AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: - 1000 questions about New Ducks!! -
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:53 am 

Hi there..

I have just introduced four new Pekin girls (4mths old) to my two newly adopted Khaki Campbell boys (10mths old).

I got the two boys from a friend who originally thought she had a boy and a girl. Both boys had started to attack her chickens (obviously ready to mate) which is why I took them off her. They are lovely little guys but after three weeks of being here, they started to attack my dog (!!).

I tried to get Khaki Campbell girls but none could be found at the right age so I have turned to Pekins.

We picked the girls up yesterday from a fairly large poultry breeder so the girls were quite grubby and petrified of humans and have no idea what to do with water! One has also seemed to have developed a limp.

All have integrated well though I did separate them into two pens overnight. They could still see each other through the wire and all seems well this morning thought the injured girl is now being bullied by one of the other Pekins.. and the boys still seem to want to kill my dog!

So here are my questions (!!):

- how can I stop the boys from attacking my dog? I thought introducing the girls might have done the job but nothing seems to have changed. BTW: my dog is a Staffy x Ridgeback - not a small dog!!

- should I separate the injured girl to stop her from being bullied?

- should I continue to keep them in separate sleeping quarters?

- is it possible to tame the girls?

Your advice to one or all of the above would be greatly appreciated!

Gaynor conf665

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: - 1000 questions about New Ducks!! -
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:27 am 

Just an update to my first post.. I have separated the injured duck as she was unable to rest because of the bullying (and I couldn't stand watching her stress any longer) so I caught her and sat with her in my arms for a while stroking her and letting her know all is good (first step in taming?). She is now in one half of the shed with food and water.. I sat in the other half of the shed with her just to reassure her, and the others, that I come in peace.. they all still panicked when I stood up but I haven't even had them 24hrs yet so one must be patient, I guess..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:45 am 

Just keep giving them lots of TLC and you will eventually find a change in their behaviour.
It will take some time.

gluck.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:26 pm 
­
­

TP Member: Yes
Yes it can take several week for them to trust you and to know you mean them ni harm just move slowly around the coop and offer them treat to win them over

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:23 pm 

Breeding season can be rough on female ducks, males can be quite relentless in their mating activity and it is sometimes a good idea to have one male per several females.

The way to a ducks heart is usually through the stomach, lots of patience and trying different treats. As you say these ducks were pretty grubby they may have only ever had access to small water containers and not enough to bath in or there were several in the same pen, they'll clean up in time.
They may take awhile to accept treats from you but the more you try the better they'll get, some use lettuce, bread, sultanas, tops of celery, grated carrot, the list goes on, try each one but you'll have to perservere for a few days at a time with each so they get the idea its a good thing. Also sitting down in the pen at feed time, not necessarily very close but just there where they can see you but aren't threatened by your presence then as time goes on they'll realise your the feed bringer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:37 pm 

Thanks everyone for your words on encouragement.. I'll continue to take the slow and steady approach and hopefully win their trust through treats!!

Any guidance on my other questions about the duck vs dog scenario, the injured duck or the sleeping arrangements??

Am on a huge learning curve this week!!

Yippee!! dd66789

Last edited by Gaynor on Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:39 pm 

The injured girl should be fully recovered before she is re-introduced as any mating behaviour from the males may hurt her more. Males and females are usually housed together without incident as they are generally well asleep at night, except really moonlit nights and they rise very early. As for the dog, they are probably trying to dominate, the worry being that the dog will eventually have enough of the onslaught and retaliate. Personally I'd keep the ducks away from the poor pooch.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:56 pm 

Thanks Sebducks than657

I have kept the injured one separate and sent the other three girls to bed with the two boys (!!). When I peeked through the window before leaving them, the boys were necking a bit with the girls and I could hear the injured one eating some food.. so I think all is good.

The girls seem to be learning a bit from the boys as they are very tame so hopefully they will come around eventually. They seemed to have picked up on what to do with water, eating their greens and even swimming. It's quite sad to see ducks that don't know how to be ducks.. I can't wait until they are ready to free range!! At the moment though I'm just happy to see them getting cleaner and cleaner!!

woohoo4

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:18 am 
­
­

TP Member: Yes
I know of a breeder that does not allow his ducks to swim other than a small bowl that they can only sit in to me this is not the done thing and not natural all duck must swim its important for the feathers and grooming

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:24 am 

I have read on posts on different forums that some breeders only give ducks enough water to dunk their heads in to clean their eyes and nostrils.
To me ducks are water birds and that is to me what they need.
Also when they are sitting they need to swim for moisture (humidity) for their eggs.
Also to keep their feathers and body clean as colacwaterfowl has stated.

Good luck with your birds. I am sure they will be eating out of your hands soon enough. ;)