AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: recycled ideas
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:05 pm 

I have just started my brooder flats use ideas from here. I am using an old wardrobe with 3 shelves so it will give me 3 brooders 2 with light globes and 1 without. Thanks for sewing the idea into my head it saved me allot of money

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:45 pm 

I love the old fidge idea what a good recycle idea with so much waste in this day and age we should do more to recycle I feel

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:15 pm 

Hi All wave.gif
I use an old fridge laid on it's back to store a bale of hay in the large compartment and a 20 kg bag of feed in the old freezer box, also in an old chest freezer I keep a bag of chaff + a 20kg bag of feed. Great in the tropics because everything goes mouldy quickly in the high humidity + it keeps the vermin out.

Regards

Ian turkey.gif

1 Wife, 1 Daughter, 1 Dog, 1 Cat, 1 Dexter Bull, 2 Dexter Steers, 7 Dexter Cows, 2 Dexter Heifers, 6 Dexter Calves, 19 Wiltshire Horned Sheep, 1 Wiltshire Horned Ram, 1 Barnevelder Rooster, 7 Mixed Breed Old Chooks, 4 Barnevelder Hens and 17 Barnevelder Chicks. See them all @ www.ethicaldexterbeef.com.au

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:32 pm 

Good idea I have just had a fridge pack up so I will use it for storing my grain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:55 pm 

My Uncle doesn't have any poultry, so I would NOT recommend using this near your poultry as I would NOT want anyone's poultry eating baited rodents.

He has recycled a honey bucket and converted it into a bait station by cutting a hole in the lid and filling it it bait.

Attachments:
Recycled honey bucket - Bait Station.JPG
Recycled honey bucket - Bait Station.JPG [ 66.25 KiB | Viewed 5920 times ]

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:23 pm 

County Lodge wrote:
I love recycling things. This chook pen was built with a motorcycle transport crate for the upper level. The bottom level is old fencing material from where we replaced our fence after a mini tornado demolished it. The posts are old garden surrounds we had replaced with garden besser bricks. The outer run is enclosed with the wire from Kylie which is a safety chain wire and shade cloth they put around scaffolding then pull down and dump. The door to the pen is an old screen door but I tihk I will replace it in the future with a security grill door as it is stronger.

My lavender pekins are very happy in their little home.

Both of these look really good I love the whole recycle in action as we all waste so much good to see you have embraced it and done so well

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:53 pm 

I found a couple of old drawers in my Nanna's shed and cleaned them out and converted them into nesting boxes.

This is what they look like:

Attachments:
Old Drawer.jpg
Old Drawer.jpg [ 127.88 KiB | Viewed 5865 times ]
File comment: Plastic egg placed in straw lined recycled drawer nesting box.
Nesting Box Made From Recycled Drawer.jpg
Nesting Box Made From Recycled Drawer.jpg [ 132.22 KiB | Viewed 5855 times ]
Happy Hen Laying In The Recycled Nesting Box.JPG
Happy Hen Laying In The Recycled Nesting Box.JPG [ 124.54 KiB | Viewed 5840 times ]
Blue Egg Laid In Recycled Nesting Box.JPG
Blue Egg Laid In Recycled Nesting Box.JPG [ 119.89 KiB | Viewed 5818 times ]

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:17 am 

i use old lawn mower catchers as nesting boxs , my runner duck loves them
i drilled a few holes in the bottoms & sat them on bricks to keep them of the ground...
im looking for more if any one has any?? :-D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:27 am 

For heat waves, here is my cool drinking water station, frozen water in a clean, soft drink bottle standing in an ice cream container of filled with water...

Attachments:
Cool Water Station.jpg
Cool Water Station.jpg [ 123.9 KiB | Viewed 5583 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:01 am 

I don't know if you get feed tubs for sheep or cattle in Aus, but I use a lot of these as nest boxes or drinkers and feeders, just cut a bit out of the sides to suit your needs. They will withstand being frozen and are not easily tipped over.

Be carefull if you cut them for nestbox use that you cut down low enough to allow the chicks to get back under the broody, if you cut to high and the chick gets out and can't get back in the broody will leave the eggs to comfort the chick and the eggs will go cold. I use some lid downwards if for large fowl, Bigger base and doesn't tip so easy.

Cut a hole narrower for water and high enough up to hold about 4 inches of water. You can replace the lid and the container is uneffected by the use of Apple Cider Vinegar in the water.

Easy to scrub clean if used for water or feed. If your using for nest boxes be aware that you will still get Red Mite. (Check under the lid and under the rim).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next