AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: new chicken cage-soon
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:32 pm 

Hi guys,
A long-term project here:
my old chicken cage is too dog prone, one just took a swipe at it and got in :shock:
I need a new one, any ideas?
here is wahat I want to do....
find a flat piece of my yard, dig down 15 cm, and concrete it.... before the concrete sets, I will put 8, steel poles,(like star pickets)
2m high eachin the four corners,3 mid-way in te corners and the last one a bit to one side to the cage for a door.. then as soon as I do that, I will get two layers of mesh on it.. one dog proof and the other snake proof, iwill completely go around it like a cube...
then I will fix a tarp on two corners and on the top, to keep the rain out- or get that clear plastic like roofing material
and make it like that... then, I will flatten all the concrete out, make it all nice and smooth, but on an angle, so rain will drain out and so I can clean...I will at least make on corner completely water proof for hay, etc..
this cage will mainly be for 6 bantams and 2 regular sized hens...
what ould be good dimensions if I wanted the cage to be big enough for all eight to be happy in there while I am at school..
and can you get star pickets 2 metres high?
thanks

Philip

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: new chicken cage-soon
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:52 pm 

gluck.gif with the project Philip,

I hope that you can get someone to give you a hand.

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:11 pm 

thanks, as I said before: what would be a good size for them as I go to school and have to leave them in the cage...

:) Thanks,
Philip

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:32 pm 

anyone know??
as I amtrying to work out prices...

Thanks wave.gif

Philip...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:39 pm 

Hi Philip,

I found this today and thought it might help you -
Chickens: Minimum floor/run area of 3m2 for housing up to six bantams or three large birds. Additional birds will require additional space at the ratio of 2.5 birds / m2. An Increase in enclosure size of 0.4 m2 for every large bird and 0.3 m2 for every small bird is recommended.

So 3.8 square metres would be the minimum for your 6 bantams and 2 big girls according to that guide (the ACT poultry code of practice) link below:

http://www.cqpoultryclub.com/_files/act_animal_welfare_poultry-non-commercial_code_of_practice_2010.pdf

In relation to your other question, I've only seen 1800mm tall star pickets (also called metal star posts at building suppliers) at hardware stores. I've just had a look online and apparently you can also get them in 2400mm from some metal work places. Do you have a metal work place (factory or recycler) near you? You might also look at galvanised metal fence posts, though they're likely to be more expensive. Split pine logs and a staple gun might be another option for you?

Hope this helps,
Jo gluck.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:54 pm 

that DID help, at least I know that there is at least 1800 out there, we have a metal place near hear.. but as you said price will be the issue.. i will ask to call them to see if they have any thing like that..
and no the pine won't be good, as we are in Cairns, with cyclones through every 4 or so years... so I really need a strong cage..
I will try to make it as big as I can, but at least 4m square.. or up to 6m2

thanks lots :0

Philip

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:14 pm 

I wish I was in Cairns.... :-?

If you can't get star pickets, ask about 2-3m thick galvanised pipe or cyclone fence posts. You might be able to make some savings. You will need a decent drill, bit and a packet of tech screws, but you should be able to build whatever you want! You might want to do some research on measuring up your concrete too - I had a bad experience with an aviary slab as a teenager - took double the amount of bags I thought and ended up being very expensive (concrete is dearer than you'd think). If you're doing a 6m2 slab it might be worthwhile getting a quote from a concrete company to have it delivered. I had a driveway put in a couple of years ago and I think it was about $60 per m2.

Here's some useful info - http://www.minimix.com.au/handy_hints/planning.html - Dr Google tells me there are a couple of concrete places in Cairns and they can do mini-mix deliveries for small batches.

Have fun drawing your plan and costing your project!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:14 pm 

o wow, if I order double [smilie=a_doh.gif]
oh well I will see....
and I have plenty of tools... trust that :lol:
pc.gif making a plan now... would you like a picture when I am done?
(it could be a while...)
I will see if I can get hold of: due to the place I want to get them from not having any bantams I will only get 2 bantams
2 lavender auracanas
2 other various bantams
2 wyandottes (what type of lace should I get?)
2 white sussex
8 chooks.. most now full size....
I will have to do more maths.... :(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:59 pm 

Yay! I found the Demolitions tip that my dad went to to make my room, they have lots of stuff that I need and really cheap :)
and I need to do the new cage soon because council laws have changed [smilie=a_doh.gif]
oh well, and since the concrete alone is going to cost 300 dollars I am gonna see if the sell it in slabs (of already set concrete that they have dug up) and I will lay them down and then pour concrete around it... hopefully saving money...
Is that a good idea?
also I am making it now on Google Sketchup :) quite amusing...
and- since my B-day is on 25th of June someone in my class is going to get me a cute little chick for waombat to raise up... :) chicken4.gif :-D
[smilie=a_withstupid.gif]
Philip

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:21 pm 

gluck.gif Philip,

Maybe an article for HELP and ASSISTANCE in your church/school newsletter??? I truly hope and pray for you and your family that your community are aware of your challenging circumstances.

NEVER FEEL THAT YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN...MIRACLES ALWAYS HAPPEN, IF YOU ALWAYS BELIEVE...

VISUALISE, BELIEVE... IT WILL HAPPEN...

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...