AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: recycled ideas
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:11 pm 

I would like to work toward having a sticky made up using all the members ideas for recycling things to use with their chooks and in the coops etc. Hopefully we could put photos in so people know what we are talking about.

Things I was thinking of:-

Bunyanut Ernie came up with a recycling idea for feeders by using plastic garden pots set on saucers. Perhaps the post Ian had put up in my post wastage of chick starter could be put in there with a photo.

I make nesting boxes out of plastic drums and I could put a photo in with an explanation of how to do it.

I also use 3ltr empty plastic milk bottles cut down as scoops for grain and feed etc.

Has anyone else got ideas. I am sure there must be hundreds out there that we just didn't think of ourselves that make life easier and costs next to nothing that we all would all love to share.

Last edited by County Lodge on Wed May 14, 2008 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:17 pm 

I'll post later, i;m on the shout box at the moment ;)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:22 pm 

a simple door / air vent,

the only reason i trimmed it was to make it flush with everything elce, so you could keep the door full length, so you waouldnt have to bend over. many people throw out these doors during council clean up weeks.

And if like me trimmed the door length, you can turn the other half into an air vent, just make sure the slats are facing downwards so rain doesnt get in.

Finally getting the hang of this thumbnail buisness ;)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:32 pm 

I have used plastic flower pots as mouse bait stations, I turn them up side down and cut 2 small holes about 1/2 an inch up from the bottom on opposite sides for the mice to get in and put a brick on top they work a treat :-D

Jeff chicken.gif

Post subject: good ideas
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:30 pm 

Hello CL

What a great idea today i was making show pens and everything i used was recycled. The main frame is an old work bench, the corri roof is of an old shed, the side panels and some of the backs are planks from old pellets and the doors/wire-fronts are wire shelves from old fridges :idea: (so many of them down the tip) :) Just posting some pics now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:49 pm 

I'm gonna love this thread.

My main pen uses an old carport from Supercheap Auto as the frame.

The biggest "ingredient" when I made my broody pen was an office desk from Lifeline.

My temporary pen for the Australorps uses a swing set A-frame.

My quarantine pen was build out of an old pallet.

My nesting box used to be a toybox.

The quarantine nesting box is a mower catcher (I know that one's not unique, been done by lots of people).

For chick feeders/waterers, I use such things as an ice cube tray, a biscuit server, tv dinner trays. Let me say, it is pretty hard for them to drown themselves in an ice cube tray.

I picked up a bunch of old primary school desks from my sisters place earlier tonight. Mini-pens??? Brooder???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:03 am 

I have made:

a chick rearing cage out of scrap wood, mesh from the tip, and stuff used for cementing as shelter.

http://www.paforumphotogallery.com/disp ... =150&pos=3

An A-Frame pen made from the same stuff as the chick rearing cage.

http://www.paforumphotogallery.com/disp ... =49&pos=33

rooster night boxes made from ply wood found in the bins from bunnings.

(not yet complete)
http://www.paforumphotogallery.com/disp ... =49&pos=87

and a lot more but i'll post another thing later

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:31 am 

What a great idea for a thread :) I am still undesided on showing, but have been thinking about using a big old wardrobe I have in the shed for training cages, I thought if I took the whole front off it & used the doors as the shelves & sides & all I would need is the cage fronts.

The other thought is to do the wardrobe thing again, leave the doors on, put shelves in & fronts. Hinges so the top & bottom 1/2 of the front are independent of each other then each is able to open seperatley, the top would lift up for easy access & unlatch the bottom for easy cleaning, vent holes in the sides & fit heater lights, cords through the side into a power board, shut the doors when finished & wella a 3 or 4 tier brooder. All just ideas at the moment for small hatches of different ages. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:59 am 

This is great. Some really good ideas here. :-D :-D

Keep them coming :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:50 am 

I have an old medium dog house in the goose pen as a nest box.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next