AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: recycled ideas
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:30 pm 

I think most chook people are right into recycling for building coops after all it makes sense too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:27 pm 

That's because for most of us it is an uneconomical hobby. It costs us money at every step. Every cent we can save by doing things ourselves with free or cheap materials we do.

But, I have been wondering of late...what about my TIME. I keep building and rebuilding and constantly disliking what I've built...thus rebuilding. Maybe I should spend some of the money Ruddy has given us on some real pens...maybe a few 3-5 large bird chicken tractors.

But...back to recycling...
I'm thinking of buying $15 desks from a nearby Lifeline to use as the "walls" for my brooder. As long as it works, the round heat element from the old dryer (see earlier posts in this thread) will be hooked up to a dimmer switch and used for heat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:40 pm 

greenaus wrote:
the round heat element from the old dryer (see earlier posts in this thread) will be hooked up to a dimmer switch and used for heat.
[smilie=rlp_smilie_178.gif] [smilie=nonono.gif]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:31 am 

Didn't work huh?? :lol:

Terrible visions of fried chickens in the greenaus household. thinkerg.gif thinkerg.gif

Rabbit Breeds: Dwarf Lop, Californian, Netherland Dwarf, Polish, Rex, Dutch
http://www.kizma.webs.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:36 pm 

No. But nothing serious happened...not really.

The dimmer switch I used was rated for 10A, which I'm guessing was a little low. I hooked up both the element and a regular light bulb. The dimming worked for 10 seconds or more then the light flickered and became totally illuminated and the element began heating at full power. Turning the dimmer switch had no effect.

I removed the element and tested the dimmer again with only the light bulb. It worked.

It was a bad idea from the outset. What if that had happened after an hour of actual use?
b&p wrote:
Terrible visions of fried chickens in the greenaus household

Post subject: "Trestle roost"
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:58 pm 

You've heard of the trestle table, but what about the trestle roost?
Attachment:
File comment: Introducing the "Trestle Roost"
trestleroost.jpg
trestleroost.jpg [ 68.34 KiB | Viewed 6854 times ]
When you come across an old or broken trestle table with good legs, remove the broken table board and attach a solid lump of timber and give it to your chooks as a roost. I did.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:11 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

greenaus wrote:
...what about my TIME.

But...back to recycling...
I'm thinking of buying $15 desks from a nearby Lifeline to use as the "walls" for my brooder. As long as it works, the round heat element from the old dryer (see earlier posts in this thread) will be hooked up to a dimmer switch and used for heat.

regards your time - DONT DO THE MATH!!!!!!!!! you may have an attack of some kind = $55 an hour is the alleged value of our leisure time

recycling - desks work very well for what you are proposing and glad you got away from the idea of using the element - yeah fried chickies is not good
you can also use 2nd hand filing cabinets - minus the drawers of course

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:56 am 

The big home-made brooder was successfully created from two $15 desks. Thanks for the follow-up. I guess I should have included a link to that thread earlier. :oops:

Big Rex's girls used the "trestle roost" last night and when asked what they thought responded that it was great.

I think I took the dryer element to the dump when I did a little cleanout a couple of weeks back. I figured it was safer for everyone if I got rid of it before considering it for some other ill-thought-out DIY idea. [I remember having that thought and I can't see the dryer element here beside me, so hopefully...]

greenaus wrote:
Maybe I should spend some of the money Ruddy has given us on some real pens...maybe a few 3-5 large bird chicken tractors.
Or little garden sheds. I've only built one so far.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:44 am 

My OT is big on recycling all thing old which I don't mine as it save money not to mention he is very handy at it

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:37 pm 

The 15ft trampoline mat we replaced a couple of months ago is being used as shade over the new broody pen and also covers half of the breeding pen beside it.

The broody pen is cool and comfy.
Attachment:
broodypen.jpg
broodypen.jpg [ 34.72 KiB | Viewed 6694 times ]
Attachment:
101_0268.JPG
101_0268.JPG [ 40.78 KiB | Viewed 6669 times ]

The drum was turned around to face inwards after Brownie was given fertile eggs that night.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next