PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:46 am 

Which are better the wood nest box or the metal nest box please

Wood http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31JQp8VGoHL.jpg

Metal http://i20.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/e5/fa/aa93_1.JPG

I guess I am asking which is best for the chooks more so

Post subject: Re: wood V metal nest boxes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:33 pm 

[smilie=welcome.gif] ROO&HEN,

My original nesting boxes were recycled old draws, but I would personally go for the metal ones as mites can't hide in them like wooden ones nesting boxes and they are more hygienic by being easier to clean.

You just need to line them with soft litter there are threads on the topic in this section, to make them cosy and comfy and maybe put a couple of dummy eggs in them so your girls know where to lay.

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:16 pm 

My girls have a black plastic tub with wood shavings in it and a brick to stop Peaches from tipping it over. We tried straw but one chookie (Peaches) out of 3 really didn't like it and ousted the entire lot out the box then out the door, down the ladder and out another door, finally resting in the far corner of the run :lol: . She really disliked straw.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:37 pm 

It depends where you live I guess. The metal ones would heat up too much in Summer here even in the shade. In a heat wave I can't sit on my metal framed outdoor chairs on the shady veranda because they are too hot to touch, so I imagine the galvanised steel nest boxes would be the same. And I can't imagine chooks feeling cosy sitting on chilly metal in frosty weather either. At least plywood (or any wood) stays cooler in summer and warmer in winter, and can be rebuilt economically if it needs replacing.

My tractor roosting box has sheet metal walls and roof but the floor and nesting box are plywood for those reasons.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:19 am 

This is all so good I thank you for the advice so far very kind. So many good point to consider but I think I could get hubby to make a wood floor in the metal box, he wants to use metal to stop white ants eating the boxes because we have a problem with them here so do you think that could be the best option to mix the wood and metal together like that?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:50 pm 

How about a plastic tub if you have a white ant problem? They are cheap enough in the discount stores and come in all different shapes and sizes.

Just line it with toxic free wood shavings, or organic sugar cane mulch or straw or hay so it is nice and soft for the girls to lay in.

gluck.gif

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:27 pm 

Petite Poulet wrote:
How about a plastic tub if you have a white ant problem? They are cheap enough in the discount stores and come in all different shapes and sizes.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here Petite Poulet. Plastic tubs can also be found for free and cut to the right shape - no white ant problem, no temperature extremes, easy to clean. The bedding in it can be anything you want - straw, hay, sugar cane mulch (this one's too expensive for my liking) or even budget-conscious shredded newspaper. Maybe not the wood shavings which could attract white ants.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:15 pm 

I use this ones they are cheap and good

Attachment:
chook65.jpg
chook65.jpg [ 2.6 KiB | Viewed 6824 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:32 pm 

So is that just a drum cut down?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:41 pm 

I've heard that people use lawn mower catchers as nesting boxes too. People pick them up when councils have hard waste collections.

Also, perhaps a cat litter house with the door flap removed??? They cost about $30 at the discount store, durable plastic and easy to clean.