AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Bringing new chooks home
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:27 am 

Quick question about my two new chooks. I have 2 x 2yr Rhode Is Reds currently residing in the large coop, let out to free range every day. In a couple of hours I am going to pick up 2 x 10w old light sussex and I know that they need to stay inside a coop for about a week before being let out to free range, and also that they need to be kept separate from the older girls.

So, my questions are:

How long do I keep them separate for?

And also, my plan is to keep the older hens in their larger coop and put the smaller coop they came with right next to it, so all the hens can get familiar with one another. The nesting box in the larger coop has a wood panel that separates it into two nesting boxes, but the girls dont like it and insist on shoving it out of the way, so I got rid of it. The little coop they came with has a nesting box, so would it be a good idea to house the younger ones in the smaller coop, then leave that coop available for them once they all start FR together, so I have 2 nesting boxes for the 4 chooks? I will grab a photo because that might help.

Post subject: Re: Bringing new chooks home
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:45 am 

Hi,

I was reliably informed that when you bring new chooks to your flock, you need to quarantine them for 30 days. This is to ensure that they are not bringing in any diseases into your new flock. Generally, because of their new environment, they can be stressed out and that is when these diseases manifest. I learnt the hard way by introducing new chooks without quarantine into my flock and nearly lost my entire flock. The best thing is to medicate the new ones with Amprolium to prevent coccidiosis and top up their feed with a good Vitamin supplement and make sure that you disinfect your hands and clothing before entering into the different coops, especially your shoes. As a general prevention, I give my present chooks Amprolium twice a week. As I live in Queensland and it gets really wet in summer, I find this is most important.

Hope this helps.

[smilie=18_13_1.gif]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:51 pm 

Oh :/ So when people say "keep separate", do they mean quarantined? I always assumed it just meant keeping them apart so the older ones cant attack the younger ones, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:13 pm 

MrsM wrote:
Oh :/ So when people say "keep separate", do they mean quarantined? I always assumed it just meant keeping them apart so the older ones cant attack the younger ones, etc.

I think it can mean both. Always best to quarantine new birds from your existing flock, and also keep the little ones away until they are BIG enough to defend themselves in pecking order battles.

These conflicts can be rather vicious and ugly with feathers flying EVERYWHERE and possible injuries such as eye gorging and comb/wattle pecking and vent picking, all rather NASTY but a natural part of a day in the life of a chook. That's why Lady Frances With The Fluffy Bottom is safely locked up in her mansion, Boss Chookie would have her for breakfast and Mr. Rooster would have his way with her. He is obsessed with Lady Frances and Boss Chookie is not a happy little chookie now that her babies are gone and she has a new fluffy French rival to contend with.

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:23 pm 

I know chickens can get nasty when establishing their pecking order, I planned to let them free frange separately for a while until the new ones are a bit bigger and can handle themselves. Does the behaviour of the older ones in the weeks leading up to actual contact give any indication on what potential battles might be like? The older two have been free ranging for a few hours now and so far havent given the two ones a second glance (though, my 12yo and I are sure that there is a difference in their "brrrrooook brok broks" lol. I have already popped the two newbies into the smaller coop next to the large one so I might have done my dash as far as quarantine goes, but hopefully things will be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:58 pm 

MrsM wrote:
though, my 12yo and I are sure that there is a difference in their "brrrrooook brok broks" lol. .

Never underestimate the intelligence of a chook. Was it sort of a low, deep, guttural "brrrrooook brok broks"???

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:26 pm 

Not quite. Normally they are pretty quiet, like they are just mumbling to themselves. When I put the new hens in the coop, the older ones did it a little louder, with a bit more intent. Thats probably the best way I can describe it. They never went near the little ones in the smaller coop, apart from trying to check out what food I gave them lol

If the older ones dont try and peck at the younger ones in the coop, does that indicate that they might not really be all the fussed about them in terms of hierarchy? Is it possible that the chooks will just establish themselves without any nastiness?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:45 pm 

Oh no, they'll be worried about the hierachy alright, they just can't do anything about it at the moment because you have bars in the way.

Last edited by wickedwings on Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:46 pm 

Ok good to know, thanks :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:50 am 

Around the last week of the quarantine period, it's always a good idea to slowly introduce the young ones by putting them in a separate enclosure, such as the one they came in, so that the old girls can see them and familiarize with them. Once they are introduced, also ensure that the "old" girls have their own food/water and give the new ones their's in a separate feeder/waterer. Generally, they will work it out themselves with their pecking order and will eventually accept the new girls in. As far as getting nasty with each other, that only happens when they are cooped up in a small chicken coop,but given you have them free ranging it should not be a problem. It's also a good idea to introduce the new ones at night and in the morning when you let them out off their sleeping quarters, make a commotion or distraction, so that the old ones will be more interested in that than in the new ones.

All the best, hope it all goes well for you. [smilie=a_withstupid.gif]