AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: First time duckling hatching. Advice sought please!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:51 am 

Morning eveyone.
Long time no posting as our chooks, guinea
fowl and ducks are all on auto pilot. Until today!
We have had one of our ducks on the nest for some where towards a month with a clutch of about 6 or 7 eggs. On inspection today, there is a beautiful little yellow chick, eyes wide open sitting beside mum.
We live in the wet tropics, mum and the other 4 ducks (one male) and our remaining old chook all live together.
Whilst the temp doesn't drop below 20 at night now, should I remove the chicks, or would they be fine with mum?
They are in a snake proof large cage, with clean water (duckling cant get into it and drown) and decent duck feed.
Will mum be able to feed the ducklings her self or do we need to get some sort of duckling mash?
I am aware of the risk posed by the other ducks and old chook. Any advice on first time duck parents is welcomed. It just seems wrong to separate the ducklings from their mum.

Thanks everyone.

Ken

Post subject: Re: First time duckling hatching. Advice sought please!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:21 am 

Hi Ken,

The duckling will be fine with mum, mother ducks don't "feed" their ducklings they do however teach by example the same as a mother hen does. Ducklings and chickens are pretty self sufficient when they hatch except for keeping warm and protected which is what the mother provides. Chick starter mash or duck mash if available is easier for the duckling to eat and it won't hurt the mother either. Hopefully you'll see more hatching in the next day or two.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:31 am 

Thanks for the reassuring info Sebducks. I'll go into town (Innisfail) and look for some suitable duckling feed. Should I separate the adult ducks from mum and the kids? She is protective of the eggs as I've seen her peck at any duck that stuck its head in her nesting box. I probably will keep old chook out of the pen for a little while, although pythons would be starting to wake up around here now.

Best wishes.

Ken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:26 am 

Well, story so far.
One strong healthy duckling with mum, she tossed out 4 eggs and three left. There was one egg with a small break which came from the inside that I noted yesterday. We left that with mum just incase it was normal to take a while. This morning, the egg still had not hatched so we opened the egg and assisted the little duckling out gently. He (hopefully she) is fairly weak, but taking water via the dropper and a little amount of moist duckling mash. We have her by herself as mum wasn't interested yet, in a container on a heat pad, in indirect sun and Ive been gently stroking her to stimulate her a little. She's not too hot, but enough to dry her feathers and not loose temperature (It's going to be around 30 Deg C here today as usual anyway). I'll feed her every two hours and offer water accordingly.
I purchased a lamp to keep her warm at night etc or in overcast days.
Any other suggestions or info on how to care for the weak duck (I've been told she's to be named Olga for some abstract reason to do with some movie duck).
Thanks everyone, and wish Olga well. Our two orphan Flying Fox babies are clearly annoyed with the lack of cuddles they are getting due to the two new duckling arrivals!

Ken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:32 am 

Sounds like your doing a perfect job Ken. The mother knows when eggs are rotten and usually rolls them out so they don't explode and contaminate the rest. Other ducks don't usually hurt ducklings but you can get the odd one which will try to eat them or they get trampled by the big feet. When mum gives up sitting and moves off with the duckling you'll know she's done (hatching wise) and you can pen her seperate with her duckling or you can take the other one she has and put it with the weaker one for company, sometimes it takes a couple of days for them to get their strength.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:48 am 

Thanks again Sebducks for the encouragement. I know it's nature at its basics but having never had a new hatchling from the start, we want to ensure we give the little fella (fellaette) the best start we can. We love our ducks, chooks and bloody noisy and messy guinea fowl!

Best wishes from the jungle.

Ken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:43 pm 

As at 1200h on Sun 23 SEP, 2 orphans which we have unpacked our selves (what a beautiful experience!) and two ducklings with mum. 2 rotten eggs (Jeez I gagged!), and two still under her which I'll watch closely. The two orphans are down my shirt with me as I type.
Sorry about my excitement for the hard core members!

Best wishes all.

Ken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:02 pm 

I still get excited at every hatch, don't worry.

Profile E-mail