Cottage, Calum H, Cammo Qld, CamsBantams, Carawatha Chickens, Cashmere, castaway chicken, cc's poultry, Charmhaven Chooks, Cheesman Chooks, Chicken Unity, chicken-boy, Chicken07, chickenlittle, Chickens Mad, Chickhorn, Chook Lady, chookasaurus, chookgirl, chookiebum, ChookieG, ChookMamma, ChookMum, Chooks Galore, Chooks R Us, chookslife, chookyinoz, Christine Shaw, Chukar, Cliff Wyandotte Bantams, CluckyDeb, coastalchookies, Colac Sussex, ColacWaterfowl, Collector Peafowl, Connor Peafowl, cookie, Cordelia, Country Bird, CountryChookz, Cowhide, CrackerChook, Crash, Daggy Guineas, Daniel Lawton, Danny, Danny Brown, DARLING DOWNS PIGEONS, darrssy, daviburn, David Simons, DavidGraham, Deb Thomas, debbilee, Denis, Desborough Birds, Dianne Carter, DillDale, Dodds Birds, DragonsDen, Dreaming Guineas, duckyfromoz, Duckz44, Eason Chooks, Eat Chooks, Ecovald, eggnog, EggSellent, eggy, eugenia, Fancychooklady, Farmer Benji, Feathers01, Flash, FlockPheasants, fluff fur & feathers, FluffyBum Silkies, FowlMan, Fraggle, Frances Brahmas, Fraser Island, FrogLeap, Furze Chooks, Gaggle of Geese, Gails Guinea Fowl, Gamebreeder, GavinGoose, geckodan, Georges Birds, Ginny, girlfriday, Glen Fowler, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Golden Pond, Golden West Waterfowl, Goodwin Ducks, Goran, Goulburn Heritage Poultry, grabby, GreenWest, Greg Davies, GUINEA FOWL, guinea fowl galore, Guinea Fowl Troop, Guinea owner, guineafowl, GuineaHomer, Haggis, hairycanary, HAPPYHENS, Hardfeather, Hawkes, heggie, Heidi F, Heijo, Helenchooks, Henny Penny, HillbillyGirlWA, Hyline Brown, Ian B, infoaddict, Isa Brown, Isachooks, Island Fowl, Ivan J, J Hicks, jaffa, Jane Stewart, Janelle Marshall, Jane's Chooks, jap jumbo quails, jarryd, Jeff Duncan, Jen71, Jersey Giant, Jimboomba Poultry, John Cole, John Pike, johnstoneparksussex, JonksGuineas, jose, Josh Welsummers, jr, JRA, Judith King, Judy Appleton, Julie Hart, Kalimna Heritage Poultry, kardella poultry, Karlisa, Katy, KAZZA64, KellyP, KEMPSEY NAKED NECKS, Ken Johnstone, kezabel, Khaki_Ducks, Kin Kin Silkies, Kingscote Chickens, Kingsthorpe Fowl, klw, konopiste, KoopKing, kowie, KT, kyall3, LadyAmherst21, lanceview, Lawnton Poultry, Lesley Thomson, Leslie Cooper, Lilly, Linda P, Linz, Lozzy, LozzyR, LueT, luvmychook, madrex, MamasPyjamas, Mannie, Marek, Marengo Heritage Poultry, Margret Young, MaryJ, MaryJanet, Matt Knight, MattsGuineas, Mcginniss Fowl, meander, Melanie Y, MemoryLane, Milo, MinistryofDucks, Minorca&AndalusianStud, MinorcaCoop, mitchell07, MitchesMarans, Monique, Monto Poultry, MrPeabody, Mrpeewee, Ms Frankie, mummaroo, mycoola, Myflockoblues, mysticviews, NanangoGuineaBoy, nathanael bantams, NellyG, NEP, NepeanBirds, New England Watefowl, NightMare, Noel Cox, NSW King Quails, NZ Pekin Queen, Oaklands, Oldmanrooster, Olivia N, ONE TREE HILL, Ozchook, ozflock, ozguineafowl, ozibirds, O'Connor Sumatras, P_Edwards, Pam, Paul Clark, Peafowland, peamad, pearcey, Peel Waterfowl, PeepGuineafowl, Perth Pigeons, perthchooks, Peter Mead, Pheasant Man, Phil Thomas, PHILL, Pitts_Poultry, pj hatchery, Podgie, PossumCorner, Poulsen, Poultry, Poultry Hoarder, Poultry Matters, Poultry mum, Poultry Rare Breeds, poultrynut, PrestigePeafowl, Pretty boy, Priens Fowl, prorooster, Prouten, QuailFarmer, QuailQueenGC, QuailTales, Quailz, Quamby Chickens, Rainbow Chickens, Rawlinson, realimagery, redeyekeet, redjohanna, Reeves Family, Rhiannan H, Rhode Red, Rick Bobby, Ricky Bobby, Riverchase, RJJ Fowl, Rob Smith, Rod Taylor, Roger Parkin, Rohan, rollyard, Roma Runners, Rose, RossGuineaFowl, Roundyard, ruff, rwood, Sandra Clarke, SantaClaws, Scots Grey Stud, seeing_spots, shairlyn, Sharni N, shayne, Shelly Roberts, silver duckwing game, Smallflock, snowball, South Aust Rouen Ducks, SouthernDucks, SouthSussex, Sparky, splash laced Wyandotte, springcreek, Stark Waterfowls, Stelan, Stephen Richards, Steve Davies, Stewart Grant, Stuart Turner, Sue Clarke, Sue Hall, Sue Sheppard, Sue Wards, sue55, Sumatra Stud AU, sunrise, Sussex19, swiftwood pheasants, SwineoSam, SydneyOEG, T.A.S.S™ [Bot], TANYA, TazBarnies, The Barnyard, The Browns, The Chook Man, The Good Life, The Gotfeather, TheChookBlock, Tolmie Guinea Fowl, Tolmie Peafowl, Tolmie Pheasants, Toolern Vale Fowl, Trany Naked Neck, Tribe of Honk, Tropic Poultry, Trott Park, Trout Runner, Turkey Man, Varley Pheasants, Vella Layer Hens, Vicki Joy, Victorian Waterfowl, Violet Town, W Brown, warmblood, Webbs Orpingtons, WendyT, Wheatley Silkies, white modern game, Whittlesea Poultry, whittls, wildman, Willow Park Poultry, winglet, Wombatbird, Wonderful Silkies, Wongarra Poultry, Wood Duck, WotTheFlock, Yvette, Zanne and 5679995 guests