AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: How to encourage my duck to use a ramp??
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:45 pm 

Hi, I was wondering if any of you knew any tips on how to get my 31/2 yr old Muscovy duck Cleo to use the new ramps my other half has made for her to get in and out of her house and pool. We've been using bricks ever since we got her at 4 months until now and decided to change things as we think she may have strained/pulled a muscle in one of her legs (she's been limping for over a week now, she's had it off and on before, but it's always gotten better after a week but for some reason, not this time).

There's absolutely no signs of swelling or infection, no cuts, abrasions, growths, lumps etc on her feet or legs and they don't feel hot to the touch or anything either. I don't believe she has any vitamin/mineral deficiencies as she's fed a high protein pellet and also forages around in the backyard at her leisure. She's still eating and swimming around as normal, but just limping a little on the one leg and only walks a little way before sitting down again. We thought building ramps for her to use for her house and pool would be gentler on her legs, except she doesn't want a bar of them!!

I've been encouraging her, but she tries to go around them and find some other way in, so am not sure what to do at this point?? Does anyone have any tips on how to get her to use them or is she too old to learn a new way?? And if not a ramp, any other ideas that might be better than bricks??

Any advice or idea's would be greatly appreciated :-D

Post subject: Re: How to encourage my duck to use a ramp??
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:34 am 

I have had to use oblong thinner pavers for my mussies.
They are not too high for their short legs.
I put them as 3 wide on bottom and 2 wide on top. They can get messy though.

You could make a frame with timber or bricks and put some coarse river sand inside.
The sand can be easily cleaned with a lawn rake and is easy on their feet.

Just a thought.
Sorry for the late response as I have only just seen this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:03 pm 

Hi duckie....

Thank-you so much for your reply. Was beginning to think that no-one could help us. Have just shown my other half your post and he's gone off to have a good think about it :-D

Appreciate you taking the time to reply and thanks again!! :-D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:23 pm 

TP Member: Yes
All birds take time to get used to changes its just some take longer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:14 pm 

We're still persevering thanks Dennis :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:54 am 

TP Member: Yes
Use some food on the ramp to encourage them to use it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:39 pm 

Thanks Nep...have been trying to lure her with food but she's very wary though I can see she wants to go get the tidbits I'm offering her. Should I just put some food on the ramps and leave her to it?? I've been standing/squatting down putting food on the ramps for her so far and trying to coax her in an encouraging voice. Just wondering if my presence is doing more harm than good??

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:57 pm 

Is that the duck with a limp? If so she may be wary of hurting her foot/leg again.
Just leave the food for her but remove if gets stale (greens) or wet due to rain.
She will eventually try her self.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:37 pm 

Yep, that's my limpy duck!!! :lol: Thanks duckie, have been doing that the last couple of days. Am putting the food on just the one ramp to begin with to see how she goes. At the moment she's just eating the food off the ramp, but not actually stepping or walking on it :lol: I can see this is going to take some time!!! ;) :-D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:55 pm 

How high is the step.
Can she reach the food if on the higher step without stepping up onto the first one.

Try putting it just out of reach so that she has to climb for it.
Then repeat the action as you get her to climb onto the steps.
You will eventually have her climbing all the way and enter the area you want her in.
Good luck, she is a stubborn one.
When she hurt her leg, did she hurt the hip or the leg itself ?
You could have her checked out by the vet. ??

Once ducks hurt the hip etc, they can develop arthritis later on so will need the appropriate meds then if that happens.

I have a duck that had an accident when tiny. I took her to the vet. She dislocated her hip but by the time I found out it was too late. She (Phoebie) will have to have anti-inflamitories later.